BASIC QUESTION

jcmusic

also, if that gets you back to where you were (slight hum) then try flipping the power plug on your receiver/preamp over 180. If any of your equipment has a 3 prong plug, get one of those 2 prong to 3 prong adapters and don't fasten the ground. Hum is often caused by gound loops (more than one connection to ground)

Jack

If you "lift" (am I using that term right???) all the grounds by using the cheater plugs (eliminating your ground) but plug all this into a "spike protector" which has a three pronged grounded plug and plug this into a grounded wall socket...have you re established the ground for everything at the wall outlet?

Bill

Folks have already given the basic ground loop advice (which is good). If none of this works I would also look at my direct to source connections at amp, pre and TT. I have seen, more than once, the loop introduced in an often used RCA connection (bad/cold solder, etc.). It is most often with TTconnections as well.

considering that once you get to the breaker box, your neutral and ground become one, yes, from the perspective of the load side of the spike protector, no.

Remember 3 prong outlets are for safety, offering a dedicated path to ground in case of malfuction. Polarized plugs (one blade wider) is to keep the "hot" wire from being connected to the chassis.

From an electrical standpoint the only difference between the neutral wire and the ground wire is the color.

OK guys the hum is only present when i turn on the phono pre amp. I did not have this hum until i put the TT into the system. I have tried fliping the plugs, changing the power cords etc. My question was is possible that the problem is in the phono pre amp? I get this hum with the TT off, no power to it.

Jay

1)Does the Phono Preamp have a 3 pronge power cord? If so try a 3 to 2 cheater plug on it.

2) Is the Phono preamp grounded to the main preamplifier or integrated amp? It should have a ground wire run between the two devices and possibly another between the turn table and the phono preamp.... or to make things more complicated any combination of grounded and not grounded.

What'd you end up doing to fix the problem?

I just wanted to throw in a quick comment about the cheater plugs; their use decreases the safety of your equipment. If a cheater plug works, then you know you have a problem with your power source that should be corrected. Though the sonic problem is gone, the electrical problem is still there. I use cheater plugs all the time so I'm not condoning their use, but twice now I've been electrocuted as a result. Just something to keep in mind.

• Moderators

What'd you end up doing to fix the problem?

I just wanted to throw in a quick comment about the cheater plugs; their use decreases the safety of your equipment. If a cheater plug works, then you know you have a problem with your power source that should be corrected. Though the sonic problem is gone, the electrical problem is still there. I use cheater plugs all the time so I'm not condoning their use, but twice now I've been electrocuted as a result. Just something to keep in mind.

Dang Dr.!!!

Electrocuted or just shocked? How on earth did you manage that? I get a good buzz everytime I touch the ic on the back of my MX110, 1963 preamp with non-polorized two prong plug, and and IC on the back of one of the amps. Not anything major, but it makes me jump like crazy every time it happens.

Travis

No, it was definetly electrocution - my arm was numb for a week both times.

I've been electrocuted dozens of times though - you kinda get used to

it after a while [:o] The worst time was when I was tucked in a very

tight spot behind some equipment racks trying to unscrew something

audio related. I slipped and got the screwdriver wedged in a 220V

socket and my arm got stuck in such a way that I couldn't pull out. It

seemed like forever for the circuit breaker to flip - my arm was hot

(not burned thank goodness) and I was all staticky. I was around 12 at

the time so you can imagine the horror for the old guys that wanted to

take advantage of my small size [H] Ignoring the scary part, it was by

far the coolest sensation ever - don't think I'll try it again

though... [;)] The only thing that hurt was my head that shot up and

smashed into a metal bar. They say the reaction to the shock is often

more dangerous than the actual shock itself.