Cornwall Placement Question

discusman

If I'm not mistaken, the general placement instructions for all of the Heritage speakers is that they perform best when placed on the floor in a corner.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Cornwalls sound good in the corners, most speakers do, they will need to be out about a foot or two, if you have the room, but it is not necessary, they should be pointed at your ears or the back of your head, whichever you prefer, great speakers for the price ...

------------------

Cornwalls & Klipsch subs; leather couch & feet up; lights out & tubes glowing!

There really is no reason to hesitate if you only have corners, or don't have corners. Or only have one of each.

At worst, you're going to have a chance to hear a speaker which has great performance. In the unlikely event you don't like them, you can probably recoup the purchase price on resale.

Gil

Hey, Colin, it seems unless you have an enormous head, the difference between pointing a speaker at your ears versus the back of your head would seem to be miniscule. Are you serious when you suggest (are you suggesting?) that there would be any discernable difference?

fini

Colin has his speaker placement down to a science. I was at his house a while back and he made up charts, graphs, you name it which told him exactly where to put his Cornwalls. Biggrin.gif They sounded lovely, btw. He also had like 40 lb patio bricks sitting on top of each to weigh them down (take the place of spikes?). Anyway, he's a heck of a nice guy and can talk all day about the audio hobby... a man after my own heart. Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Thanks, Mike,

Yes, I was serious, because there is debate as to how much better the imaging (and the highest end of the treble range) is when you listen directly on-axis with the tweeters, pointed exactly at your ears versus the benefits of listening slightly off axis, with the tweeters pointed at the back of your head or farther way.

Focus and extension of the mid-range and high end sounds enhances the illusion of image, improves the perception of higher frequencies and can even help with bass definition. (A 40 Hz bass notes has harmonics that extend all the way down to 17 Hz and all the way up to 700 Hz.)

------------------

Colin and Mike, I'm sure Colin's Cornwalls sound great. I love what you both add to this board. My question was, I guess, one of logistics: How can you that precisely locate your ears relative to the Cornwalls? If there is only one best exact sweet spot, and it's that sweet, how can more than one person listen at a time? No disrespect or teasing, here. Just curious. I rarely stay in one spot while listening to music.

Regards, fini

To Fini....

I think the "sweet spot" recommended is perhaps more critical for say listening in a home theater setup where your in maybe a 2-4 seat area... I also feel "generally" that any heritage speaker, situated in a large or even more critical in a smaller room is always better on the floor, and in a corner. That said.....

I have also placed them against a wall just straight out or just slightly toed in and ya know, it sounds crazy (I have no real audio graphs to back it up../../) But in a large room it really feels great cranked up this way also. I think it is because in two way stereo it is just great to hear music where things meant go to the left or right speakers or mixed in the center is played back that way too. ( Hearing, "feeling wise" no center speaker in this idea but you get the point.)

While I am a Incredible huge Klipsch supporter... Speakers, in general, are where I say let your "own ears" tell you what you like. So enjoy your find, experiment, heck even upgrade cables, or try one of AL K's crossovers if that suits your curiosity for the perfect sound to your own ears. You already have "Ears" for Klipsch. Enjoy!!

IndyKlipschFan listens to Klipschorns, Cornwalls, and Heresy Speakers exclusively for the enjoyment of it all. Other Klipsch speakers are throughout his house in diffrent situations, for different purposes. The key is, he enjoys them. He suggests everyone do the same...

This message has been edited by IndyKlipschFan on 12-05-2001 at 01:01 PM

You can precisely locate the sweet spot and it does not have to be so small that you have to sit in exactly the same spot. But of course, when everything is set-up just right, that is what I do. No one else is that concerned with it. The first key is to whip out the tape measurer and make sure that each speaker is exactly the same distance from the wall you are facing, the front wall, and the sides walls. The next step is to make sure the speakers are exactly equidistant from each AND you the listener. They should from a triangle.

