First fire of the new season

Big Piney

Micheal, I'm about as far out in the sticks as you can get, and I even order wood. By the time you find someone that will let you cut wood on their property, cut the tree's down, delimb them, cut up into logs, haul those home, split the logs, stack the wood and wait a year for em to dry, it's worth the $125/cord to have someone bring em to the house already split and dry. All that's left is to stack em. We'll go through 2 cords this winter, so even just stacking it is a pain in the back. Literally.

Micheal, I'm about as far out in the sticks as you can get, and I even order wood. By the time you find someone that will let you cut wood on their property, cut the tree's down, delimb them, cut up into logs, haul those home, split the logs, stack the wood and wait a year for em to dry, it's worth the $125/cord to have someone bring em to the house already split and dry. All that's left is to stack em. We'll go through 2 cords this winter, so even just stacking it is a pain in the back. Literally.

I'm with ya there. I would have to pay somebody $7 an hour for me to leave, etc, etc, etc. I get my wood delivered and stacked for $45 a rick, cut to my specs and seasoned. Got 4 rick last month and will probably need another 4-5 before the winter is over. Depends on how cold it gets but that business in Buffalo is not a good sign. It's too early to see what the persimmon seeds predict and I haven't seen any wooly worms to see what they say. The wood stove is the only heat we have but it works out really well. Just something about a fire.

• Moderators

I'm with ya there. I would have to pay somebody $7 an hour for me to leave, etc, etc, etc. I get my wood delivered and stacked for $45 a rick, cut to my specs and seasoned. Got 4 rick last month and will probably need another 4-5 before the winter is over. Depends on how cold it gets but that business in Buffalo is not a good sign. It's too early to see what the persimmon seeds predict and I haven't seen any wooly worms to see what they say. The wood stove is the only heat we have but it works out really well. Just something about a fire.

Hey I don't feel so bad now, a wood stove is all we have for heat also.

2 to 3 cords a year and it's almost to warm in the house, we have the front door open and use the screen door .

We love it it's a different kind of heat, doesn't dry out the air like a central unit.

I cut my own wood, collected a little here and there, some from work that I get paid to take.

With some of the pines we took off this property and dug the roots I saved the stumps, split up for all the lighter wood I could ever want.

• 3 weeks later...

Back on top, question for all you wood burning guys...

I got my cut/split/dried wood delivered today, 2 1/2 cords in my driveway.

It's mostly red oak with some maple thrown in, so he says, but all I can see is red oak at this point. It's a big pile. I took a random couple pieces of the oak, split it to kindling size and started a fire in the fireplace. Or should I say, tried to. No go. Had some water spitting out the ends of small pieces, but they had no intention of burning easily.

Threw some of last years wood on it, got a fire started, added the initial new sticks back to the fire, lots of hissssssing and water coming out the ends of the sticks once they got good and hot. They started to burn, and still are, but needed to get pretty hot before they burned well. I called the wood guy as soon as I couldn't get a fire started easily. (Our regular supplier retired, so starting over.) He stated the wood was over a year old, but had been in 8' lengths until he had a call for delivery, then he would cut them up to fireplace size. This is also his first year of selling wood. He offered to come and take it back., refund our money. (Big load, lots of labor.) Or give us a partial refund on the purchase price. Question is, how fast should I expect this stuff to dry? Once I got the fire up to strength, new pieces burnt readily, so not a huge concern, but I am skeptical of the whole load at this point. Should I take the load with $50 off? (Was $240 delivered, I believe.) Or just be a hard a$$ and have him come take it away? If this stuff is going to dry in 4 weeks now that it's split, I'm fine with it. I just don't know how long to expect that to take!?!?!

I have until Sunday to call him back. I wish life were easier. [*-)]

ok, I cheat- used to have wood burning fireplace at the old house, but after leaving the coals to burn out that chimney just sucked too much room heat away.

new (or older) home has gas logs in a real masonry 'heatilator' style enclosure. Starts right now, plenty of heat, shut er down and throw the damper when done.

I also have hot water baseboard radient heat in this home. Put new boiler in last spring ($5,000) and insulated about 14" blown in cellulose ($3500)- so there's no 'burnt air' feel and the heat is warm and comfortable. No drafts- more importantly- no fan noise!

But I do miss the crackly logs. Somebody burn me a DVD of a good blazing fire so I can pop it in, will ya?

M

Back on top, question for all you wood burning guys...

I got my cut/split/dried wood delivered today, 2 1/2 cords in my driveway.

It's mostly red oak with some maple thrown in, so he says, but all I can see is red oak at this point. It's a big pile. I took a random couple pieces of the oak, split it to kindling size and started a fire in the fireplace. Or should I say, tried to. No go. Had some water spitting out the ends of small pieces, but they had no intention of burning easily.

Threw some of last years wood on it, got a fire started, added the initial new sticks back to the fire, lots of hissssssing and water coming out the ends of the sticks once they got good and hot. They started to burn, and still are, but needed to get pretty hot before they burned well. I called the wood guy as soon as I couldn't get a fire started easily. (Our regular supplier retired, so starting over.) He stated the wood was over a year old, but had been in 8' lengths until he had a call for delivery, then he would cut them up to fireplace size. This is also his first year of selling wood. He offered to come and take it back., refund our money. (Big load, lots of labor.) Or give us a partial refund on the purchase price. Question is, how fast should I expect this stuff to dry? Once I got the fire up to strength, new pieces burnt readily, so not a huge concern, but I am skeptical of the whole load at this point. Should I take the load with $50 off? (Was $240 delivered, I believe.) Or just be a hard a$$ and have him come take it away? If this stuff is going to dry in 4 weeks now that it's split, I'm fine with it. I just don't know how long to expect that to take!?!?!

I have until Sunday to call him back. I wish life were easier. [*-)]

Leaving the red oak outside in Minnesota during the winter means it is going to freeze. You'll never get the moisture out of it this season. That makes for a smokey hard to burn fire even if you mix in dried wood. You'll probably be frustrated all winter, I would have him take it back. If you keep it the oak should be good for next season though, it just needs to be stacked so air can get through the pile this summer. BTW I love chopping wood, cut all my own.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK,

I sleep all night and I work all day.

He's a lumberjack and he's OK,

He sleeps all night and works all day.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,

I like to press wild flowers,

I put on women's clothing,

And hang around in bars.

- Jim

That's pretty much what I figured, that it would dry fairly fast, but wanted a second opinion. I have a rack downstairs that is roughly 5' wide by 4' high that I fill up every fall, I might need to double it this year. Seems a lot of the pieces are single splits of trunks/branches that were originally 12 inches or larger, so the splits are still pretty large, I might need to split them again not only to speed drying, but to make them more managable in the fireplace. Why do I get the feeling that by Sunday night I'll be looking forward to work Monday so I can get some rest?!?!

I hadn't thought about the fringe benefit of humidifying the house as the wood dries. We were just talking the other day about getting a decent humidistat, last year the downstairs cement floor was still drying and we didn't have much of a problem, but would be nice to know exactly where our moisture levels are.

Thanks for the 2nd, and 3rd and 4th and 5th opinions. Now I just need to figure out how much, if any, discount to expect.