Don't knock Volvos...

Marvel

After getting a call at 12:30 am, that my son was in a car accident, the heart rate goes up a bit. Josh (Invidiosulus here on the forum) was driving back to our house in his 23 yr old Volvo wagon. Someone tried to merge over into his lane on the Interstate, and he went off the road, down an embankment, rolled a few times, took out some trees and stopped upside down. He crawled out the window and got back up to the highway.

Minor cuts and scrapes, a small piece of glass was removed from his left eye (it wasn't embedded, just like a piece of dirt there). He will be stiff tomorrow....

The car is totalled, but it did its job. Lost most of the tools out of the car, a laptop, his phone. If he had been in his truck (2000 Ranger), he wouldn't have done so well.

But the most important thing is he is really okay. We will go back to the scene tomorrow and see what we can find.

Thanking God tonight!

Bruce

Also glad to hear he's ok. Just 1 1/2 weeks ago, we got word my bro in law was in intensive care, cracked skull as he evidently got jumped while in New Orleans. He's home now and all is ok, but as we all know, that initial feeling when the phone call comes can be sickening.

We're up and about this morning. Just a little stiff. His eye is doing fine.

Off to the HP to get his license. THe patrolman walked off with it to talk to the tow truck driver and didn't bring it back to him.

And to get to the site to see if we can find his phone, laptop or any of the tools that flew out while he was rolling.

Gonna be a busy Saturday, albeit one of rejoicing.

Deo Gratias.

Bruce

Those older Volvos were built like tanks! Not sure about the later front wheel drive models, probably those also. Your son was fortunate to have crashed in one of the safest cars ever made.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I drove a '91 Volvo 940 for ten years (never crashed it) until the engine gave up "prematurely" at 170K miles. I replaced the engine with a rebuilt and eventually sold the car to a friend who still drives it every day. The body and paint are still in excellent condition. Those old Volvos are really great cars.

Just read the news this morning...Glad Josh escaped injury and was able to walk away from his totalled wagon. Bet his next car will be a Volvo.

Guess the driver who merged into his lane never stopped to see if the person he forced off the interstate was still alive after that horrific accident. Probably never used his rear view mirrors, just merged into another lane blindly never knowing there was a car already there! So sad...

The old Volvos are great cars. He only paid about a hundred for it, but over the past two years dropped about $4k into it. New cam, shock/struts, different tranny, intercooler for the turbo, etc. MegSquirt computer to adjust all the engine tuning parameters. He had just replaced the transmission last week, and driven to Mongomery for a Volvo fest of some kind. He was pretty happy, as it checked out with 165hp., and plenty of torque.

Given what he paid for it, he only had liability on it too.

He has a two door sitting in the driveway, just waiting for him to start working on next.

Again, the most important thing is that he is okay. God and his mom must be watching over him in a special way. [:)]

Bruce

Please share the results of your recon mission.

Found the battery for the laptop. The CD drive was up in the trees (on the ground, but way off the road). Pieces fo taillights. A couple of his set of sockets, the front emblem. Don't know what all got shoveled into the wreck before they hauled it off. The cross member support for the tranny was in the ditch.

He went for the ditch to avoid involving maybe three other cars. Was probably still doing 60 when he hit the ditch. Saw dirt fly up and then all the trees spinning through the windshield. Took out quite a few trees, and as he said, they dissapated a lot of kinetic energy.

No one stopped. A later passerby saw the car in the ditch (only minutes later) and called 911. They asked him to get off at the next exit and go back to check before they would dispatch an ambulance. He did come back, and by the time he arrived, Josh was up on the side of the highway. Josh told me that the county sheriff, state hp officer and ambulance crew all looked at the car and then at him standing there, wondering how that happened.

Kept asking him if he had been drinking and finally did a test. He said all they would find was pancakes and coffee as he had just left the IHOP.

We will get to the towing place soon, and get pictures of the car. I'm hoping the toolbox wedged behind the back seat will still be there. Perhaps his phone is in the car too (hate to lose all the stored numbers).

Thank God your son is ok.

I have also received that call. My son did this just before his 21st birthday. He was on his way to work and it had just stopped raining. He was going too fast down the hill (visible in the shot from the ground), lost controll and went through the fence, over the bank, into the top of the trailer, pushed the trailer into the house, dropped down onto the toyota and rode it about 40 feet down the driveway. It took a ladder to get him out of his Jeep and he only has a few small glass cuts to the back of his left hand. God isn't finished with him yet either. I wouldn't let him out of the house without insurance so we had just hung up with the agent on the phone about 10 minutes before the accdident. Thankfully I had paid with a credit card so the insurance was in force. We had also upped the value of the coverage to just enough to pay for everything[:D]

post-14862-13819307310426_thumb.jpg