Sub or camera lenses?

BobbyT

I'm torn. I was going to set a little money aside and replace my 15" Dayton Titanic mk 3 with a SVS PC Ultra. But having bought a Canon rebel Xt back in July I have a serious case of the photography bug. Now I'm thinking since the Titanic is a very nice sub, to put the money into more lenses for the camera. Due to a pending new arrival to my family this April I can't buy both the sub and lenses. That whole diaper and formula thing is going to override the need for more grown up toys. So what would you do?

If you are happy with your current setup get the lenses. Plus you can't play the music that loud once the baby comes. The lenses will last as long as the speakers or just long enough to capture the baby graduating from college. Also congrats on the new arrival.

James

Thanks for all the replies. It's unanimous lenses it is. Thanks for the offer Colter. I have my next 2 lenses picked out, but I will definitely take you up on that offer for the rest. And you guys are right, that sub would get heavy lugging it around for snapshots.

And for the record, I'm actually very happy with my sub. The 15" Titanic kit sub is a quite capable sub. But in the audio hobby it seems a lot of us get in the mindset of always looking at that next upgrade, even if what we already have is excellent.

A late chime-in here- on the road for 2 weeks. We have the Rebel XT also, and we bought it because we are Canon-ites (family tradition dating to to 1950) and we had several good lenses for our Elon II 35 that fit the XT. We keep a 28-105 F3.5-4.5 on it normally and that is our workhorse. I'd be glad to share notes with you (or anybody really) on the XT and our experiences with it. We also have a Canon S9000 printer and hope to upgrade to one of their 10 colour models next year.

I would love to hear your input Boom, and Colter's. My plan is to pick up a Canon 28mm 1.8 and a 70-300 IS USM. I have the 18-55 kit lens, 75-300 USM which I will be selling, and a 50mm 1.8, and a 430 EX flash. I think that for the shooting I will be doing those lenses will do what I need and fit the current budget. I also will be shooting events for the LGHS, like the annual convention. The 28 is a good, fast lens that will work well in low light. And it is a good combination of length and width for shooting the crowd and guest speakers.

I'm replying in the thread because PMs or e-mail via the Forum has not been reliable, IME. My chief compliant ( small one) about the XT is that the optical viewfinder framing is a little off. I also wish it had the tilting LCD screen like our Canon G3 does. The G3, BTW, is an utter POS. We can't even give it away.

The file transfer from the XT to a PC via USB tends to be slow, so I just put the card into araeder attached to the PC.

Canon'sDigital Photo Professional is OK as a RAW importer but it ain't great and somewhat counter-intutive. One of these days I will get a 3rd party RAW utility.

I assume you are aware of the Michael Riechman's Lumious Landscape site. Michael is a Canonite also and gets to play with kilobuck stuff I will never see in retail, much less own.

for those keeping track thats from left to right

Dtel's baby girl Jessica

Dtel's sister Joni

Dtel's mom Joy

Dtel's wife Christy

Dtel's daughter Jennifer

Dtel's neice Alisha

Dtel's daughter Joni

To make the 'J' thing a bit more confusing, the grooms were Joey and Johnny- arrrrghhhh

Thanks for all the replies. It's unanimous lenses it is. Thanks for the offer Colter. I have my next 2 lenses picked out, but I will definitely take you up on that offer for the rest. And you guys are right, that sub would get heavy lugging it around for snapshots.

And for the record, I'm actually very happy with my sub. The 15" Titanic kit sub is a quite capable sub. But in the audio hobby it seems a lot of us get in the mindset of always looking at that next upgrade, even if what we already have is excellent.

what lens are you looking for? A buddy of mine is a Canon guy who has some digital lenses for sale.

M

I am still deciding on the final choices. I am thinking of either getting a Canon 28mm 1.8 and use it with my 50mm 1.8 and kit lens, or selling the kit and the 50 in favor of the 17-55mm 2.8 USM IS. The 17-55 will basically do everything the other 3 will do as good or better. But it will only work on the Rebels, 20D, and 30D. The 17-55 will not mount to a full frame camera so if I ever upgrade bodies I can't use it. Plus it is a $1000 lens. I also want to get the 70-300mm 4 USM IS.