Heresy vs. Klipschorn

TheEvan

I know, I know no comparison, at least at first blush. I've had Khorns for nearly 25 years, so I'm quite familiar with their sound. I ebayed a pair of WO Heresys as a Christmas present for #1 son. A few observations:

Nice balance. These speakers sound good. In some ways the top end sounds smoother or less in your face than the Khorns.

Where's the bass? However, the upper & mid bass are satisfying enough.

Dang, the cabinets are nice with a fine grade of veneer.

On paper, sensitivity of 99 vs. 104db doesn't seem that great a difference. I mean, they're both way efficient, right? But in practice, it's a big difference...equating to a big 1/3 of the knob travel on my amp to get reasonably equivalent volume.

Yeah, by comparison to anything, Khorns sound huge. Or in my case, by comparison anything else sounds so small...

As far as I know unless those Heresies were the latest model 3's then the sensitivity was not 99 dB but 96.

That means you are comparing 96 with 104 - and that is a big jump.

Other than that suffice to say - placed carefully in the room - and supported by a well chosen sub - Heresy's do very well indeed.

I bought my son a pair of RB35s and i had to make sure they worked right..lol....well they hold thier own against K-Horns for thier size anyway.Even my son thought i had the Ks on when he walked in i had them powered by HK 430 so that probably helped alot to.Rick

There is no way you can compare The Heresy with the LaScala, or the Khorn, or the Jubilee..........I will give you the fact those 3 are a better speakers, but I'll tell you what, the Heresy can hold their own............close your eyes when you listen to Heresy's, they have the sound and feel of a speaker twice their size............Dollar for dollar they are a fine speaker...lack alittle in the bottom end, nothing that a sub can't take care of, to be honest with you, I think with a right tube set-up you wouldn't need a sub..........I don't feel SET would be a good match, but maybe a push-pull type set-up would work, or maybe a Scott intergrated amp might make them sound nice.....I don't really know, I haven't ever heard Hersey's run by tubes.....I run mine with SS Sony and they sound good, I have a new Yamaha SS sitting here with more power than the Sony, can't wait to hook 'em up...........Christmas present, I have to wait........damn it.....I am happy with my Heresy's, not sorry I bought them...........would buy them again...Great speaker for the Price.....don't let size fool you...........Klipsch Quality built in.............How can you go wrong buying Klipsch???????????

play with the placement a bit more too...you may get more bass on the floor (if you can place them directly there)...I can hear the resemblence...[;)]...properly placed, I prefer my Quartets just a bit mostly due to the bass boost but when I just used Heresys for 2 channel, I had no complaints with the them...I have K'Horns to compare too...enjoy the Heresy...the mids and upper really make it for me...ruined me for Reference too.

Bill

Sometimes older Heresy cabinets tend to dry out over time and "leak" which can affect the lower bass response. If they are H-I's, you might want to consider sealing the back panel with some 1/2" x 1/8" thick, closed cell foam weather stripping. Also a good time to check and make sure all of the driver screws are tight.

On H-II's, you can pull the woofer and make sure the foam rubber insert (24" x 12" x 3/4", usually gray) is inside the cabinet, and you can also go ahead and use new weather stripping for all of the driver/horn gaskets and the speaker/crossover terminal block on the back. That gasket material dries out eventually and you never know if the prior owner(s) took them apart to "look inside" and did not replace the gaskets.

Generally good cheap maintenance for the old I's & II's.

Hope that helps you. Good luck!

The screw holes for the back panel tend to wear out and "strip" themselves too. A good trick I picked up was to put a toothpick in the hole before screwing things back in (as it creates the necessary pressure and material for the teeth to grab again).

• Moderators

I know, I know no comparison, at least at first blush. I've had Khorns for nearly 25 years, so I'm quite familiar with their sound. I ebayed a pair of WO Heresys as a Christmas present for #1 son. A few observations:

Nice balance. These speakers sound good. In some ways the top end sounds smoother or less in your face than the Khorns.

Where's the bass? However, the upper & mid bass are satisfying enough.

Dang, the cabinets are nice with a fine grade of veneer.

On paper, sensitivity of 99 vs. 104db doesn't seem that great a difference. I mean, they're both way efficient, right? But in practice, it's a big difference...equating to a big 1/3 of the knob travel on my amp to get reasonably equivalent volume.

Yeah, by comparison to anything, Khorns sound huge. Or in my case, by comparison anything else sounds so small...

Dtel and I were impressed with every pair of Heresys we heard while in Hope. IMO, they offer the biggest bang for the buck.