Alk es - networks coming soon

khorn#1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just jumped to the last page of this thread. Are we back to this again? I hope whoever is saying that a fuse should not be used also believes that speaker wire make a big difference.

Just want to share my experience. You will not hear a difference and are risking your tweeters for no reason at all. My old system passed some static noise a blew a fuse, which could have been my K77's. Why risk it? I just built a pair of Type A's for speakers that I have sold and added fuses to the tweeter section. I feel better knowing that the new owner is protected.

FWIW, the guys over on the B&W forum are debating over whether or not to run grills. The big decision seems to be that nobody can hear a difference, but because there may be a difference, even though inaudible, the grills should be left off. As silly as it sounds it is no different than this fuse thing.

The fuse in the ALK isn't for the tweeter -- it's for the woofer. The ALK doesn't have tweeter protection. Whatever went through your system that was bad enough to take out the fuse obviously wasn't bad enough to take out your tweeter(s).

At this point what I think we have decided is that if you use the wrong fuse in the ALK, it can change raise the DCR enough in the low pass section which with some amps -- can lower damping factor enough to have an audibly negative result. Incidently -- in some cases, speaker wire can do the same thing. Additionally, if you change to a different conductor, or use a cable with a radically different geometry -- you can certainly hear it. See if you can borrow a set of silver speaker cables from someone, or try some Goertz.

Whether or not grills affect the sound depends on the fabric. Some is acoustically transparent -- some isn't. In the case of Heritage, it most definitely impacts the voicing of the top section. A lot of vintage stuff is the same way, where the cloth is actually used as part of the final voicing. The DQ-10 and the original Advent immediately come to mind. The DQ-10 in particular sounds like a completely different speaker without the cloth attached to the metal grill.

Well went to put the speaker wire under the fuse. To my amazment it was already there. I was shocked. I didn't put it there so how did it get there? Then I remembered loaning the ALK's to another Klipsch owner who had Lascallas. He was the culprit. NO wonder they sounded so good. (LOL)

This legend is obviously much larger than I once thought. The wire must have been in there all the time for at least 1 yr.

Crazy

Don't worry Al, I will, and It will most likely branch off into several different discussions just like this one did. It's just the nature of the forum and actually I have learned alot from this very thing happening to a thread but, we all would have to admit, this fuse issue has gone a little far. Fuse or not, I am very looking forward to the networks arriving, installing and listening to them.