Don't knock Volvos...

Marvel

Okay Neil. I'll only put a couple on here. Good news is that his cell phone was stuck in the car and we we got it. It came through unscathed. We have lots of closeups that show brken welds, castings, etc.

He got his license back today, but they gave his a ticket. I really believe him when he says he wasn't speeding (especially in the light rain that was going on at the time), but the speedometer was stuck on 87mph. The officer didn't buy the story that the rpms shot up when he went airborne, then nosed into the side of the ditch.

post-7149-13819307344186_thumb.jpg

Bruce, his Mom and the Lord knew it wasn't his time. Shoot, I would call Volvo to create an ad campaign around this... He deserves a new Volvo for what they could make out of this miracle.

We have a 98 wagon and a 2000 sedan in the driveway with a combined 270,000 miles on them. Great, safe cars and you can fit a set of KHorns in the wagon.

He was indeed looked after. Thank God he is ok. That car did it's job well that is for sure. May you never get that call again.

The PO wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box huh? It does not take much grey matter to know that things move A LOT in a crash like that, the needle on the speedo could easily have BOUNCED into that postiton before it was pinned there.

Whoa! I hate those late night calls when you have kids. Thank goodness he is safe and no air bags either!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yes, Volvos are safe cars check out the Ford Five Hundred, which was a Volvo, they added side air bags and now it is the safest sedan on the road.

BTW, he is young and he was speeding, for the conditions of the road at the time. The speedometer is tied to tire rotation, is it not?

The needle on a speedo can move independent of what it is

SUPPOSED to be reading if it is jolted hard enough. Most now are electric not

mechanical, like the voice coil in a speaker there is no hard connection.

Even mechanical speedos have a slip connection. Think about

it, the needle stays pointed to a number, it doesnt spin like a clock. If it

was a hard connection to a turning shaft, it would spin like a clock.

Yes and just as your engine revs faster in neurtal, it revs faster when it is airborn. (no load on the engine means it accelerates as fast as a porsche as long as there is no load [;)])

BTW I wonder if the speedo went past the probably 130 max on the gauge, what would the officer have given him a ticket for surpassing the meter? Give him a break!

Yes and just as your engine revs faster in neurtal, it revs faster when it is airborn. (no load on the engine means it accelerates as fast as a porsche as long as there is no load [;)])

BTW I wonder if the speedo went past the probably 130 max on the gauge, what would the officer have given him a ticket for surpassing the meter? Give him a break!

I actually had full coverage on the car so I got a check from the insurance company today that I'm pretty happy with.

I also got to go by the wreckers and pull out the cam I had custom ordered from sweden and the turbocharger/manfold which are going on my other car: a 1984 242 turbo, this stuff along with what I yanked the other night adds up to well over a grand in parts that i get back out of the car to put on the 2 door.

The speedo only went to 120 and seemed to not be damaged in any way when I messed with it this afternoon at the wreckers, I'm not really worried about paying the ticket. As has already been said I'm just glad to be alive and well.

I'm resizing a bunch of pics right now and I'll have them up on my server later tonight.

Peace,

Josh

Glad to learn you are okay Josh. Having myself never had a serious accident (or any accident for that matter in the last 27+ years even when I drove a semi tractor trailer....in spite of all the 4-wheelers that tried to kill me on a daily basis) and having restored all of the Muscle cars in my collection myself, I can identify with your loss of the car, especially at the hand of another idiot driver on the road.

Scary thought that your life is always in the hands of the stupidest person able to obtain a drivers license.

I would challenge the ticket, simply because a properly functioning speedometer always returns to zero when the car is stopped. One indicating 87 mph is obviously damaged and not a reliable indicator of speed since the car is not even moving. Do they actually believe the car was still traveling 87 when the speedometer broke (and did no more damage than that to the car - if you could get Volvo to believe that, they would buy it from you and use it for advertising)? After all it is not like a windup clock that stopped when it got dropped (and even then they would need to prove that the clock stopped instantly, that the hands did not get dislodged, and it was set to the right time at the point of impact).

If we are to believe their basis for the ticket, than why didn't they write you up for driving at night with no headlights, since they were missing after the accident too.

BTW, he is young and he was speeding, for the conditions of the road at the time. The speedometer is tied to tire rotation, is it not?

Young, yes. Speeding, I would say no. Going with the flow of traffic on the Interstate, at or below posted speed limit. Light rain or drizzle.

Not like 285 around Atlanta where it is more like 80-85 most of the time.