Pure madness Anybody in for a little challenge?

TheEAR

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is a first class subwoofer!

Now I am salivating. One TC Sounds beastie in one corner and a JL Audio Gotham in the other! There will be some major output right there. two dual driver monsters with helluva capable super woofers.

Two killer corner subs.

I like,the cabinet looks good,I like the black gloss and wood trim.

my god that is a HUGE enclosure. I love audio companies that don't just follow the typical "lets compromise performance, by cutting on box size so we can maximise profit" line of thought. If there was no audio companies like TC people like me would have no aims to shoot for.

That things must be capable of some real bass. Jay do you know approximately what it would be capable of? you seen to be very well in touch with your inner TC [;)]

when i modeled a close idea I had with the dual 18 inch 5400 lms in a 16 cubic feeter it was flat from 16-120 hertz around 125 db anechoic so it was like 135 in room. Also tcsounds claims 12 hertz extension which I do not doubt. This is a real subwoofer (as the name goes), below woofer. Some woofers go down to 32 hertz well. I doubt this will be a punch beast like Klipsch tends to make. Klipsch believes in the above 25 hertz subwoofer as its more musical. Expect this one to be a "Beast" that digs down low and linear.

A real sub,no doubt. Just one Gotham using dual modded W7 13" woofers and being sealed is capable of over 120dB @ 20hz in room and no corner loading(my dual f113's peg the dB meter at 122dB @ 20Hz,in the small room...at listening position!!).World class subsonic performance.At 31.5Hz I did not even try...my ears would pop.

This TC Sounds monster should best 126dB @ 16Hz with relative ease(in room),and no corner loading. This is spectacular performance no matter how you look at it.

btw there are two of them........ its stereo subwoofers not mono

So there will be two....for how much? I am now in awe and shock mode. This is devastating output then,forget the new Ultra,Gotham(buying those two also in any case)...holy smokes. FOUR of the most potent woofers,coupled with eight ultra long throw PR's...sick. Yeah yeah I must know more. Price price (in know over 10K). TC Sounds will get a check from me,that is sure. Ohhh yeah me want me want.

yeah its somewhere in there

The full system equal consists of one powered and one slave double
18LHT-5400s - with a total active volume displacement of 32 liters and
total resonator displacement of 76 liters

I heard it will be a lot but not outrageous and be priced reasonable for what it is.... My guess around 10k?

To "The Ear":

Do you have ears left or have they vibrated off by now?

Are you a professional reviewer or is this whole thing only about "bragging rights"?

Of course you would have a db meter to measure it all.....of course.

There is such a concept as "toooo much of a good thing".........ever heard of it?

"If a woman can have a baby in nine months then can nine women have a baby in one month"? ........ I don't think so.

You know.......there are sounds in this world above 100Hz. Try it out, you might like it.

.......BTW, what do you do when the phone rings?

Actually you may be able to help me out. I am interested in either upgrading or supplementing my existing Velodyne 12" 130 w. sub. I am most interested in the Hsu VTF-3HO or the JL Audio Fathom f112. Since you have the Hsu and a sub from JL Audio can you offer me an opinion on which brand might be the better choice for me? Comment on the specific models I listed if you can. My listening habits are old r&r (stones, ac/dc, Bo Diddley, beatles, etc.) My listening room is 22 X 24.

Thanks.

First,second and then an answer to your question about JL/HSU.

First why all these subs, well I have a subwoofer fetish.Yes I know I am sick,insanity has taken over my reson(what was left of it long ago). I use 2-4 at a time meybe...once a week. Embarrasing yes,the rest just piled in near optimal spots.

Second,I know above 80hz exists,I own eleven pairs of speakers(most from Dynaudio,some Totem,some Klipsch,some JAS and Monitor Audio...uh yes not countiong PC speakers). I have to speak in all truth a impulsive purchase disease.Sometimes I go overboard and buy a Krell,Tenor or a huge amp and these are more severe wallet drainers.

Now a 22*24 and I can guess 9ft tall room,its a BIG room.And here you would be great with dual HSU VTF3-HO Turbo subs. Do not skimp,one will cut the butter if you are not too demaning,two will do the trick even if you like to push the volume for a godo bit of fun.You could always start with one. What do you have to lose? Its a winner,for the price...a near steal,performance considered.

The JL Audio f113 is in another price and quality class. If you have a true high end system in a big room and listen alot to music.The JL winns this contest with zero trouble,the sound quality goes fron very very good(HSU) to outstanding or near as good as it gets at any price(JL f113).It is a fact,and I challenge anybody to prove me wrong,anybody. On AVS we have Craigsub,a guy who tested and benched many subs,including the best SVS,HSU has to offer,even the big Velodyne.Guess what? Guess

The JL Audio f113 tops his list,and those who heard the best will confirm my saying.In my view the HSU delivers 90% of the soudn quality of the f113,making it an amazing value. But the last 10% is where you go from darn impressive to total sub bass extacy. Your money,your ears your decision.

Both are GREAT subs.The HSU a better deal,the JL the best SQ under 5K.Both have tremendous output.