The ideal is that you are 150% further from the face of the speakers than the two are from each other. Got your speakers 72 inches apart? Then try to sit 108 inches in front of them. Four feet apart? Then try to be 6' in front of them. I find that the inches do matter, more so with the soild state amp than with the 2A3 Paramours. Since I got the Paramours, I fiddle with my system less. Nothing does more for the enjoyment of music than to get even the cheapest little speakers in the very best position.

And Mike? I guess I can tell you now. You have good ears. Remember how you said that my stereo image was pulling to the right? You were right. What I did not want to tell you then was that the left tweeter wire was off and that I had no left tweeter when you were here! Its absence may not make much difference in the music, but it was noticeable in the image.

cwm42.gif

------------------

Holy .... Just read that last paragraph of yours, Colin! Please tell me you all didnt sit there that whole session with the left tweeter wire off? heh... I'll say the image was pulling to the right, all right. Lordy. That should have been most disconcerting and noticable within the first five seconds to you. Did you have those ear muffs on that semi-deaf baggage handlers wear at Fort Lauderdale airort???? heh.....

Crazy. You guys in Florida are always pulling your own legs!

kh

Just for information's sake, here's what PWK says about Heritage speaker placement from my owner's manual. (By the way, like everyone else, you need to experiment and find what suits your room and ears. All of the information in this thread is just a guideline.)

"For maximum performance and ideal stereo imaging, the ratio of the wall length "A" (distance between the speakers) to wall length "B" (distance from front to back wall) should be 1.00:.618. If such a wall length is not presnt in your listening room, attempt speaker placement which will approximately match this ratio."

I'm not claiming this is gospel, but it is interesting that PWK recommends having the speakers in the corners of the LONG wall of the rectangle. They also have a drawing which depicts the ideal room. They don't give the measurements, but by looking at the grid and speaker size in the depiction, it looks like two Cornwalls, with a 45 degree toe-in on the long wall of a 20FT x 13FT room.

Incedentally, my Cornwalls are toed-in on the SHORT wall of my rectangular room, but it is the closest REASONABLE approximation of the ideal ratio I could get. My horns are looking in my ears and placed deep into the corners for best bass response (room is 20 x 30 feet with cathedral ceilings). Sounds good too.

Again, let your ears be the judge and experiment with the different recommendations here.

You'll love your Cornwalls.

Warm, happy regards to all,

Andy

Hmmm...Just sit and THINK for a minute as to WHY Paul Klipsch recommended this long wall placement. What speaker was really his child? The Klipschorn. And how is the Klipschorn designed? To fit in a corner with the rear cut at a right angle. IF said speaker is placed in this manner, think of where it would be aiming? I would HAVE to be on the long wall to even remotely come near intersecting the listener's head at his listening chair! IF on the short wall with the listener far back, the crossing point of the tweeter and midrange would be WELL in front of the listening position.

Seems it would make sense for ole Paul to recommend long wall placement. I find it less critical with the square backed speakers that can be aimed more or less with greater ease. In addition, the short wall does indeed end up providing more bass loading due to the average way a rectangular room is constructed.

kh

Cornwalls as their name suggests can be placed in the CORNer or on a WALL (CORN-WALL). I have experimented with placement in an effort to achieve the best imaging and depth of soundstage possible. I don't worry about bass as a Paradigm PW2200 looks after that quite nicely.

Although it's true corners = more bass, I've found better soundstage and imaging when the speakers are moved in from the corners and into th elistening area from the rear wall. The directional nature of Horns always sound best when aimed at the listener and toeing in is a necessity wether in the corner or on a wall. Of course the size and shape of the room will effect things. My room is 18' by 36'.

The distance between the listener and midway between the speakers should not be greater than the distance between the speakers. In other words the speakers should be closer to each other than the listener is to midawy between them. 80% is a good rule but this has some play. If the speakers are 12 feet apart, the listener should be about 15 feet from the midpoint between them. Again just a rule of thumb and not cast in stone.

That's what I've found. Experiment with your own listening environment and have fun.