Choosing an amp on the basis of tone.....

maxg

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Mark cleverly spotted - I said tone and I meant Timbre - sorry all - my bad - I was trying to steer the thread away from a minor skirmish that was starting to look like the approach road to Bagdhad and not concentrating sufficiently.

Back to the debate (the original one if you please).

2. You'll see the megawatt amp has lots and lots of output devices - -maybe 12 or 24 or even more. The production tolerances on those devices are wild - taming all those animals will require a lot of circuitry --- and almost always a lot of feedback. Again, tone has been traded for power.

MDeneen

I can't belive YOU made that comment.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what ...???

Nobody .....Matches output devices ...??

C'mon ....

negative feedback Does serve usefull purposes in certain designs

Well boys, I'd been following this thread and initially loved it. Thank you Maxy.... Then somewhere along page 3 1/2 and 4 it started to get stained. Why, because sound quality (and I mean it in the most generalized scense) is subjective. I believe everyone here knows that fact.

It's okay with me if the low powered amp kids say the music that flows from their system is second to none, and it's okay with me if the high powered amp kid's say the contrary. It's all good, IT IS ALL GOOD, and in the end, it's all personal opinion, and nothing more. I am glad I don't understand alott of the magic that goes into designing & making great sounding audio equipment, as there are obviously many different ways to skin that cat. My business is much, much easier; there are only a limited number of ways to crunch the numbers and analyze any particular building or structure.

I listen to music quite often, and I am learning what equipment (amps, pre's, tubes, etc, etc) sounds' good and what equipment sounds less than good to me. It is a work in progress, and it is a journey of love that I am enjoying and will continue to enjoy. I do not look at the cost envolved or money that I have spent or wasted, because like I said, it's journey of love.

Sound quality, at the level of understanding that most members discuss here is a subject that will never make me wrinkled or gray (or is it grey), because like I said, it's subjective, remember. Politics and the twisted die-hard views of some is another story, and I'm glad the administrators have cracked down on that matter.

Now, if you don't mind, I will turn up my music and tune you bickering boys out.

yep, the most important component in your system is YOU.

tone accuracy matters, though my primary basis for the choice of amps was musicality . .

so I ended up with a Wright 3.5, Eico HF-81, and a Bryston 4B-ST

what do I play most often? JMHO, alnico drivers + 2A3 = joy

the loudness issue is okay, as long as it is natural, in a relative sense. I get a kick hearing a cranked up system recreate a live (amplified) music event. but in a subjectively musical sense, honestly it can be unnatural.

anyway, try your hand at testing your musical skills to find out a little more about your perceptions of sounds. I came out with a 86.1.

Mark, you had said,

"..."Klipschers" tend to be at the extreme end of high volume listening. Based on posts I've read over the past 5 years, I'd think a great many will have permanent hearing damage in the near future. I think perhaps you and Paul and various guys here are listening at levels that most of the population would find painful."

then later, in reference to the comment said,

"...I said the levels many people listen at would be painful for a lot of people, and again that's my opinion. Again, that's no reflection on you personally. It's my opinion."

I was also offended by the original comment, and in case you hadn't noticed, you specifically mentioned Paul and Craig -- which was personal. I am a little miffed that you didn't include me though.:)

Actually, if you want to know the truth, I think most of the general population listens at levels we find painful. Nothing wrecks the ears better than an Acoustimas System being played at 100dB with FM radio.

Actually, if you want to know the truth, I think most of the general population listens at levels we find painful. Nothing wrecks the ears better than an Acoustimas System being played at 100dB with FM radio.

I dunno....I kinda like that sound. I think you need to improve your source material... [:o][;)]

Current list of the most active users. In reality as of late Dean hasn't been posting much he is actually playing mother hen over his own children these days. He's really pulling his hair out now [;)]

Most Active Users

Craig,

Just so I am clear, did you promote Marks products
because they were really great products with great customer service as
you said or was that an exageratation to reward him for being your
mentor in the design of the VRD? It now sounds like it may have been a back scratching deal on your part. UMM...

rigma

Rigma,

I couldn't comment on all of Mark's products but the preamps are top notch in the Sonics department. In fact just yesterday after most of this transpired I agreed to send my very own Xtreme preamp to a customer of mine just so he can try it (I use this just about every single day). I bet a dime to a dollar this customer ends up buying one. Nothing changed the product is a great performer and I recommend it highly. I don't flip flop.

I've always been bull headed if you come at me and I come right back freind or foe. I'm pretty sure anyone that has been on this board will attest to that LOL As the saying goes I am what I am! But at least I'm man enough to admit my mistakes and short comings.

Yup back scratching has went on from both ends. Is there something wrong with that?? But it seems I'm also expected to agree on all subjects these days and that I can not do in this case.

Craig

PS

Just to put the story straight I wouldn't go as far as to say Mark was my mentor on the VRD amplifier the first pair I ever built were built at a time when Mark was not even available to help me for personal reasons. I had rarely conversed with him for 6 months around at the time. This was the first proto type that Sheltie Dave owns. Mark helped me design and implement a circuit board front end that ended up in the final product. Yea he was an excellent help but to tell you the truth the circuit is very straight forward and to the piont (kind of like me) a very similar circuit can be found in many popular and highly regarded power amps of the golden tube era. Nothing earth shatter and IMHO nothing earth shattering is required just attention to detail. A mistake many tube audio designers make today is they over engineer.

Nil contribution to the subject at hand on this page then.....

FWIW - Mark - I detected a quite well hidden smiley face in Dean's post - I don't think he was really offended - he was teasing you.

FWIW - Craig - Glad to see that you shall continue to promote Mark's pre on the basis of its sonic capabilities rather than not promote it on the basis of a thread in a discussion board.

Choosing amps on the basis of tone anyone?

I will even accept others who score 86.1 on the music test thing [8]