HERITAGE HOME THEATER

J89CHORUS

debating going to a heritage home theater set-up, using my 89 chorus for mains, and heresy3's for a center and rears, would this make sense? would it be better to use non-heritage for the rears? such as dipoles....i have an all paradigm system right now, studio 40's, cc450 and cinima 90's for rears, would the klipsch set-up be better? right now i use my chorus for music only, would they be decent for home theater use? my local ultimate electronics claims they will sell me the heresy's for $550 a piece in black or oak with no stand...any input would be appreciated, thanx

Chorus/Heresies would be a good match up, not perfect, but better than mixing Heritage with non-Heritage.

With 7.1 gaining popularity, many HT fans are getting away from the dipole type speakers in favor of more direct radiators.

Room layout and acoustics are critical. What are the dimensions of your room and how much 2ch/HT use will the system have?

You'll probably want to add a subwoofer eventually as well.

Michael

An all heritage HT is AWESOME! I am running a Academy center, two Fort'e s a mains, Quartets as sides and KG1s as rears (the heresys wouldn't fit back there). Your Chorus speakers would sound fantastic in the front. Another one if you could find it, would make the perfect center and Fortes, Quartets then Heresys for the back would be enough to make you grin from ear to ear! Heresys would be good, just not as good for center duty. I would make the center (in order) 1 Chorus, 2 Academy, 3 Forte or Quartet, 4 Heresy. This is just my opinion so that and $3.50 will buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks[;)]

I have Chorus 1's for mains - Academy center (which is about to be replaced with another Chorus) - and Heresy III's for rears - and Velodyne DD-18 sub.

All in a room 31 x 35 x 7.5

I am very happy and can't wait for my new center.

I realize that H III's are not a perfect match for rears, but I have been advised by some pretty smart people on this forum that the most important match is across the front. And from what I can tell they are right. The academy is nice but I anticipate a big improvement with the third Chorus.

I don't think the Heresy is your best choice for a center with the Chorus.

I think the Chorus work extremely well as mains. With a big sound, very efficient, lots of seperation and soundstage. I think the only thing substantially better would be LaScalas, Belles, or of course K-horns.

DON"T skimp on the sub.

• Moderators

" I have Chorus 1's for mains - Academy center (which is about to be replaced with another Chorus) - and Heresy III's for rears - and Velodyne DD-18 sub. "

You are going to love the third Chorus for a center, guaranteed.

thanx for the info... my room is only 26x13.5, i had the chance to get some khorns, but i think it would be overkill? i am trying to figure out how i want to set everything up, right now i have a rotel rsx-1067 receiver i'm using upstairs with my paradigm setup and rotel components in the basement for 2 ch with my chorus, the chorus sound better in the basement which is were i will be building my home theater. i was going to have both my paradigm and the chorus set up as mains, basically having both systems in the basement using all the components i have, so i could use the chorus for music and my paradigms for theater, but then i thought of just going all klipsch for the theater and using my 2 ch components with my studio 40's upstairs....

i forgot to mention i do have a paradigm ps-10 sub......where do you find an academy center? they are older right? e-bay/ audiogon? the reason i was thinking about the heresy's is because they are available and i won't have to wait and search for the older klipsch speakers to finish my set-up, i also have a small room 26x13x7....

I don't think the Khorns would be overkill. I sometimes run movies on mine, and modern soundtracks are fine, super dynamic, and fairly sparkle. Classic soundtracks (magnetic stereo from 50s, 60s, 70s) are not as impressive, though some were better in theatre than modern ones. They sometimes sound better on more modest spks, where the expectations are not as high.

mmmm, chorus based HT - I've got Chorus mains and Heresy rears - at one time had a heresy front center and rear center. As long as you sit directly on axis with the center heresy you're fine - otherwise it quickly gets a bit groggy due to the beaming of the squaker/tweeter.

Is this a dedicated room?

Is the $550 for brand new Heresies? Are they H3's? You can usually get decent pairs on the used market for $300 or so.

it's not going to be a completely dedicated theater, but pretty close, going to have a bar in the rear. the $550.00 was quoted to me today from someone at a local ultimate electronics, he had just got done speaking to the klipsch rep and he said the rep told him there would be a 2-3 week wait, but he said it would probably be more like 4 weeks.. yes, brand new h3's! i thought they were going for $1500.00 a pair? don't know if i believe it or not? seems cheap.....thanx for the imput, nice to hear from someone with similar equip...

Klipschorn's overkill, that's funny. I guess I am overkilled since I run four of them.

There is NO such thing as overkill, dynamics and realism are right off the scale.

P.S. That $550 price is for EACH speaker and not the pair I would bet money on it.

You will totally love Chorus as mains. You might want to consider looking for Chorus/Forte/Quartet to round out the other spots over the H3s. For a while my HT was a mix of Chorus mains and Forte/Acadamies and it was really nice.

Good luck and keep us posted.

"keep the three up front as a bare min the same.. Timbre will matter..."

What Indy said - at least keep your front three the same.

Do it. After Heritage HT, there is no going back. All Belles up front in mine, and modded Altecs in the rear (modded, that is, to sound like Klipsch Heritage!!!!!)

Carl.