Claims it tops the Khorn

jwc

I think the real issue is his aproach. When reading the advertisment, I get the feeling I am reading something by a slick used car salesman. The price he has set and the standard he compares them to has might big shoes to fill!

Additionally, he claims they look far better than Khorns, which to him they may. To me they certainly don't. Of course if he only got $1,000 for his khorns they had to look pretty distressed anyway.

I truly have no problem with someone wanting to better a product, or build stand alone...if you do though, you better be somewhat humble about your claims. I think gladly enviting people for a listen and comparison would be a far more effective route. I think had I read that, even if I didn't take him up on it, he would have apeared more sincere and believable.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Tom....put all your favorite drivers in a bin and then randomly pick components out and connect them together. Would you really expect it to sound good?"

Maybe, you know Berenek's Law. I can see the things sounding good from the midrange up.

Might sound as good as a crossover designed by a guy who doesn't know impedence varies with frequency. Or systems that run Altec 902s or TAD 2001s down to 400hz. I dunno. I see lots of questionable stuff on here that doesn't draw the flak these things did.

To me what was funny wasn't the guy's efforts, as misguided as they may have been, but the unrealistic value he placed on them.

All us DIY speakerbuilders start somewhere and often with errant notions. Sometimes we learn.

especially this one

http://tpluspod.com/rtl/fostex%20PVChorn.html

" Tom....put all your favorite drivers in a bin and then randomly pick components out and connect them together. Would you really expect it to sound good?"

Maybe, you know Berenek's Law. I can see the things sounding good from the midrange up.

Might sound as good as a crossover designed by a guy who doesn't know impedence varies with frequency. Or systems that run Altec 902s or TAD 2001s down to 400hz. I dunno. I see lots of questionable stuff on here that doesn't draw the flak these things did.

To me what was funny wasn't the guy's efforts, as misguided as they may have been, but the unrealistic value he placed on them.

All us DIY speakerbuilders start somewhere and often with errant notions. Sometimes we learn.

especially this one

http://tpluspod.com/rtl/fostex%20PVChorn.html

Hmm, wonder if that guy goes to a lot of Blue Man Group shows?

"Well, "say" Tommy, and "make the point""

I just clarified it, Spongeworthy understands it now.

"I will remove the badges and make earrings of them per your request."

You can make suppositories of them for all I care.

"Oh yes, about your avatar"

This has nothing to do with what I use and everything about the irony of a guy being criticized on the Klipsch site for making custom speakers with Klipsch components. There, I've explained it again, that's twice.

Tommy,

Early on, It was your experience and expertise with Altec/JBL that inspired me (and others) to blend those horns and drivers with Klipsch bass bins. I thank you for that, eternally greatful. My sound improved due to your recommendations.

........"902's run down to 400hz..........Ever seen the curves? Ever listened to them crossed at that point?

As for your suggestion to make the "slice of pie" logo into a suppository. That shape could be painful to insert. I would be willing to try, but only if you would be willing to kiss it where it hurts.

Warm regards,

Terry

"Well, "say" Tommy, and "make the point""

I just clarified it, Spongeworthy understands it now.

"I will remove the badges and make earrings of them per your request."

You can make suppositories of them for all I care.

"Oh yes, about your avatar"

This has nothing to do with what I use and everything about the irony of a guy being criticized on the Klipsch site for making custom speakers with Klipsch components. There, I've explained it again, that's twice.

Tommy,

Early on, It was your experience and expertise with Altec/JBL that inspired me (and others) to blend those horns and drivers with Klipsch bass bins. I thank you for that, eternally greatful. My sound improved due to your recommendations.

........"902's run down to 400hz..........Ever seen the curves? Ever listened to them crossed at that point?

As for your suggestion to make the "slice of pie" logo into a suppository. That shape could be painful to insert. I would be willing to try, but only if you would be willing to kiss it where it hurts.

Warm regards,

Terry

Actually, I don't think Tom really understands just how much respect there is in the various forums for his propensity to not pull any punches about his opinions and/or for his quest for the best sound to his ears - no matter a particular allegiance. Cheers.

Maybe when my wife asks me why 511/Altecs are now sitting on top of my beautiful Belles (rear surrounds) instead of 811s, I'll just say that it is "Tom's Law." [:$] Oh, the "heresy" of it all, but being just a fan of "horns," I still have some Klipsch parts left in my surrounds.

That or I can just say that I am helping Sheltie Dave sort out his "collection" of various horns (Klipsch, Altecs, JBL, etc.) and remind her that they are only on loan [:D]

Carl.

"Just curious. What is wrong with improving upon the average drivers and horns used in Klipsch heritage speakers?"

I won't say. And you miss the point.

I just find it odd that on a forum where guys discuss turning Klipsch speakers into JBLs, Altecs, TADs and other such things that a fella is being lambasted for making custom speakers using----gasp-----Klipsch drivers and crossovers.

For my part in starting the response to this thread, I just wonder still if they are so great and so much better than khorns by this guys opinion, why would he want to sell them? So much trouble for custom speakers, and they are even better than khorns, and prettier according to this guy, so what's not to love? Will the sale keep him from being homeless? (sorry but that's the only reason why I would feel it necessary to sell my Forte II's) I just have to be skeptical when I hear someone selling the best thing since sliced bread, but maybe it's my own predjudice at being able to slice my own bread with alacrity (and I really am talking about slicing bread here).

IB Slammin

You shame me. I apologize for my hostility.

Not to shame, and no need to apologize. We have the same objectives, and are on the same page if we know it or not. I am here to learn about the aspects of audio that apply to my quest. I will learn about the other stuff, in due time. As far as I am concerned, you and me are in good shape. (as long as you continue to tutor me)[:D]

tc

I'd like to know as well why he's selling "the best speakers you'll ever own".

Maybe to him they are better looking/sounding than the Klipschorns, but to boast the way he does on his creations either proves to me he's an egomaniac who claims to know his $hit, or he's one of the biggest fools out there. Just my opinion, natch!

I personally think they're heinous, and the Klipsch nameplate should be removed immediately from their laminated formica cabinets.

Whatever. It'd be interesting if a Klipsch Forum member would actually buy these towers and then perform a genuine A/B comparison test between them and the venerable Klipschorns. Just my gut feeling, but I'd bet the Khorns would win hands down...IMHO!

Those would sure do it for me if they were painted pink! You guys miss the point. How many speaker cabinets can you use to cut cheese or place your hot piece of pizza on. And you can use them in the Peterbuilt repair facility as wheel chocks and music at the same time! But then again the Wizard I am knows zero about most things but I am sure you could be-head chickens on them and not leave a scratch. You got to admit they are some what original.

Wiz

Those would sure do it for me if they were painted pink! You guys miss the point. How many speaker cabinets can you use to cut cheese or place your hot piece of pizza on. And you can use them in the Peterbuilt repair facility as wheel chocks and music at the same time! But then again the Wizard I am knows zero about most things but I am sure you could be-head chickens on them and not leave a scratch. You got to admit they are some what original.

Wiz

I like your thoughts but knives on formica definitely leaves scratches. You could put glasses without coasters on them with no worries. I live near a Peterbilt factory, if they had Khorns as chocks, and hooked up and playing, I would apply for a job there, no doubt.

Formica????? Better looking than Khorns?

It makes me think of a saying we had back in college that went something like, "wow, I wouldn't play those with YOUR system".

- d

Dude! I think the saying is much different, unless you are an ubernerd. It goes something like: I wouldn't touch her with your (blank).