Great weekend - & the winner is?

Cornman

Had a blast this past weekend auditioning differt gear to go with my 1980 cornwalls.

Heres a list of the gear compared.

1- Hk 930 receiver

2- Pioneer SX1050 rec.

3- Marantz 2230 rec

4- Jolida 202 integrated tube amp

5- Mcintosh 2505 SS amp.

6- Akai AM3 integrated amp.

All of the above were fed with the Nad bee cd player & thru a customized Conrad Johnson PV3. Could not get all the equipment on the table at one time,well over 100 lb's.in the photo; had to rotate it.

Since I can not yet afford VRD"s yet, I was testing what was avialable to me.

And so which of the 6 do you think was the winner? The winner was like peanut butter & jam in combo with the other component's creating a great synergy. Thank's again to all the fourm member's for the great advise, your recomendations have all been right on to my ear's.

post-20502-13819314351654_thumb.jpg

Thebes, the mods were done by a locall hobbyist Dr.John Day a well known modder in the Austin area. All the out put & cupling caps. were replaced with Guderman paper in oil caps & the phono stage has metalized caps. The standard volume control was replaced by a 27 mm Alps Blue Velvet; tubes are Tungsol, Brimar, GE. This being my first pre. I cant speak about the differences from the stock version, but do know I like what it did for my system regardless of which amp it is coupled with.

Dave, my sequence of ranking would be -

1- Mc.

2- HK930

3- Akai

4- Jolida

5- Sx1050

6- Marantz

GRB, as for what set's the Mc. apart, - a sonic signature that more real, more naturall, more detailed, more revealing. I dont have the experience that most of the guys here have to give a detailed description, but I just plan liked it & not buy a small margin. I knew from the info I had read it could be better but I was actuall surprised by -How Much Better. I hope these comments will be usefull to other beginners. I could have saved a lot of money by just buying the Mc. from the start, but I would have missed out on the learning process that goes along with this audio evolution. My next step will be to Install some high quality crossover in the Cornwalls, & I think I will be very content with the sound. Famous last words - Right -

Cornman

Thanks for the details on the PV3. Especially getting rid of that

awefull volumne knob that is stock on these things. Maybe I'll use

these mods as a winter soldering project. Haven't set anything

electronic on fire in months now.

When you go to do the xover upgrades PM DeanG one of our resident xover

craftsman. Also, there is some sort of attenuator or something

some folks like. PM 3dZapper about that and he'll fill you

in. Finally, do a search function on Corny mods, there's tons of

info here on them.