Waaaaayyyyyy OT - Mattresses

Ray Garrison

Couldn't be farther off topic, but maybe you folks can help.

My wife has fibromyaglia, and has been having a difficult time sleeping. Back and leg pain keeps her up most nights, even though they've got her on Duragesic patches, Percocet, Lyrica, Cybalta and a bunch of othe stuff.

I've tried several different brands of mattresses (Sealy, Serta, various OEM brands [bob's Discount Furniture]) and most recently one of the tempur-pedic foam toppers (4 inch), and it hasn't seemed to make much difference. I recently started looking into Dux beds, and they've gotten a lot of positive press, but they're, like, $6K. Ouch.

Anyone have any experience with these, or any other ideas?

• Moderators

This may sound like a crazy question but have you tried a water bed ? The reason I asked is we had one for 20 years and it is much different than every other bed out there. It may not work but it is the only thing that is a drastic change from any other mattress .

Just a thought, hope she feels better whatever route y'all go.

Some close friends use the Dux bed and I've checked them out at one of their stores (Scottsdale). I cannot speak to their benefit for your wife, but my opinion is they are WAY overpriced. Nice construction, many small springs and good natural materials but reclining on one did not impress me. Seemed like any other high quality spring style mattress.

Ray

I got this email a long time ago from none other than HORNED & he was always right about sound soI got one & i love it's so it's as good as his taste in speakers so here is his letter to me.....

FROM HORNED A VERY DEAR FRIEND......

Steve, it is always good to hear from you... whether awash with pain or pleasure.

I, too, know what it is like to wake up in ER... and find "life" is not all that I had planned. What happened in my life is all true and you may share it with whomever you deem appropriate. I am somewhat of a recluse... and have shared far more on the Klipsch Forum than I am likely to in the general scheme of things. My concerns for privacy melt when there is a chance that my experience can be helpful for others.

For many years after the acupuncture blitz of Dr. Dung, I would have "tune-ups" usually by the good doctor or someone who trained under him. Of course, in my travels that wasn't always possible... so I have been treated by many other acupuncturists... but none have been close to as effective in pain reduction and cost of services as the good doctor himself. I think that one of the keys to his success with me is his method of assessing pain and then applying the acupuncture technique in the appropriate places. It has been many years now since I have had any acupuncture.

Part of the reason is that I am not abusing my body by participating in active sports, part of the reason is that my ability to create my own endorphins has improved, and part of the reason is because I have found a bed that allows me to get better rest with a damaged spine.

I have spent many thousands of dollars over the last twenty years or so trying to find a bed that would allow me to get more than a few hours of rest before the pain awakens me. For the past several years I have enjoyed a Comfortaire airbed product called "GeoVista"... it combines the even weight distribution of a high quality air mattress (including an air pump to tweak the firmness) with a foam pressure pad that is primarily used in hospitals. The edge of the mattress is made of blocks of solid foam so that you have support while sitting on the side of the bed. The whole thing is shipped in two rather small, lightweight, boxes and is easy to assemble. Just unzip the mattress cover, insert the side foam blocks, lay the air bladder on the bottom, then lay the therapeutic foam and zip up the mattress cover. Plug in the pump to a wall socket (better check the voltage parameters) and pump it up until it is right for you. It comes in all sizes... with the two person size allowing two individual firmness controls.

IMHO, the therapeutic foam version is superior to the Visco/memory foam version... but that's your call for your situation. Needless to say that I am in now way related to this company except by gaining better quality rest every night since it arrived. I have tried many other airbeds but none has performed as well as this one.

Be well... as you can. ED

PS: The factory web site is at http://www.comfortaire.com/framemain.htm and there are many Internet sites that sell the product. It is not cheap... but it is worth it!

GeoMatt® foam and adjustable air support for the ultimate in medically proven pressure relief. This mattress also features brand new Tencel® fabric and new IFC 2001 Instant Firmness Control.

