Best stereo/home theater magazines?

wuzzzer

While I agree a lot of them cater to the advertiser in some fashion or degree I do find I mostly enjoy "UHF" (out of Canada and don't pull a lot of punches - if it sucks they pretty much say so) and The Absolute Sound (maybe for the style of their writers more than anything but a good rag overall)

I dunno about being "the best" but, I do enjoy 'Home Theater' and 'Sound & Vision'. Bascially, I feel that all magazines tend to be slanted towards their advertisers. I simply take what they write with a grain of salt.....like I do everything else I hear about products. If I am really interested in a product, I go do my own research. -Glenn

I have been a subscriber of Sound & Vision for almost 10 years, back when it was Stereo Review, I look forward to it every month! Just like everything out there, take it with a grain of salt!

As a consumer and not a real tech guy, it fits my needs.

Oh, by the way, Hello everyone, this is my first post![H]

Stereo Review was good. I used to read it when I was in junior high school at the school library. It pointed me in the right direction.

I don't trust John Atkinson or his rag Stereophile.

I get most of my info from the internet, forums from other stereo geeks like myself.

Save yer money - get a subscripton to something good like Playboy or National Geographic.

What is worthwhile depends, for me, on the cost.

I keep my subscription to AudioXpress because it has home construction articles including horns. Just as the precursor Audio Amateur did

Then I get offers for stuff like Audiophile and S&V for about $1 a copy by mail (probably because I'm on a list, maybe from AudioXpress, but who knows). At that price I can put up with the worthless pages.

Thought: If I lived in a little cabin with a woodburning stove, I could get though a winter heating it with junk mail.

Gil

My magazine interest is primarily focused on software rather than hardware, recent subscriptions are Blender, Stereophile and TAS. Interviews with Mark Levinson, Bob Stuart and other industry icons are fun as well.

For reviews(in minority part of my decision making process) I have only bought my Panasonic RP-91, Grado carts, MSB LINK II and upsampler from GW Labs based upon reviews. Never a speaker or amplifier.

I'll add a bit after taking more notice that you're asking about home theater. S&V is the old Stereo Review, BTW.

What is best for you depends on where you're coming from and what you need to know.

I enjoy reading S&V because it does give you an idea of what is coming out and the video display area, Blu Ray, etc. and connectivity.

It (and many other publications) are like college. Only 30 percent of it is worthwhile for anyone. But which 30 percent for anyone is tough to gauge. Mostly it is a vocablulary builder which allows you to investigate further.

You really do have to read between the lines and keep in mind the trends. A given review may critque a display based on whether the display correctly shows the shadows in Frodo's cloak, or like that. Then this marvel is marked down 40 percent at Best Buy in a couple of months.

Gil