My Klipsch/ Denon HT

darrylp

Thanks for the encouraging comments Dave.

I very much appreciate them.

20 years ago, I had a tri-amplified Mark Levinson setup with stacked Quad Electrostatics (I'm really showing my age) and Decca ribbon tweeters, Linn-Sondek turntable, Nakamichi 1000 etc.

I had a fiend come around with some opera LPs.

We listened and I discovered I was listening to the sound and he was listening to the music!

A defining moment for me and something Ive tried to guard against ever since.

I'm very, very keen on HT and TV but I try to watch and be absorbed by the A/V experience not the isolated audio or visual qualities (I'm usually but not always successful).

Regards

Darryl

• 1 month later...

montigue did you scroll down??? It's all there.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Darryl,

Good system you have there.The Klipsch are great for HT very dynamic.I like the reciever and mains as well as the center(have them too Smile.gif ).

The large JVC VCR is very neat.I should try and get one of those from my Klipsh dealer as they also carry JVC.

Clean setup,definite class.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hello

Firstly, thanks for the positive comments.

Since I posted the info I've decided to upgrade various aspects and I've a second Velodyne HGS 15 sub on order and as soon a there's stock in the country (hopefully within the next 10 days), Ill have it installed.

Then Im probably going to put in a Bryston 6B-ST to drive the fronts and centre channels. This'll only be done in February.

Various people have suggested that because the Klipsch Ref 7 series are all so efficient Im not going to hear a difference with the Bryston but I've arranged a try it and see option with the dealer.

Monty, in order to be able to correctly open and read a PDF file firstly you need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your machine.

You can download it from here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Secondly, download the file and save it somewhere with easy access eg your desktop.

Then right click on the file and a dialogue box will open with usually third from the top Open with .

From here select choose program and then select Adobe Acrobat and at the bottom of this dialogue box is a square to tick which says: Always use the selected program to open this type of file

Please tick this box and you should be in business.

Hope this helps

Regards

Darryl

darrylp,

How big is you screen and how far do you sit from it?

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT LCD Projector

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Wow....nice, very nice indeed. Definitely looks like a lot of head scratching occurred in order to pull off a great HT without it "looking" like a HT room. Best of both worlds and definitely high on the WAF chart.

Question - can you expound on the Crestron Controllers?

Thanks!! Smile.gif

Tom Adams

Hi guys

Firstly, once again thanks for the comments.

I havent replied earlier because I was waiting for the delivery of the second Velodyne HGS-15 and it arrived at 7.30am today.

Its hooked up with temporary connections so I can move the two subs around to establish the best spot. So far facing into the room on the side of the cabinet seems to be the optimal position however even in this position it seems to need the volume control higher than on the original sub. I'm feeding the second one directly from the outputs of the first and have the crossovers switched out.

The instruction book mentions this extra volume requirement but I dont understand why?

My screen is 10ft diagonally and I sit approx 14ft away. This gives me a really big picture which took a few days to get used to.

The resolution of the projector is so good that used with DVDs or either of the two digital boxes, the picture is outstanding.

Standard free to air broadcasts are however totally un-watchable as the quality of the analogue signal is not good enough to be watched from such a close position. Likewise the analogue cable service quality is occasionally marginal too.

The Crestron is a programmable RF remote similar to the Philips Pronto however its far easier to write macros for, has a large colour screen and most importantly of all, activates the various units by IR transmitters physically attached to the individual components from a CPU box.

This in turn provides what they call video sensors and these enable the CPU to know if the individual system components are on or off, the light tight shutters are open or closed and the screen is up or down.

I used a Pronto previously and occasionally a component would be out of sequence and would be switched off by a macro when it should have been on and visa versa.

My Crestron is programmed so one touches the screen and is presented with a choice of:

1.Either of the two tuners

2.The cable box

3.The DVD player

4.Either of the two VCRs or the HD Recorder.

When you select an appropriate button, everything happens eg the screen is lowered, the shutters close, the Denon switches on and switches to both the correct input and to the appropriate sound mode, the Sony projector switches on and automatically selects the correct screen format (16:9 0r 4:3) and the correct input source and lastly the selected source component switches on and the Crestron screen changes to the appropriate screen to control that component.

My apologies for the long answers but I did my best to truncate it while still retaining a logical flow (actually the Crestron is programmed to do a lot more but I'm sure everyones bored by now).

Regards

Darryl