3 More Days

jackpod

Colter, Thanks for pointing out that the top hats are removeable (i was unaware of this), however the way they are packed would mean I would have to unpack them to take off the tops. they are packed as follows "

Dartek, carboard, blankets, shrink wrap, and more cardboard, and finally more shrink wrap.

I have several moving blankets. It is about 160 miles each way from Flagstaff to Scottsdale, so it will be a slow drive back.

Larry,

but I have already designated the whole next week to listen and play, try this amp and that amp, listen and play. Phone answering machine already set, email can wait, do not disturb sign ready to go on the door...

I've waited a lifetime for this moment. Now lets just hope the truck isn't delayed or i have to wait until Monday[:o]

Jack !

I am about as excited as you are! You are going to have the greatest weekend! If you don't already have these, here are two CDs to 'break in' your new Klipschorns: "The Girl in the Other Room" by Diana Krall, and "Unplugged" by Eric Clapton... both great recordings with detail out the wahzoo.

As I recall, you will be trailering these home for the final hundred miles or so... I found it best to lay them face down on top of some padding and then run a strap across each one; that keeps them from bouncing. Oh, you probably won't need the pading between the speaker faces and the trailer bed... the things were packed pretty darned good.

My wifey is getting close to forgiving me for parting with the oiled oak beauties [;)] now that there are a pair of walnut K-horns now in the corners (which really look better with the furniture, but the grain pattern is not nearly so pretty as the oak ones).

Enjoy... and be sure to post some pictures. [:D]

...now, I've gotta go fix my avatar

• Moderators

Jack !

I am about as excited as you are! You are going to have the greatest weekend! If you don't already have these, here are two CDs to 'break in' your new Klipschorns: "The Girl in the Other Room" by Diana Krall, and "Unplugged" by Eric Clapton... both great recordings with detail out the wahzoo.

As I recall, you will be trailering these home for the final hundred miles or so... I found it best to lay them face down on top of some padding and then run a strap across each one; that keeps them from bouncing. Oh, you probably won't need the pading between the speaker faces and the trailer bed... the things were packed pretty darned good.

My wifey is getting close to forgiving me for parting with the oiled oak beauties [;)] now that there are a pair of walnut K-horns now in the corners (which really look better with the furniture, but the grain pattern is not nearly so pretty as the oak ones).

Enjoy... and be sure to post some pictures. [:D]

...now, I've gotta go fix my avatar

Those are two great choices on the music front. Have fun Jack, and drive safe. What are you hauling them in? I can't wait to see the photos.

Travis

Come on Friday, why friday? I get to drive to Scottsdale on Friday and pickup my Klipschorns (if the truck arrives on schedule) 97 oiled oak, mint, original owner

boy oh boy oh boy

Jack

Don't forget to take lots of pictures for us. Especially, the unboxing. Love to see how people pack the Khorns.

• Moderators

I just did the same thing about 2 weeks ago, although not khorns.

Got home Friday night and by Monday night I had listened to so much music I had even got into some Christmas music just because it was a good recording.

Have fun you won't forget it, the ride home is kind of rough, it can't happen fast enough. But it was fun, just having them in your possession helps the ride home.

You do know we expect some pictures.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures for us. Especially, the unboxing. Love to see how people pack the Khorns.

Well, here's how Jack's K-horns got all dressed up to travel...

First, the Dartek (the 2X4 that's showing is a kludge to make the side grilles absolutely crush proof)

Posted Image

Then wrapped up with huge cardboard

Posted Image

Then blankets and shrink wrap

Posted Image

And, finally, another layer of cardboard and the whole shebang shrink wrapped

Posted Image

They were shipped by an art handling and transportation company. They should know how to treat big, heavy objects!

That should do it...

Rob, you already have replacements? before I got mine? Hummm....

I have several packing blankets. I was planning on laying one down in the trailer and the other laying down in the back of my Yukon.

I made a deal with some young guys I know (weel young compared to me), they help me unload them and I will supply the movie, popcorn and beer.

I posted a picture of my soon to be filled corners in the "would I buy khorns again" thread. There will be pictures and reviews

Thanks for the all well wishes!

Jack

Rob, you already have replacements? before I got mine? Hummm....

Thanks for the all well wishes!

Jack

Yep... They didn't have to come from so far away! My corners were empty for only about a week. Anyway, I spent all the $$'s I got from the oiled oaks and "a bit more" (just like I told my wife!) and got the walnut 84s. After I get back from my trip, I'll do a separate post on these [heavily] modified K-horns.

In the meantime, your new speakers, in that superb room, are going to be more fun than you are supposed to have!

Rob

I have several packing blankets. I was planning on laying one down in the trailer and the other laying down in the back of my Yukon.

I made a deal with some young guys I know (weel young compared to me), they help me unload them and I will supply the movie, popcorn and beer.

Jack, here's just a couple of suggestions...

1. Be sure to have all your 'helpers' remove rings, watches, and belts (buckles can do a whole lot of damage!) before unpacking and while moving the K-horns around.

2. The one that rides inside your Yukon will probably have to be unpacked to fit. Not only does the HF section come off simply by the removal of two 1/4"-20 wing nuts, the side grilles also come off the same way. BE SURE to take off the side grilles before handling the speakers and re-install them just before you start listening. There have been many side grilles 'cracked,' or otherwise damaged by someone moving these big, heavy speakers around and forgetting that the side grilles are relatively fragile. Those 2X4 doo-dads that I made to protect the side grilles during transit come off along with the side grilles when you remove the wing nuts. The 2X4s may be too long to fit in your fireplace, but they would make a nice glow as Diana Krall does her thing.

3. I noticed as my son was packing the speakers that I hadn't done all that great a job of waxing them. The bright Texas sun revealed some streaks. You will want to re-wax them once they are in place. I used Briwax (clear), but I suppose any quality furniture paste wax would be OK. Briwax is available in woodworking stores and on line ( http://www.briwax-online.com/original.html )... it's good stuff.

For gosh saks, drive carefully!

Rob

AMEN to the above disassembly instructions, especially with regards to

the side grilles. One of mine was cracked by a previous errant move.

The tendency to want to swing these large cabinets onto one corner and

'walk' them across the floor puts incredible pressure on the

unsupported 3/8 ply frames of the grillles.

Regardless of how good of 'packing' job has been done on the Khorns. If

they are too bulky to dead lift up onto the trailer or pickup bed, take

the shrink wrap off and disassemble. The individual boxes are must less

bulky and easily moved.

Then take care as there are two 1/4" posts protruding from the bottom of the top hats- DO NOT stack them!

Michael