Stylus Cleaner.... anyone know where some good stuff can be found for less than $24.99 (.57 oz)!

Mike Lindsey

OK, I gotta tell ya... this has to be one of the biggest ripoffs going in the audio world, and we all know there are plenty of them. I have been using Disc Doctor's Miracle Stylus Cleaner, which sells for $24.99 and you get 1/2 oz for that price. That's more than just about every high priced cologne known to mankind. I mean, really! Now I know this isn't a great deal of money, I mean most of the albums I buy cost more than this, but it's the principle of the matter.

I go thru this stuff like it's water and I'm sick of it ordering a new bottle every month. Can someone out there recommend something that works for them that doesn't break the bank.

Thanks,

Mike

I use Zerodust by Onzow and have been happy. Its a quarter size gel like substance that you lower your stylus onto. The stylus comes out clean with no residue. The top of the container has a built in maagnifying glass for checking out your stylus. At $69 its not cheap but it last indefinitely and you can wash it if necessary. I have a Clearaudio Virtuso Wood catridge and have used this product for over two years with great results.

Chuck

I go thru this stuff like it's water and I'm sick of it ordering a new bottle every month. Mike

Are you KDDING? One half of one little drop on the end of an artist's brush and the bristles stay damp enough to last 3-4 applications--enough for one complete listening session. I go through about 2 bottles of stylus cleaner per YEAR!!! You are over-doing it!!! You don't need to drown the stylus!

Mike,

I agree with Allan, you must be using a lot of cleaner. I've got a 1/4 oz bottle of Last Stylus Cleaner that lasts(no pun...) me about 2 years. There are some that recommend not using anything on your stylus other than an occasional dry brush. I fall somewhere in between with occasional stylus cleaning every couple of album plays or so. Are you partying too much and playing a lot of beer and resin soiled lps that require you do douse your stylus that often?[<:o)]

Are you KDDING? One half of one little drop on the end of an artist's brush and the bristles stay damp enough to last 3-4 applications--enough for one complete listening session. I go through about 2 bottles of stylus cleaner per YEAR!!! You are over-doing it!!! You don't need to drown the stylus!

Hmmm... looks like I'm using too much of the stuff. I don't use the liquid on every play (generally every 2 or 3), but it appears I am using too much when I do apply it on the brush. I also have a dry brush that came with the DL-103 that I use in between liquid applications.

Thanks for the advice... I'll take it easy on the stuff.

Mike

Isn't Discwasher still in business ? They had good AFFORDABLE products............a wide line of products to boot................

OB, the original discwasher folks from Missouri are not still in business. The name has been bought out and the new products are made in China and are not the same quality. I think the new formulation of lp cleaner has more alcohol than the old formula, to me not a good thing. I don't know about their stylus cleaner, but I am getting close to needing a refill.

• Moderators

Hmmm... looks like I'm using too much of the stuff. I don't use the liquid on every play (generally every 2 or 3), but it appears I am using too much when I do apply it on the brush. I also have a dry brush that came with the DL-103 that I use in between liquid applications.

Thanks for the advice... I'll take it easy on the stuff.

Mike

Mike,

That Zerodust previously mentioned is a great way to go. It will last almost forever, and what is great about it the stuff is you can see the crud that was on your stylus that gets left behind in the goo. The other good thing about it is that you are supposed to use a stylus brush after you apply the stylus cleaner. Everytime you do this you have the risk of causeing some kind of damage to the cantalever. You avoid this with the zerodust because you simply lover the stylus into it and then lift up.

The other stuff I use is the RRL No. 9, has been highly touted for years. Comes with stylus brush, and like Allan said, even with a clean after every lp, it will last a long time.

Travis

I can vouch for Mehran - he's a straight-shooter and a good guy to deal with. I also like the Zerostat cleaner and prefer it to the liquid stylus cleaners I used in the past. I read that cleaners with alcohol may weaken the glue that bonds the stylus to the cantilever though I never had any problems - better safe than sorry. The Zerostat is a gelatinous blob that the stylus "sinks" into and grips any dirt and dust. After a few weeks, the blob will have tiny dots of dirt all over it but it can be easily cleaned with mild detergent and then its as good as new. Every so often, Mehran will have a sale and drops the Zerostat's price to $29 w/free shipping.

Hey Travis,

I'm still undecided on this. According to Mehran the s/h is only $2 anywhere in the Continental US. I just ordered 2 bottles of the Disc Doctor Fluid along with a few other items from Elusivedisc and am a little tapped out at the moment. But I will probably order one of these in the near future.

Mike