Smilinwalls-Are these the Ultimate horns? Tom, Dean THANKS

smilin

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They look nice Steve but mind they don't shoot the highs and upper mids right over your head. Looks to me like you're gonna need to sit way back.

Tom,

These are 2 pieces, and we are gonna spike the rear higher than the front for optimal(hopefully)midrange-high dispersion[:P]

All those pics are upside down Tom.

Yeah, but lay it on its side and you have one helluva center channel . . . . . ala the old CW verts. . . . . and it could support one huge screen in your HT set-up . . .

Steve, you might have to be sitting back on the basement stairs to get the dispersion desired, but those are gorgeous . . . . .. .

Steve---I see, you can adjust them. That's good because you'll probably need to. I had to go to the hardware store and get extra length brackets in order to get my A7 horns tilted down enough to focus at 10 feet.

Tommy, Nice to see ya got the room for da big boy's again, I love it, Big sound too!!!

Howya like your new digs?[H]

Hope you call me next time your in chitown[:D]

Good gracious Steve! I hope you have a really tall chair or plan to listen standing up! Can't wait for a review.

BTW - Happy Hanukah!!

Gary, Thanks, and a happy Hanukah too you too!!! Hope the family is doing fine, and I miss ya buddy[:D] I normally sit on my couch(potatoe)and sure hope I can get these perfected, also hope they have the right soundstage et. Tom says they are AMAZING, I willl see(hear)soon enough.

Steve----well those big boys, the A7s have to go. First guy with $500 can have them.

Tom, wathcha gonna get to replace these?

I like Lexington. I'll call next time I'm up in Chicago, we'll go visit a buddy of mine who lives in an old firehouse at Western and Irving and uses a pair of Altec A4s. And we'll go to Manny's.

I look forward to it Tom, plus, as a bonus, a buddy of mine owns Manny's, we get treated REAL good there.

• 3 months later...

I would prefer a few more words. Do we get a [Y] or a [N] A killer combination of parts -- hopefully they at least meet expectations.

[Y][H] YOWZA, Last night was rockin, at concert levels, with my daughter, and her friends.......they have NEVER experienced anything like these, these puppie SING!!!!

These puppies sound REAL, musical, detailed, with astounding bass/midbass. The mids are very liquid, with treble, non hyper-detailed. The soundstage is wider than the speakers, deep and layered. I was so excited to have high efficiency horn speakers again, so I could use my lower powered 300B amps. I grabbed my Mactone MA300B, hooked it up, and damn, I blew something.Smoke billowed up, and above my amp, and I started to sweat. I hhad a few friends over, who helped me get these monsters into my house, they thankfully took pity on my predicament. They brought over my Dodd 120's, removed the Mactone, and after I up hooked it, up, we were all smilin. I loved the sound, but could not get past the noise from the amp. My buddy who is buying my 12/12's was there, so we swapped these, for my Wavelength Cardinal's with their SET magic. Was I finally gonna be able to live with SET in my 6000 cubic foot room? Were these efficient enough with the 2 15" woofers per bass bin? WELL, actuallly no. They instantly sounded sweeter, tighter, musical, as all get out, but, I enjoy a bit f edge, and, even at just over 100db efficient, I culd not get the LIVE spl I need to have available, plus, they did not handle the woofers, in the way I desired. WOW, what frikin dilemma......I waited till Saterday, to hook up my Moscode 401 HR, which needed to go into my conditioner, to make quiet, with the horns, and after swapping some tubes, I found my current, favorite combo. With 200 watts of combined mosfet/tube watts, I was FINALLY getting to heaven. I was able t take it from zero-120 in lightnig time, w/o distortion, and in deep smiling, ear, to ear....more to come[Y]

Good to hear something from you. You using the 4 ohm taps?

They will rock, that's for sure.

Deans crossovers are great, truth is I can't hardly find the transtion between the double woofers and the 2470/ALK Trachorn. Going into this deal I figured that might be an issue, but it didn't materialize.

What I really liked was the detail in the bass. Find a piece of symphony music with bowed double bass and cellos, it really comes across good.