What is it about SET amps?

George Roland

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found, on Audiogon, a pair of nice looking Welborne 300Bs that're on the way to my house right now. Should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

I hope these would be considered good used ones! The seller assured me they were quiet, a step in the right direction for sure.

Can't wait to hear them!

George Roland

Well, you know Dee, now that we have 7 customers who will have pCATS soon, there will probably be good odds of someone being able to bring them, even if I can't come myself. By then, who knows, we might even have more customers than 7. Also, I am building a couple extra pair, and since I now know how to ship them, I might be able to have a pair go out for serious auditions.

md

Mark,

Yeh, any of those scenarios for getting pCATS to Indy sound good. I'm delighted to hear these folks have pCATS in the pipeline.

If it turns out that you ship a pair for the Indy crowd to hear and need a 'ship to' person, if not Trey, I'd be glad to take them under my wing.

I found, on Audiogon, a pair of nice looking Welborne 300Bs that're on the way to my house right now. Should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

I hope these would be considered good used ones! The seller assured me they were quiet, a step in the right direction for sure.

Can't wait to hear them!

George Roland

YOu have bought a nice pair of amps! - I'm guessing that you'll find that they have that 'something 'special' sound and you'll be hooked for life!

I'll also be interested in your opinions. DRD amps are quiet!

Congratulations, George!

If these are the DRD 300Bs (Alan Kimmel and Ron Welborne had designed an earlier 300B called the Laurel), they are supposed to be wonderful amps. I'm familiar with both the 2A3 and 45 versions, and the 300B, initially designed by Jack Eliano, was the first of the DRD.

They should be a really nice match with Klipschorns and Bob's 'A' networks.

Erik

Way to go, George. As Erik and others have said, Welborne amps are superb examples of what SET topology is all about, and you'll be experiencing first hand what a good 300B design should sound like...I'm envious![A]

Due to a tight budget I had to settle on a more economical approach and bought a BEZ 300B 8-watt SET stereo amp on eBay that handles my favorite pipe organ music through 91dB sensitive Triangle floorstanders with aplomb! Soon I'll have a pair of Klipsch RB-75s that are rated at 97dB efficiency that I'm sure will really rock the house...well, my little 12 x 13.5 music room anyway.

PS - Seems strange to have a normal SET conversation on this forum without Paul Parrot throwing in his two cents worth...I miss him.[:$]

post-11084-13819314881794_thumb.jpg

First thread about SET that I actually understood. Thanks for explaining it in simple English. Is the SET tube those big bubbled-out looking ones or how do they differ from the other tube types ? (just so I can get a picture of them in my head)

Michael

Single-ended triode tubes are usually shoulder-shaped output tubes, but not always (the 845 triode is a long slender output tube with a round top instead of flat top), just like a 6L6 pentode output tube can also be shoulder-shaped instead of the usual straight bottles. My particular 300Bs shown above are globed-shaped, but the majority of 300Bs are traditionally shoulder-shaped. Don't ask me why tubes are shaped the way they are...frankly, I think some are shaped the way they are for aesthetics purposes only, but I could be wrong.

PS - Seems strange to have a normal SET conversation on this forum without Paul Parrot throwing in his two cents worth...I miss him.[:$]

LOL!

Rumour has it, from a VERY good source, that when the Parrot learnt of another SET thread, he said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Ha Ha Ha....!

Actually, I'm glad he's gone! - But you did hit the nail on the head, Parrot is usually the reason that these threads turned to Vitrol and drove a lot of good people away. Parrot should have been banned about 3 years ago. Mobile Homeless would probably still be posting and he had more to say than Parrot would in 3 Lifetimes.

Mobile Homeless would probably still be posting and he had more to say than Parrot would in 3 Lifetimes.

But towards the end all of Kelly's posts were saying the same thing over and over again for pages and pages. Hey, if I have to read something by someone for the hundredth time -- I want it done in as few words as possible. I'd like to thank Parrot for that.

Actually, I'm glad he's gone! - But you did hit the nail on the head, Parrot is usually the reason that these threads turned to Vitrol and drove a lot of good people away. Parrot should have been banned about 3 years ago. Mobile Homeless would probably still be posting and he had more to say than Parrot would in 3 Lifetimes.

Perchance ..You should spend more time at AA, or L.H.

rather than waste your time here...EH ...??

But you did hit the nail on the head, Parrot is usually the reason that these threads turned to Vitrol and drove a lot of good people away. Parrot should have been banned about 3 years ago. Mobile Homeless would probably still be posting and he had more to say than Parrot would in 3 Lifetimes.

Actually, Kelly finally got a life and stoped wasting time on audio forums.

I'm halfway there...

But towards the end all of Kelly's posts were saying the same thing over and over again for pages and pages. Hey, if I have to read something by someone for the hundredth time -- I want it done in as few words as possible. I'd like to thank Parrot for that.

Warning, the Surgeon General believes that rancour will gives you ulcer.

Naaa it just isn't worth it...........