HDMI Cables...Are they worth it?

aviserated

Try digitalconnection.com/.

JJK

These guys are on my way home from work and I have spent some time talking to them. They do lots of custom high end installs. Their take on cables is that the difference between a good component setup and a good HDMI cable might be seen if you ran them through a switch box and cycled between the two instantly back and forth. HOWEVER, if you got up to go to the bathroom and someone switched them while you were gone, they doubted you would EVER be able to tell the difference.

In other words, either setup would work just fine and it is not worth the money to change from one to the other. When you ask between Svideo and component or HDMI, YES there is a large difference and it is well worth the investment of the change over.

Just my $0.02, YMMV!

I noticed that he mycablemart place has a 262 ft. HDMI cable, now that's one long cable.

I can't imagine pulling that thing through with the ends already on it.

Can you take the ends off and put them back on? I am piped for the projector, but I will have the pull the cable through and I am concerned about getting the end through.

Before anyone goes crazy with long HDMI runs, you might want to take into consideration that an HDMI signal is optimally (best case) effective up to 15 meters (~50 feet). Beyond that you will need an HDMI Repeater / Amplifier. And also be aware that most commonly available repeaters are effective for ~20 meters/~60 feet at 1080p and slightly more (~30 meter/100 feet) for lower resolutions. With each amplified addition, you will increase the noise floor slightly.

From a HD source, HDMI can't be beat. However, if you are thinking of buying one of those Cheap digital upconvert DVD players to get a superior picture on your new plasma TV, think twice.

From my reading, the digital/analogue converter in your set will probably do a better job than the cheap player from Best Buy or Walmart.

I bought a digital upconvert Toshiba DVD player a few months back, and find that the picture from the component video cables is better than the HDMI out from the unit.

as always..YMMV

From a HD source, HDMI can't be beat. However, if you are thinking of buying one of those Cheap digital upconvert DVD players to get a superior picture on your new plasma TV, think twice.

So buying a cheap Panasonic HDMI DVD player and using it's HDMI output will not make my picture look any better?

I just received my 3' HDMI cable from MyCableMart.com. I will post my thoughts soon.

Please do. I bought a 5 disc Panasonic upconvert DVD player and am using the HDMI. I think it looks pretty good. I am sure not as good as true HD DVD, but still pretty darn good.

I think it costs me around $150.

What is that model #. Does it load pretty quick? It is hard to find a decent multi-player these days.