How To Fry A Turkey

coda

• Moderators

They are really good, but can be very dangerous, and the extra cost of 4 or 5 gallons of oil added to the cost of a turkey.

They say you can reuse the oil but I don't know if that is a good idea, you would think something off the turkey, oils, fat, would remain in the oil and go bad ?

Now Smoked turkey is the best IMHO, love that smoke flavor.

Safer and cheaper, too. This from a confirmed baked turky hater.

BBQ Turkey:

Split bird in half. Make deep cuts in the thighs and breasts. In butter saute diced onions, garlic, bell pepper, fresh parsley and andouille sausage.Stuff the saute mix into the "cuts" and some under the skin. Triple wrap each half with three layers of heavy duty foil. Place on grill, bone side down, for two hours.

Meanwhile, take any leftover saute mix and combine with a small bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Mix in a small can of frozen limeade concentrate (preferably thawed).

After two hours, turn the halves over, open the tops and pour in the BBQ sauce mix. Leave on grill, meat side down, another hour.

Voila! BBQ turkey. 'Tis amazingly good.

Dang you guys are making me hungry, A lot of people around here deep fry turkeys all the time, you can buy special turkey fryers too cook the bird in. A lot of people around here are turkey hunters and wild turkey is a lot dryer meat when baked that of a store bought turkey, so they deep fry it and the meat stays more moist. I have eaten a lot of baked wild turkey and believe me pass the bowl of gravey it needs it. Only ate the fried turkey a couple of times but man it was done right and it was real good.

My vote's for Dtel; Cracker Florida style.. Get a 55 gallon drum, cut off one end, make a flap hinge, punch about 4-5 small holes to breathe on both ends, small hole on top on far end, maybe about 1"; put in a piece of expanded metal grill 'bout in the middle, stoke her up with Live Oak deadfall, fire her up, and when the coals are grey, put in your bird, dressed as you see fit, but with some Everglades seasoning, a pan of well water with a grapefruit or orange slices, and walk away. 'Bout every hour, throw in another deadfall stick, check the water in the pan, and sit back and grab another cold one and watch the game, etc.. After about 3-4 hours (small bird), or more as required, pull it out and it will be smoked, nice red/pink first layer, very moist, and good 'eatin'.