Choosing an amp on the basis of tone.....

maxg

now .....

i reference ..Crown . frequently .....

because of familiarity, never had a Krell .(friend does, ditto Pass Labs)

and don't forget, Crown, before "Harmonization" (thanks, MAS..[:)] )

was a small family owned concern, like Klipsch

they could spend thier R & D money, as they saw fit, like on the BCA amplifier series, of which the K , and S.R. are part

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the upshot of this thread plus the previous one is:

Craig is not talking to Mark.

Mark is not talking to Craig,

Rigma is not talking to Craig,

Gilbert is not talking to Rigma.

Craig is therefore talking to Gilbert but presumably not Rigma.

Dean is not talking to Mark but he is talking to Craig.

Mark shall not be talking to Dean except in the language of diplomacy.

Paul is still talking to everyone (well possibly except Edmund - but that wasnt from this thread).

Jeff's deaf but he is talking to everyone.

Jackson's bored.

All fairly par for the course for an amp debate.

I am going to do something radical now - and listen to some music on vinyl and on my 500 wpc digital amp so ya boo sucks to the lot of you.

Could somebody keep notes as to the rest of the fights that break out and email my an uptodate list for the morning. Ta muchly.

Max,

#1 Is not correct I'll talk to Mark anytime. I don't hold grudges against Friends. He may consider me a bad Friend, poor Friend, delusional Friend, no friend at all or not really be upset at all I have no idea. I've re-read his initial comments a number of times and walk away with the same interpretation I did originally. No big deal.

I still feel Mark is not acting like himself lately and I have decided to just let the entire thing rest until I notice things change in that respect. I haven't seen that be the case yet.

Were things said that shouldn't of been said.........absolutely. I just happen to think what Mark said in the very first paragraph that set me off happens to be one of them. Oh well can't change it now. IMHO both parties are to blame for this.........where I come from it takes two to tango.

I stated that I was done responding to Mark on this subject and I am. I've responded to his posting in other threads since I left this thread in a civil manor.

I think everyone needs to let it rest all that can be said has been said. Good points were made from all parties on the subject and I appreciate the input. But Letting it die is my wish.

So the upshot of this thread plus the previous one is:

Craig is not talking to Mark.

Mark is not talking to Craig,

Rigma is not talking to Craig,

Gilbert is not talking to Rigma.

Craig is therefore talking to Gilbert but presumably not Rigma.

Dean is not talking to Mark but he is talking to Craig.

Mark shall not be talking to Dean except in the language of diplomacy.

Paul is still talking to everyone (well possibly except Edmund - but that wasnt from this thread).

Jeff's deaf but he is talking to everyone.

Jackson's bored.

All fairly par for the course for an amp debate.

I am going to do something radical now - and listen to some music on vinyl and on my 500 wpc digital amp so ya boo sucks to the lot of you.

Could somebody keep notes as to the rest of the fights that break out and email my an uptodate list for the morning. Ta muchly.

Well Poopoo to you to, darn Greeks ;)

Actually, I like both Mark and Craig very much. Don't really know Rigma, but I'm sure he's okay too, it's just that when a see the perverbial pot calling the kettle black, I feel the need to sound off. We all have our bad points. Personally, I'm a little bull headed myself, but I generally try to avoid making assinine blanket statements and sticking my foot in my mouth. I'm not always succesful with the later, but I do try.

Right now I'm in the office (where I've been since 9am this Sunday morning) taking a break, but when I leave in a couple of hours, and go have some Octopus (in your honor) at my favorite Sushi resturant "Fuji".

Ciao'

I am going to do something radical now - and listen to some music on vinyl and on my 500 wpc digital amp so ya boo sucks to the lot of you. I think was supposed to be a joke.

Right now I'm in the office (where I've been since 9am this Sunday morning) taking a break, but when I leave in a couple of hours, and go have some Octopus (in your honor) at my favorite Sushi resturant "Fuji". Give me a break. There's no Sushi in Broken Arrow!! LMAO

Ciao'

Wife and daughter arrived home earlier than expected - so the listening session got caught short - and now SWMBO is watchng a girlie flick so I am back on here.

Summary of the soap opera was entirely tongue firmly planted in cheek - no offense to anyone intended (or designed to P off everyone - take your pick).

OK - how did I end up with the amp - I have never really explained it all fully - but before anyone panics this is the potted version:

The amp and pre-amp are actually not mine. They are Tony's (the pre is a Klimo all tube affair - with a built in phono which I am not using - not impressed with it at all).

