Pure madness Anybody in for a little challenge?

TheEAR

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have invested more in my gear many invest in thier homes,I would NEVER EVER use this gear to do any DJ work,a grandiose waste of quality.And you can get better gear for the application buying PRO sound reinforcement speakers,amps and consoles.

My ultimate purchase may come in 3-4 years. A gradiose pair of ....Dynaudio Evidence Master or the Wilson Alexandia X2's,these are two of the finest speakers I have ever heard ,I will own one of the two. We are talking 80-120K for a pair of speakers. Powered by none other than Pass Labs X1000 monoblocks,transparent to the extreme and power so vast you will not even strain these when powering ineficient speakers to ear bleed levels. And both the top of the line Dynes and Wilson speakers are efficient,and can play at concert levels in huge rooms.

you'll see [;)]

Boy howdy! LMAO

I think we scared him into saying the hsu was ok.... Before I remember it was lopsided, no room for other than JL Audio.

Scared me....LOL Sure The only thing that scares me is my volume control,power to move walls like they were made of paper.

I always said HSU made great subs,and recommend them over SVS (considering the price/performance ratio) on AVS. HSU makes great subs,JL makes simply better subs. Nobody even tried to contest this claim,as they would be foolish to attempt this.You are comparing a Infinity G35 to a BMW M5 here.Both great sedans,the M5 is in another class.

Anyone whats a godo debate,you are invited. Bring padding [:P] This is what makes this and most forums interesting,if we all were in agreement,the world would be one quiet place.

you'll see [;)]

Boy howdy! LMAO

I think we scared him into saying the hsu was ok.... Before I remember it was lopsided, no room for other than JL Audio.

Scared me....LOL Sure The only thing that scares me is my volume control,power to move walls like they were made of paper.

I always said HSU made great subs,and recommend them over SVS (considering the price/performance ratio) on AVS. HSU makes great subs,JL makes simply better subs. Nobody even tried to contest this claim,as they would be foolish to attempt this.You are comparing a Infinity G35 to a BMW M5 here.Both great sedans,the M5 is in another class.

Anyone whats a godo debate,you are invited. Bring padding [:P] This is what makes this and most forums interesting,if we all were in agreement,the world would be one quiet place.

BTW its spelt Infiniti with an I at the end.... I own one that is why I brought it up

also the BMW M5 is about 4 price brackets higher than a g35

hmmm g35 fully loaded 40k, hmm fully loaded bmw m5 = 90,0000 to 100,000

BAH, they both suck, nothing like AMERICAN power (and sound in the case
of JL. woot WOOT!!) but Ear, you are Canadan, so what ever...you can't
deny there are good things that come from America...

Also, Infinity
used to make really high end speakers, as you probably know, and were
American too...until Harman bought them. I wish they still made Kappas,
those big 5 way Kappa 9s, so cool

My gross spelling does not negate what I said. Yes it is Infiniti,like my Danley...or Dantley like I used to type. [:P] Imagine I used to say Dyneaudio and it is Dynaudio. Shame on my world class typing.

Now back to subwoofers...

PolkAudio is revamping the subs,they know they got stomped to the ground by Klipsch,Paradigm among others and now will have for 2007 very interesting subs. Good news for the customer,the competition is very agressive.Only good for the customers,better products ,more choices.

Yes Infinity used to make great speakers,the Prelude upscale with powered integrated modular subs.Very well built,sounded great. Infinity had way back speakers designed by the famed designer who designs Genesis speakers.Ah the old Infinity(speakers) classics. Today what is left,plastic,more plastic and mostly cheapies.

You will buy a Dr HSU! WOW I hope they do not ship him in a sealed box! [8-|]

McIntosh subwoofers are overpriced and only worthy to die hard McIntosh fans. Their amps,sure great,but McIntosh subs...no.

Klipsch,now we have much better subs for the price,with the RSW12 and 15(now discontinued),the THX and RT10d and 12D you have some serious subs.

However for around $1000 the VTF3-HO is THE best deal period.