New imported Tencel fabric, a recyclable fiber made from wood (30% stronger than cotton); resistant to organisms (fiber quilting)

1.6 density foam perimeter support with fabric covers and Velcro fasteners

24 gauge latex/cotton air cores; 6" thick

Comfort Pad: the 3" GeoMatt therapeutic mattress pad reduces pressure so well that it is the #1 choice in hospitals for patient comfort and care

New IFC 2001 Instant Firmness Contro

We bought a Pillow Top mattress from Original Mattress Factory and then I bought a pillow from Select Comfort. The mattress if very dead, meaning it doesn't shake around at all and when you sit on it there is mostly no rebound effect. Going from 7 years on a water bed to this thing was a real treat. Just tell the sales people what the problem is and they can fix you up.

The pillow I bought from Select Comfort is a 5" foam Grid Zone Classic that was on sale for $7X.xx. I tell ya, with this thing you not only no longer need 2 pillows because it dosen't let your head settle deeper into it but it is also a lethal pillow-fight weapon. It weighs in at just over 4 1/2 lbs without the pillow case!!

Three years ago my wife was quite seriously injured in an auto accident which has left her in with permanent problems & pain, and significant discomfort when trying to lat down to sleep. After the surgery that cut nerves in her spine in the neck area to stop the head pain, the jaw surgery for that "arena" of pain, we're now finishing up with the other surgical stuff for the lower back and left leg pain problems. We removed the box springs and placed the matress (a max firm "Sleep Eze") on a piece of 3/4" plywood sheet on a frame I built. She's still not comfortable alot of the time, but it's getting better. Sometimes she's comfortable on her side, on a blanket on the floor, with a pillow between her legs. She tells me that the trick is to make sure that her head is "even" with her spine. Hope that's of some assistance.

Ray,

Sorry to hear about your Wifes sleeping problems, for when you can't sleep every area of your life is affected in a negative way.

I have had sleeping problems all my life and most recently have been diagnosed with a herniated disc with sciatica so sleeping these days is a crapshoot at best.

I was in need of a new mattress so I began the search for the best mattress for my body.

At first I thought memory foam was the answer but after spending some time on a relatives Tempur-pedic as well as testing them out in the mattress showrooms I knew this wasn't the answer and,from reading across the net,alot of people are on the same page.

That's when I was introduced to Latex mattresses...all natural and supportive without the "push-back" of a coil-sprung mattress or the "quicksand-likeness" of memory foam.

Just recently I purchased a Latex mattress "kit" from www.sleepez.com and am on my second nite with it.The benefit of the kits are that you can unzip the mattress and change firmness at will so in essence the mattress it built to your specifications...not some factories.You can also design each side so you have a his & hers custom mattress as well as pick your topper-need it be another sheet of softer later or memory foam if desired.

I will keep you informed how I make out with mine (fingers crossed).

If you want some good reading check out this webpage

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-mattress

Hope this helps,

Jeff

I have some back problems and I found that either an airbed like one in camping (I guess you can use a aerobed) works nice or to be honest, a hard floor. I know there are bed out there cause I saw one of my parents friends have bed that was stone, literally you would sleep on a granite like bed that was heated.

Just my $.02

I have 2 rods a few plates and enough screws and pins in my lower back

and left leg, that if I removed them I could start a hardware store.

They only thing that really works for me is switching off from the hard

floor flat on my back to sleeping on a couch that I beefed up with 5/8

plywood. 90% of the time I sleep on the modded couch, which works well

as the dog has gotten very used to my half of the bed and my wife says

he smells better than I do too... [:$]

I have tried many many different things to sleep on and I have yet to

find one sure fire 100% cure. I think just having a number of things

that work if another doesn't is your best bet. Switch off from one to another until you find something comfortable.

Pain killers can cause problem sleeping too. I take an all natural called Move Easy. You can get it at WalMart. It takes about 7 days before it starts helping, but if you stick with it, it seems to work.

Good luck, I hope you find a few things that can help for her. Sleep is a hard thing to live without.