He bought them having got himself a pair of B&W 802's that he was having difficulty driving. When he finally found the Yamaha he was on cloud nine and claiming it was the best amp in the world - I think he still does.

Anyway at some point he brought it round to my house and we tried it on the Decware ZT PRE that I have and it was dreadful - I mean really really bad. He was so gutted and amazed it was almost funny. However - I realized that it really cant be as bad as that - there must be an impedance mismatch with the pre.

Some time later I found myself reviewing a pre (Hawk Audio) for ACA. During that process Tony again brought round the Yamaha for me to evaluate in conjunction with this new pre. The results were stunning. Quite the best I had ever heard my system play. So good that Tony sat through the entire Traviata WITHOUT speaking. First time I ever got him to listen to an opera - and the longest period of time in history that he has sat and not spoken.

It was a fairly earth shattering event for both of us. We simply did not know that the other components in the chain were capable of such sound.

The only complaint about the whole system was that "it couldn't dance". somewhere along the line we had lost the system's speed. Play classical and you simply die - it was that good. Play something with beat and you die of boredom.

Tony reckoned that his pre - the Klimo would give the best of all worlds - but we left it there as it was installed in his system and he did not want to be left without music.

Fast forward another 6 months and Tony has sold his B&W's (that he said he never would) and is stuck with amp and pre-amp and nothing to play. As he is now working all the hours he cant be bothered hunting for new speakers so he gives me the amp and the pre to play with.

Simply put - about as stunning as the Hawk audio pre - but it can still dance.

Only problem is that I need extreme care with the volume control. It is way too sensitive and my speakers are only rated to 100 wpc. I can get to about 9 pm on the dial before I am blasted from the room (although it does start at 6 precisely so it is not quite as bad as it appears).

I did have a ground loop hum - but I have now solved that one - and I now have a static problem on the TT - source unknown but I suspect the weather.

The net result of all of this is that I have a system that plays better than ever before with fairly linear response where I want it and the character I like where I want that. In other words:

Cartidge and phono - flat 20 Hz to 20 KHz, Pre-amp full of flavour, amp pretty neutral near as I can tell, speakers horned. Bass effortless, mids full, highs a little extended but I dont mind that. That live sound thing again.

All together with enough power to part your hair with a blast from a trombone.

and that is all I have to say about that....

Edit: I left out NO in the original post

Hey Gilbert & Craig, I was just making a point, there are NO ill feelings on
my part for sure. I know both Mark & Craig and have a great respect for each and
just did no want to see them throw away their relationship over something so
silly. My intention was to elicit a response from Craig, who responded exactly
as I expected,(Craig you are so predictable) which I think was good for both
Mark & Craig. How would someone have felt if they just ordered from Mark
based on Craig's recommendation then thought that recommendation was not sincere
but just payback for previous good deeds. Hey I have been in sales 20 years what
can I say. It's time for a group hug again!

rigma

I propose (redux) . .

Waveform = Tone Purity

On a side note, the effects of sonic stress on hearing acuity is fairly well documented. Indeed, hearing aids are designed to address the problem of reduced hearing acuity by making sounds louder. On the other hand, loud sounds are meant to impress people and create a strong

emotional experience, so it has its place in audio and theatre systems. However, I believe waveform = tone purity transcends a need for power requirements, other than for it to be simply audible.

Not sure anyone addressed the original issue, what happens to the waveform in push pull?

I propose (redux) . .

Waveform = Tone Purity

On a side note, the effects of sonic stress on hearing acuity is fairly well documented. Indeed, hearing aids are designed to address the problem of reduced hearing acuity by making sounds louder. On the other hand, loud sounds are meant to impress people and create a strong

emotional experience, so it has its place in audio and theatre systems. However, I believe waveform = tone purity transcends a need for power requirements, other than for it to be simply audible.

Not sure anyone addressed the original issue, what happens to the waveform in push pull?

I'd be hard pressed to imagine a post that gets more wrong in such few lines. Are you enjoying the fishing?

Edit: I left out NO in the original post

Hey Gilbert & Craig, I was just making a point, there are NO ill feelings on

my part for sure. I know both Mark & Craig and have a great respect for each and

just did no want to see them throw away their relationship over something so

silly. My intention was to elicit a response from Craig, who responded exactly

as I expected,(Craig you are so predictable) which I think was good for both

Mark & Craig. How would someone have felt if they just ordered from Mark

based on Craig's recommendation then thought that recommendation was not sincere

but just payback for previous good deeds. Hey I have been in sales 20 years what

can I say. It's time for a group hug again!

rigma