a good soldering station ????

joessportster

Buy a used Metcal on ebay. I bought one about a year ago and it is *so* much better then my old Weller it is hard to explain to someone that hasn't used one. Up to temperature in a couple of seconds, has amazing heat transfer into the joint...etc..etc. I've literally held RCA chassis ground rings in my hand and soldered them together. The Metcal puts the heat into the joint so quickly you get great solder joints before the ring even gets warm to hold it. For electronic components that means less chance of damaging a component from too much heat.

Shawn

I prefer the primitive Antex with or without a vario transformer. Like some of the others they can deliver a lot of heat without raising the temperature, which I find is a problem with the thermostat controlled systems at least from my experience. They are very cheap too.

If you are building hardwired tube amplifiers, then chose a big tip, buy a little collection of different tips.

Søren

Weller entry level to mid priced completely suck today way over rated. Weller is not the company it once was. I've been using Hakko in place of 2 Weller's I won and IMHO there is no comparison the Hakko brand is hands down better then entry level Weller. The think with buying these less main stream brands that should be considered is local availability of replacement tips. Buy plenty of spare and types along with your new station. I few of each type you think you we use should last a hobbyist many, many years.

When talking Multimeters a Fluke is hard to beat and nearly indestructible.

Craig

thanks guys i beleive i will look for a hakko as i know craig uses his daily

Joe

As a matter of fact its on for about 12 hours a day, most days. The tips on a Weller would go to hell in a hand basket about once a week under those conditions. On the Hakko I change them about once every three months!! I'm totally impressed with the great value they are. I believe someone here suggested it last year I just can't remember who...

Craig

Weller entry level to mid priced completely suck today way over rated. Weller is not the company it once was. I've been using Hakko in place of 2 Weller's I won and IMHO there is no comparison the Hakko brand is hands down better then entry level Weller.

When talking Multimeters a Fluke is hard to beat and nearly indestructible.

Craig

Weller is part of the Cooper Tools group. Cooper is awesome at taking a grand old brand name, cheapening it up and selling zillions of them at Home Depot and anywhere else they can go. Crescent Wrenches, Plumb Hammers, Wiss Snips, etc. Those used to be great tools. Junk now. Weller is sort of the same from what I've seen.

Craig,

Thanks for the link.

What extra tips do you recommend adding to the initial purchase?

How do you select the tip and temp for various applications?

What type solder and flux do you recommend?

What do you recommend for solder removal?

What do you use for heat sinks (shunts)?

Thanks for your help!!!

Craig,

Thanks for the link.

What extra tips do you recommend adding to the initial purchase?

How do you select the tip and temp for various applications?

What type solder and flux do you recommend?

What do you recommend for solder removal?

What do you use for heat sinks (shunts)?

Thanks for your help!!!

craig i second this question

joe