To the EAR

That's what I thought. It took 57 years for me to get a McIntosh amp. but it was worth the wait. My interest in McIntosh is limited to power and switching/controllers. No Mac speakers period. They are truly an amplifier powerhouse. I understand that they devote 5 engineers to amps for every one they devote to speakers and other misc. products. But boy do I like their amps and their product support. It's really good.

Back to Dr. HSU. You didn't tell me your opinion of Klipsch subs vs. HSU. My guess, HSU still better for performance/value. Right?

Again, thanks for your input. It really is helping me.

I now have a plan that needs input.

For my center channel I will buy two Forte IIs used (I hate used) and set them side by side directly below my soon to be wall mounted TV, it's on a stand now. I will wire them in parallel giving me 4 ohms resistance. When I started this part of my search I originally planned to purchase an RC-64 with a list price of $899.00. So I'm doing good because I already located an eBay person in Harrisburg PA who is selling his 2 Forte IIs for under $400 and I can drive to hear them and bring them home. I will put equipment racks on each side of the two center Forte IIs.

So, when I'm done I will have Forte IIs for front L C & R and my KG-4s for rears.

...................Now about the surrounds for the sides, which is the best match for me? I need to buy these.

A new Dr. HSU turbo for $999.00 will augment my existing 12" Velodyne 130wpc. I will set them side by side as Dr. HSU recommends.

I will either trade in or sell my existing McIntosh MA-6900 200wpc/.005 THD and replace it with a new McIntosh MC-207 http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=14&cat=Power+Amplifiers&prodid=1096&product=MC207 and a new McIntosh MX-119 Audio/Video Control Center. All of which will give me the following:

7.1 sound utilizing 200wpc X 7 channels plus Dr. HSU and his 500wpc for his turbo sub. All powering Klipsch speakers exclusively.

Well, what do you all think? I do need answers/opinions on my surrounds for the sides and what problems I might be inviting by setting two Forte IIs side by side and wiring them in parallel.

Waiting on input.

BTW, the Baltimore Ravens are about to steam roll their way right to the World Championship of football in case you didn't realize it.

To the EAR

That's what I thought. It took 57 years for me to get a McIntosh amp. but it was worth the wait. My interest in McIntosh is limited to power and switching/controllers. No Mac speakers period. They are truly an amplifier powerhouse. I understand that they devote 5 engineers to amps for every one they devote to speakers and other misc. products. But boy do I like their amps and their product support. It's really good.

Back to Dr. HSU. You didn't tell me your opinion of Klipsch subs vs. HSU. My guess, HSU still better for performance/value. Right?

Again, thanks for your input. It really is helping me.

YES HSU offers the most quality subsonics for the dollar. I do not want to say it like it is too directly as it is a Klipsch forum and not the AVS forum(where I will tell it as it is,and sometimes offend).

In the upper price class you have JL that now holds the top spot for performance and quality versus price.

Always get the HO and if possible Turbo too,well worth the little extra investment.

• Moderators

For my center channel I will buy two Forte IIs used (I hate used) and set them side by side directly below my soon to be wall mounted TV, it's on a stand now. I will wire them in parallel giving me 4 ohms resistance. When I started this part of my search I originally planned to purchase an RC-64 with a list price of $899.00. So I'm doing good because I already located an eBay person in Harrisburg PA who is selling his 2 Forte IIs for under $400 and I can drive to hear them and bring them home. I will put equipment racks on each side of the two center Forte IIs.

So, when I'm done I will have Forte IIs for front L C & R and my KG-4s for rears.

...................Now about the surrounds for the sides, which is the best match for me? I need to buy these.

A new Dr. HSU turbo for $999.00 will augment my existing 12" Velodyne 130wpc. I will set them side by side as Dr. HSU recommends.

I will either trade in or sell my existing McIntosh MA-6900 200wpc/.005 THD and replace it with a new McIntosh MC-207 http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=14&cat=Power+Amplifiers&prodid=1096&product=MC207 and a new McIntosh MX-119 Audio/Video Control Center. All of which will give me the following:

7.1 sound utilizing 200wpc X 7 channels plus Dr. HSU and his 500wpc for his turbo sub. All powering Klipsch speakers exclusively.

Well, what do you all think? I do need answers/opinions on my surrounds for the sides and what problems I might be inviting by setting two Forte IIs side by side and wiring them in parallel.

