room makes a differance

joessportster

ive heard this several times and to be honest i didnt really think much of it, well ive been working on the house, tore up all the carpet and installed hardwood flooring in the living room, now the k-horns are a good bit brighter, im not sure but it seems to have a little more air around the instruments and artists, detail seems just a little more detailed also, planning on getting a oriental type rug for the room, but that will be awhile comming, do you think this will cut out a little of the brightness but hopefully leave some of the other aquired sound

Joe

ive heard this several times and to be honest i didnt really think much of it, well ive been working on the house, tore up all the carpet and installed hardwood flooring in the living room, now the k-horns are a good bit brighter, im not sure but it seems to have a little more air around the instruments and artists, detail seems just a little more detailed also, planning on getting a oriental type rug for the room, but that will be awhile comming, do you think this will cut out a little of the brightness but hopefully leave some of the other aquired sound

Joe

Absolutely a nice large throw rug will help a bunch!

I've always preffered the sound of a room with good hard floors....except when it comes to horns. Dunno what it is, but the khorns are especially bright with a hard reflective floor surface.

As far as the effects of the room - I find that it is of a much larger magnitude than that of any other mod in the system (provided the speakers and amps and stuff are at least decent).

Joe

it DO make a difference..although I have berber carpeting in the music room, I had to throw up a few tapestries to tame the reflections on hard drywall. I was used to paneling that would absorb the sound, not reflect it. Made a huge difference. The room is the biggest factor in my opinion..

Steve

i really like my music on the crisp clear side but i also like to feel the bass, right now i have the crisp clear but maybe juat a tad to bright i also beleive i have decent bass but i feel it should be a little better (hit a little harder you know kinda feel it in my chest type thing, but a little below that extreme is what i would really like to achieve) would a carpet help with the bass, i do not currently have the k-horns sealed against the wall as one of my corners consists of 2 doors i was toying with the idea of building false corners as i heard bryans set up and his bass was definately deeper although his system is tons differant than mine, i just hate to spend 200.00 on plywood cut it up and find that i havent gained much.......

any suggestions on how to improve bass with room treatments?????? i know i need to either seal the horns or do the false corner thing, but what else is there without killing all the benefits i achieved with the new floors

Joe

I had a problem with my room being incredibly bright tons of echo. It was driving me nuts. My room has wood floors and a couple windows. I put down a large rug and hung very large thick curtains that almost entirely cover my back wall the curtains were 9.5ft long and about 15ft wide. This was one of the most dramatic changes I have made.

Where do you get sound absorbant drywall?

The stuff is expensive. Incidentally, the notion of sound absorption is confusing. Since most material and techniques only work over a limited band of frequencies. Heroic measures are required for the lower frequencies. Unfortunately many of the sound absorbing techniques simply end up providing too much absorption at the higher frequencies. Which may or may not be required. Best to measure first and then have a directed plan of attack (absorption, diffusion & trapping) since these things can get quite expensive. The good news is that some the stuff is DIY, so you can save a few bucks

-Tom

Placing a oriental carpet on the linoleum covered basement floor improved the brightness of my Khorns. Removing the big projection screen color TV between the speakers opened the wall to the neighbors house. Placing some stuffed chairs and stools around the room improved the soundstage even more. Lastly, I have 2' X 2' panels in the suspended ceiling and replacing several panels with acoustic 2' X 2' panels (four actually) made a great difference.

>>>Dan