Phooey to the wife (and her disdain to the Jubilees!!)

Coytee

OK Bass Boy.................Hear this and hear it well, this is fact according to old Buckette......"The Rolling Stones are the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World"....take that to the bank.....When I leave this Earth, and it won't be soon, "Wild Horses" will be my swan song........that's your problem,NO Stones...what are we going to do about that? Not all their material is Classic, but the ones that are, ARE. Have seen their last two tours, had never seen them before..............What a Band Live.......You need to hang around me more, so I can help you put some taste back in your Life.........I'll stop now, because I could carry on all day about Keith and the Boys...............Go make your wife happy with you again.......................PAL .... What point was it you where trying to make??????????????????

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must have the most understanding wife on the planet. While I don't have Jub's I do have 4 Klipschorns, a La Scala, a pair of Heresy's and dual 15" Velodyne Servo subwoofers in the same room with 200W each available to them from the 7 channel true mono block Sherbourn 7/2100A and I rarely get asked to turn it down. The bass is so low and intense it can easily move the weight of a queen size sleeper sofa with people on it.

Typical listening volume is -60 to -50 for Sat TV and -45 to -35 for DVD's, my DBX 14/10 measures line voltage in real time and some of those dish channels can get into the 3-4 volt signal range so I do have to turn it down some on occasion.

I have cranked it into the 125db - 130db range when the house is cleared out sometimes and the louder it gets the more detailed and lifelike it sounds with no hint of breakup. [:)]

Here is a good hint to get the WAF's to like our new speakers, or upgrades. They will let you play it louder with something (however lame it may be) they want to hear. Then give them some cash, send them out shopping, and crank the pi$$ out of your favorites. I have 2 types of music. The stuff I want to rock out too, and then the stuff the wife enjoys.

Jeff

DBX 14/10 measures line voltage in real time and some of those dish channels can get into the 3-4 volt signal range so I do have to turn it down some on occasion.

Charles Charles Charles... hmmm...

I forgot about that tidbit...(the 14/10)

Given I'm bi-amping, (would that mean EACH amp is getting "X" volts or would the active crossover divide it by two? Would the active crossover divide it in some other fashion?

I've been wondering how to calculate, guess or infer, what kind of watts the BX-1 is putting out (at same time the 2102 so I can get a total guesstamate)

If I put the 14/10 into volt mode and let's just say it says TWO volts even (for conversation)

What exactly would that tell me? The BX-1 would be getting two volts of input and if so, could I THEN estimate what kind of watts it's putting out?

I'm not into EXACT watts, just "10" verses "125" is good enough, I don't care if it's 10 verses 25.

Or, would the 14/10 NOT be of any use to me in that format?

If it WOULD, how might I then calculate what the estimated wattage is?

hmmm...

[8-)]

DBX 14/10 measures line voltage in real time and some of those dish channels can get into the 3-4 volt signal range so I do have to turn it down some on occasion.

Charles Charles Charles... hmmm...

I forgot about that tidbit...(the 14/10)

Given I'm bi-amping, (would that mean EACH amp is getting "X" volts or would the active crossover divide it by two? Would the active crossover divide it in some other fashion?

I've been wondering how to calculate, guess or infer, what kind of watts the BX-1 is putting out (at same time the 2102 so I can get a total guesstamate)

If I put the 14/10 into volt mode and let's just say it says TWO volts even (for conversation)

What exactly would that tell me? The BX-1 would be getting two volts of input and if so, could I THEN estimate what kind of watts it's putting out?

I'm not into EXACT watts, just "10" verses "125" is good enough, I don't care if it's 10 verses 25.

Or, would the 14/10 NOT be of any use to me in that format?

If it WOULD, how might I then calculate what the estimated wattage is?

hmmm...

[8-)]

I don't think that feeding the signal into the active crossover would reduce the input voltage in half, in fact there is probably little or no loss of signal output.

I am also not sure if you can use the input signal voltage to measure wattage output, especially since it will differ by frequency and would have to be averaged.

The DBX 14/10 measures it on -47 to +15 scale with "0" being 1 volt. +15 is like 6 volts input. The scale is in the user manual so you can use the readings to calculate line voltage. The second you plug the omnidirectional mic in the 14/10 will transition to DB SPL measurement vs. DB V.

Bottom line is I am sure you are not using very much power, even if the DBX BX1 had power meters the meter deflection would be so slight it would still be tough to figure actual wattage output. You would need a true RMS meter to calculate that and they are pricey, best to sit back, open a cool one and just enjoy the music and not worry about how many watts the amps are feeding the speakers.

You could always get another amp like the Yamaha MX-1000u that not only has gorgeous big red LED output meters but a real wattage output meter that reads actual wattage in real time with a numeric scale like "10.2w" etc.

Oh, I sold that 5BX-DS private sale.

...to which she would reply "I don't listen to live music - which makes

the volume negative infinity" [:(] And that's when you drag her to a

live show of some flamer womanizer and put her in the front row -

damage her ears a bit and then she'll never care anymore [;)][6]

(gosh, that's so evil....)

I think we've ALL had our better halves ask/beg/bi*** to us "TURNNNNNNNNNN THAT DOWNNNNNNNNNN" at least once or twice? [6] [6]

Ok, my HF horn is hooked up to a MC-2102 with 100x2 watts available. The LF horn is hooked up to a bridged dbx BX-1, bridged to something like 450x2

Ever think your wife might have a clue as to where you should head with your audio system?

• Moderators

Christy keeps you honest, doesn't she?

Well I don't have a problem with honesty, now the sick humor, bad taste or just smart a$$ remarks, she has a full time job trying to keep up with those.

It really bothers her the way i word things, and the spelling, I could go on.....

To answer the question YES .

Hey Marvel I caught that line somewhere, about your new friend, good luck, you deserve it.