Waiting on input.

BTW, the Baltimore Ravens are about to steam roll their way right to the World Championship of football in case you didn't realize it.

One Forte ll should be good, I don't know about the parallel thing though. Why not either sell off the extra Forte ll, or even better, look for a couple more pair and sell off the Kg-4's. Or one more pair of Forte ll's for rears and use the Kg-4's for side surrounds.

I use 4 Forte ll's for L / C / R and rear Center and original Forte's for L / R rear for 6.1. You will not need 2 of them for a center, you will see / hear !

I can't do 7.1 because of a wood burning heater on one side . What about 6.1 until something is available in 7.1, and you find another pair to match.

Just ideas, but you can see where i'm going........If you have the room why settle for less than a perfect match, If you use the Kg's you will later want to change them to Forte ll's anyway, I would bet.

All IMHO !

Waiting on input.

One Forte ll should be good, I don't know about the parallel thing though. Why not either sell off the extra Forte ll, or even better, look for a couple more pair and sell off the Kg-4's. Or one more pair of Forte ll's for rears and use the Kg-4's for side surrounds.

I use 4 Forte ll's for L / C / R and rear Center and original Forte's for L / R rear for 6.1. You will not need 2 of them for a center, you will see / hear !

I can't do 7.1 because of a wood burning heater on one side . What about 6.1 until something is available in 7.1, and you find another pair to match.

Just ideas, but you can see where i'm going........If you have the room why settle for less than a perfect match, If you use the Kg's you will later want to change them to Forte ll's anyway, I would bet.

All IMHO !

Thankyou. thankyou.

Do you really think the KG-4s will be OK as side surrounds? I believe THX requires bi-pole/di-pole and not directional speakers for the surround channels. However, I listen mostly to stereo music and only occasionally will I be watching movies. When I do, half of them will be music concert performances. BTW, when will there be any 7.1 material available? I haven't found any yet.

I hate "used", but it looks like I will be trying to find used FORTE IIs for center and rear and move the KG-4s to the sides elevated on maybe 20-25" stands slightly tilted upward. I will only use 1 FORTE II for the center and will probably have a FORTE II left over for sale I guess.

**** Anyone on the mid-east coast willing to sell 1,2,3, or 4 Walnut FORTE IIs please contact me. I will have to audition them before I buy. ****

• Moderators

I have no Idea about the 7.1 , from what I have read it will only be a very limited " at first " , and only on the new HD DVD's.

Well with Forte ll's used is the only choice, but all the Heritage are very reliable so if they were not really abused they should be fine.

Roc, when you get all your Forte ll's set up and balanced with a DB meter they are going to blow you away, 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 it makes no difference it will sound great.

" Do you really think the KG-4s will be OK as side surrounds? " .................... I don't know maby, But I have a feeling you will not want to use them, give it a shot you already have them. Just remember in 7.1 the rear has the same signal as each other and the sides have their own tracks, if I remembered that correctly ?

I have my center and the three rears sideways, and raised. The center is on top of an entertainment center I built around a 65" TV, so its about 6' 6" off the floor tilted down slightly. The 3 rear's are about 7' off the ground tilted to the center of the room using heavy metal brackets, like 2 arms holding the speaker sideways. The room is 18' deep and 24' wide, and the horns don't have a problem filling the room while laying down.

Even when I get the very rare chance to really crank it up it never sounds strained or like it's having any problem, and the " one " center Forte ll does great. I don't have the best hearing from 35 years of sometimes loud jobs but the voices on movies are great, in the past with other speaker setups I always had a problem sometimes making out what was being said. These 6 Fortes are the best HT and Concert DVD combination I have ever Had, or heard anywhere. Of course I have plans to hear an all La Scalas and an all Klipschorn HT this year so I would bet that I will hear much better, no doubt .

You will love it ! { SORRY TO HYJACK THIS THREAD }

Back to the drooling board....

Each time I see trhe TC Sounds TheBeast ...strange things happen. [:$] I have purchased an industrial dolley to move large speakers and subs,in the 200-500lbs range. It will help move my other light subs 85-140lbs I have now.

This year,its GOTHAM and TheBEAST year.