Considering RF-7's? Talk me into...talk me outta

BS Button

Since moving my La Scala's to another forum member (mainly due to my hatred of black speaks), I now long for my next pair. Nothing has come up within 250 miles lately. I've considered Khorns, but I haven't the necessary corners. Should I hold out for a mint pair of La Scala's? or trip the switch on a new pair of RF-7's. I welcome arguments for both and can already tell you that I miss the midrange on the Scala's. The Cornwalls are dialed in rather well with new B-3 networks, but I still miss the La Scala's...arguements to ensue...

BS

Why settle for anything less than La Scala's...............less expensive doesn't mean squat if your not happy with them..................After having those BEC crossovered La Scalas here for awhile anything of less quality would be a disappointment........Stay in the Heritage Line.........you know deep down that is the right thing to do......................talkin' you outta....

Have you heard RF 7s? If not then I would go and hear a pair first thing.

You can probably get them for a good price since they have been replaced.

They have better bass but if you really liked the midrange of the La Scalas then the RF 7s may be lacking.

You might try making a pair of CornScalas [:D] . I thought about it but ended up with pair of Fortes that I use only for bass. So it is almost like making CornScalas. I guess you might call my speaker set up La Scalates or La Scortes.

Did the La Scalas bass cutting out around 50 hz bother you or did they have enough bass for your taste?

If bass was okay then I say get another pair of La Scalas. If want more bass with the LS midrange then make a pair of Cornscalas.

post-13699-1381931455987_thumb.jpg

Many speak volumes on RF-7's.........it's just if you have owned La Scalas, how can you go back to anything of less quality and performance.........if I had owned La Scala's I would probably look at modding another pair, or the progression of UP to Khorns......OR..

YEAH COYTEE......maybe even the big leap to JUBILEE'S..........

NICE......................Would you give up either of those pairs for RF-7's? Be Honest about it....................

No not for RF 7s I saw my first pair of KHorns and La Scalas back in 1980 and the Heritage sound has always been my favortie. The RF 7s are a great speaker but I just prefer the midrange on the La Scalas and now with the Fortes bass added on everything sounds really great!

If Dean is close to you and you can afford them go listen to them. They might be what you are looking for. Unless they are black.

Deans speakers just might be the ticket.....what wood or color they are doesn't mean that much to me.........They are pricey, to be sure, well worth the added expense, still way below list price....2003's and highly modded....what's not to like.....just not in the cards right now for me, I have already approached the idea of owning them, but they are out of my reach at present....still thinkin'......always thinkin'..................HEY, Wanna buy a Porsche 911???????????

Not too much coming down on the RF-7 front...where's Klipschdude when you need him?

BS

I ain't Klipschdude but here is my take:

7's with dean mods are very good & enjoyable listening.

CW's are very good & enjoyable listening. Different flavor sound compared to 7's.

Cornscala 2's (or whatever you want to call them) give me the best of what I liked out of the 7's & CW's. Still sort of in your face, wide, open & crystal clear. I'm sure there are better speakers and/or applications out there but that is where i'm at currently owning all 3.

If you are bored, the 7's sound different enough from the heritage i've heard I think you will enjoy them. Swapping back & forth is kind of fun.

JT

RF7's are quite capable speakers,with the right amplification. I use mine part of a HT setup.

Have a listen and then decide,do not let others decide for you.

This said,Heritage is where the true Klipsch blood lies,the Klipsch sound is Heritage.

[:D]

there is a sound for each taste,for my part I can fully enjoy Martin Logans ,Dynaudios, Klipsches . Each does something the other will not,bringing magic to your ears.

I sure don't want to talk you into or out of anything.I always buy based on a thorough audition in the best possible place,my house on decent gear.I'm sure your ears will talk you into or out of things,but people,nope,all opinions,sometimes uninformed.I love to read reviews on audio review.com,everythings a 5 star,it's all good,the junkiest crap every made will be rated as good as Krell.

The thing with 7's is they cannot tolerate any weak link.In my years with 7's I've auditioned a few prepros and avrs that made em' sound pretty bad.If I didn't know their capability and only heard that at an audition I would not look twice.These speakers are not plug and play,I have some klf 20's and they can sound great on an onkyo,forget the 7's.To me the upsides are the pin point image,low level dynamics and massive roar when you crank em',it's endless volume until you're sure the cabinet will blow apart any minute.If,and I stress if,you're really interested you'd have to be prepared to do what it takes to make em' shine,a good source and smile at the appropriate time.

Todd,

Thanks again for selling me your LaScalas. I am loving them, even more after I took your advice and put in the ALK's. Good thing you did not like black, because we love the black in our greatroom and they look awesome in there.

Hold out for another pair. It will be worth the wait. I like rf-7's but love lascalas

Jeff

How far are you from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Knoxville?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive got a Peach, Ive also got a dbx-120 (though its out of the system since it is SOOOO not needed with the Jubilees). That alone will help mimick most of your system? [:)]

You can come on by, bring some of your favorite music and have the keys to the system. If you want, Ill put the 120 back in so you can try it both ways. I also have a 5bx and a 14/10 plumbed into the tape loop. Oh, and wattage is provided by a Mc-2102 on top and a dbx BX-1 on the bottom.

Ive got a pair of LaScalas also, with Als es networks in them, stock drivers unless you want to patch a JBL-2404 into them & sit it on top. The bad news about the LaScalas is theyre downstairs and if you want to do an a/b with them next to the Jubilees, wed have to cart them upstairs (trust me, we dont want to do that).

I wonder how many more times Ill make blanket invitations before someone else gives it a whirl?

Good thing I'm not living on kickbacks for every person I persuade into giving them a listen [:o]