O/T: Any Vegetable Gardeners here

dtel's wife

• Moderators

OB, You should plant a garden, then you would have plenty of corn for your jokes. (collective moan)

I'd love to meet Dick and tip one with him. Just his friendly writing style is endearing and, a fellow deer hunter all the more reason. He must be close to 80?

Rick

You sayin' my jokes aren't funny ? Dick is just as you picture except maybe alittle frisky with a cocktail or three..........I want to say he's 78, but don't qoute me................Always though he was kidding, he had a show on PBS Vermont I believe, plus his books......interesting ol' Buck........EH !!!!!!!!!

OB, some folks just don't get REAL humor!!!!![;)] Your sense of humor reminds me a lot of dtel.

Yes, you are an interesting ol'Buck. Guess that's why I personally enjoy reading your posts so much.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pretty good garden last year. Pole beans, six tomato plants, carrots, beets, lettuce, peppers, peas. I've got 4 raised beds (2/4X8, 2/3X8). It all kinda went to heck later in the summer, when I spen way too much time getting my late Mom's house ready for the market. It still hasn't sold...

• Moderators

I had a pretty good garden last year. Pole beans, six tomato plants, carrots, beets, lettuce, peppers, peas. I've got 4 raised beds (2/4X8, 2/3X8). It all kinda went to heck later in the summer, when I spen way too much time getting my late Mom's house ready for the market. It still hasn't sold...

Fini, I am sorry to hear the house still hasn't sold.

I new there was a veggie gardener inside that big, mean exterior facade you put on for everyone.[;)]

I knew this guy that grew stuff, but he used these expensive lights and kept the air in the room just right so it never mattered what season it was. His two best crops were Northern Lights # 6 and Black Domino. I haven't seen him in quite a while, he went on a little vacation for 7-10 years.

There was an entire house in a nice neighborhood in the area converted to crop production, they are also on vacation now...three squares and a roof....

I knew this guy that grew stuff, but he used these expensive lights and kept the air in the room just right so it never mattered what season it was. His two best crops were Northern Lights # 6 and Black Domino. I haven't seen him in quite a while, he went on a little vacation for 7-10 years.

Three hots and a cot........years ago I worked for D.O.C. as an employee.

I've always tried to have a garden wherever we were living at the time. About 4 years ago we purchased a home with some acreage and now finding room is not an issue. My garden from last summer was about 1/2 of an acre. Plowed with a tractor... the only way to do it on this scale. I made the mistake of planting 50 cabbage plants last spring,, all at the same time. I had more cabbage than the grocery store!! My wife has horses, so manure is not a problem. Each head of cabbage averaged 8 lbs apiece. Biggest cabbage I've ever grown. This year I'll only plant 25. I gave some away to all my neighbors plus a girl that works for me took 15 heads of it and made sourkraut for herself and me. I currently have around 200 lbs of potatos stored in the basement from last season. Plus onions, beets and all the stuff that the wife canned. One thing I have decided though. You really aren't saving any money by growing it yourself, just receiving the enjoyment of doing it. After spending 500 bucks to put up an electric fence around the garden to keep the deer from eating it all, plus adding the cost of seed and bug spray and my time in it I figure I'm eating cabbage at 10bucks a pound and potatos at 5 bucks a lb. And the corn at 1 buck an ear was also pretty darn good....

dave

• Moderators

Dave, didn't you find Corn takes up so much room? Alot of space for little return........................

OB, I am not trying to answer for Dave, but IMO the space corn takes up is so worth it.

Nothing like eating home grown fresh corn from the garden. We have grown several varieties, including Silver Queen and G90, IMO, the Silver Queen actually maintains it's quality after freezing better than G90.

Our grandkids will eat the corn straight from the garden before it's cooked. They can't wait to get their hands on the corn every year.

Dave, didn't you find Corn takes up so much room? Alot of space for little return........................

OB, I am not trying to answer for Dave, but IMO the space corn takes up is so worth it.

Nothing like eating home grown fresh corn from the garden. We have grown several varieties, including Silver Queen and G90, IMO, the Silver Queen actually maintains it's quality after freezing better than G90.

Our grandkids will eat the corn straight from the garden before it's cooked. They can't wait to get their hands on the corn every year.

I wanna come by your place at harvest time! I love fresh corn. I'll bring wine!

I believe the correct name is Black DominA not DominO.

OB.

Yeh buck, corn does take up alot of room but I have enough property that space is not an issue. I have seen people who did have space problems plant corn in hills or mounds. It took me a while to figure it out, but the worst thing I was doing to my corn crop was overseeding. To close together and down go the yields. I planted my corn last year 10 inches apart X 3 rows X 220 ft. My wife canned over 100 quarts of corn plus beans, limas, tomotos, peas etc. But I'm not saving anything. Just kindof cool to grow your own food.

Dave

Ah. I stand corrected. That was a few years ago, before I got all responsible and so forth.

• Moderators

Ah. I stand corrected. That was a few years ago, before I got all responsible and so forth.

Yea, okay.[;)]