CD still skips - Any New Items?

Jeff Matthews

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeff the reason why it skips is the fact it is 20 years old and has no implements of buffers or any anti skip protection. Most cdplayers now have a feature that basically protects the song from skip, it loads the song onto ram in the cdplayer and then it plays from the ram (no moving parts). Harddrive based systems are alot better than any cd player as hard drives, if you vibrate it so much that you make it skip you are probably damaging the hard drive and blew your ears up already. Again most harddrive based systems also have internal buffers that do said feature above.

"I still wish they had cheap iPod-like song storage for home stereo components"

They do, it's called a media server.

I have the Onkyo NAS 2.3

About your skipping problem......if you have a multimeter, check the AC volts with all your audio off, then check it with everything turn on loud. You might have whats called "jiter" which is basiclly a missing bytes senero which has nothing to do with vibrations, but rather changes in actual signal quality that results in dropped frames.

jeff the reason why it skips is the fact it is 20 years old and has no implements of buffers or any anti skip protection. Most cdplayers now have a feature that basically protects the song from skip, it loads the song onto ram in the cdplayer and then it plays from the ram (no moving parts). Harddrive based systems are alot better than any cd player as hard drives, if you vibrate it so much that you make it skip you are probably damaging the hard drive and blew your ears up already. Again most harddrive based systems also have internal buffers that do said feature above.

Jay's point about poor anti-skip technology and newere technology incorporating RAM sounds like it makes sense. What do you all think?

To be sure it is a true vibration-caused skip, I will add that when the skip occurs, the timer/clock jumps around, too. Is this what is supposed to happen when it a skip occurs - or is there some other reading fault?

As old as yours is just about any CD Player on Audiogon for between
$ 200-300 would most likely be allot less jittery and less prone to
skip.

Cambridge Audio http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1170204253

Marantz CD63 http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1170086334

Rotel RCD971 http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1169664905

I almost bought this model about 4 years ago; went into outboard DACs instead.

That's a toughie, Jeff. A new CD player could cost you as much as $39.

The practice of law isn't what it used to be. Its hard to make ends meet. To make $39, Jeff would have to open an email and log a "0.1" in his billing sheet.

Hee Hee Hee[Y]...I may take the LSAT in the spring.

Be sure you really want to do that.

You need a plan of action for when you get out. If not you can wind up at some horrible firm working 50 to 80 hours a week and have no life but a good paycheck which will seem small because all of your clients are rich. No a very fun life. I worked my way into an in-house gig. Normal business hours and not too stressful. I'd hate to wake up an feel like I threw my life away..be careful.

The practice of law isn't what it used to be. Its hard to make ends meet. To make $39, Jeff would have to open an email and log a "0.1" in his billing sheet.

You need a plan of action for when you get out. If not you can wind up at some horrible firm working 50 to 80 hours a week and have no life but a good paycheck which will seem small because all of your clients are rich. No a very fun life. I worked my way into an in-house gig. Normal business hours and not too stressful. I'd hate to wake up an feel like I threw my life away..be careful.

Valid points all. One of my best friends has a thriving private general practice. Mostly criminal & chancery with a little circuit thrown in. Not a lot of circuit activity in this small area of about 40k. So I would have a home to come back to with ready business. This is his idea but I don't know if I can even get in. We play golf with the guy who was just elected Govenor of Arkansas, so he could probably make it happen. I'm not sure i'm committed.

Like you said, sometimes when I think about it I watch "The Firm."

Valid points all. One of my best friends has a thriving private general practice. Mostly criminal & chancery with a little circuit thrown in. Not a lot of circuit activity in this small area of about 40k. So I would have a home to come back to with ready business. This is his idea but I don't know if I can even get in. We play golf with the guy who was just elected Govenor of Arkansas, so he could probably make it happen. I'm not sure i'm committed.

Like you said, sometimes when I think about it I watch "The Firm."

I agree with Chris to some extent. I've seen alot of miserable lawyers - but I think they are mostly just whiners. But those who think they'll win a prize if they put in 50-60 or more hours a week over sustained periods..... they really ought to re-think things. The fact is money is not all it is cracked up to be. If it was, I'd easily make more. Farting around some..... priceless!!!!

Okay, and how to hook it to my pre-amp? And do I have to count on my PC to provide fidelity? Maybe we're on to something. I'm not up to speed on all the technology.

from the soundcard you use a 1/8 ministereojack (headphone) to 1/4 incch rca. And if you have a quality soundcard and rip them at 320 kbps mp3 or apple lossless or .wav (cd quality) it will be fine

"Well, the skipping also occurs when I just have the stereo playing a little loud"

This is a Jeff little loud. The man that was convinced 60 wpc would not be enough for him on his KHorns. MY guess - there may be nothing wrong with teh CD player itself - but there may be structural damage to the property.....[:D]

OK - just teasting you there Jeff - borrow a CD player from a friend and see if it has the same problem. If it does - get a joggers CD player, if it doesn't - forget to return it...

Max your a riot..........

Okay, and how to hook it to my pre-amp? And do I have to count on my PC to provide fidelity? Maybe we're on to something. I'm not up to speed on all the technology.

If your using a cheap 20 year old wore out CD player then most likely a PC with a descent sound card would absoltely have at least equal fidelity. The hookup is simple to accomplish you can purchase an adaptor to change the connections on the back of any soundcard to end up with normal RCA termination to hookup to your preamp. Some of the best audiophile soundcrad come equipted with RCA jacks! But I suspect your not going to flip for the cost to do the project right so.......

Craig

I remember an old trick dating back to my turntable days. First I'd try cleaning my laser, Q-tip and alcohol works best. Next, I like the idea of trying another to see if it skips also, I've tried 4 and they all skip, so the final tip that works for me is setting the CD player on Cinder Blocks directly on the floor. Don't laugh I used to set my Ariston ICon turntable with .5 grams tonearm weight and crank it up with no skipping.

just a thought.