Klipschorn 'Remodel' Project [Finally] Finished !

RFP

Good day, all....

Back in mid-January, I posted a lengthy description of my efforts to improve my newly-acquired and already heavily-modified Klipschorns (the thread is here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/855322.aspx ).

Well, after what seems like an awfully long time, I am finally finished with this project. Here are a few photos (I should mention that forum member 'Seadog' came by last Sunday and took some much better photos than these,,, he has much more talent than I and far better photo equipment, too. But, I don't have those files yet, so I'm posting my 'so-so' pix). From start to finish, this project took four months to the day... my wife says that it was worth every bit of it... so, since 'Mom's' happy, I guess that everybody's happy!

Certainly, my design - with a full 2.5" overhang, front and sides, will not be everyone's 'cuppa tea', but we feel that it really compliments the 'Mission style' furniture in our home.

Gosh, it's great to actually finish something !

All the best,

Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow very nice work, you did well. Man that is one huge amp on the floor, what brand is it?

arfz28...

Sheesh, it does look big in the photo, doesn't it? Funny, I hardly ever notice it... Linda calls that being 'house blind.'

Anyway, it is an Audio Research VT-100. One hunded watts per channel, quad 6550s in the output of each side.

Thanks so much for your kind compliments, means a lot!

Rob

Wow, looking snazzy there.

Whoever said big speakers were eye soars; I wouldn't mind seeing those on a daily basis.

Woah, I just noticed, theres a baby grand in the room! [Y]

Klipschorn's with a baby grand in the same room screams class! What brand is it if you don't mind?

el jopez...

Well, the fact is that it's a whole bunch bigger than a babu grand... the monster piano that shares our Music Room with the 'big rig' stereo is Linda's 7'4" Yamaha Conservatory Concert Grand. It is a magnificant instrument, indeed. I've been married to this great gal for nigh unto 47-years, and I am still dazzled - every day - at her remarkable talent. For many years, Linda has been "third call" pianist in the Fort Worth area... playing in all the "best" places (nope, they won't let me in!). As long as I'm bragging on her, here's a photo of her with composer Dr. James Mulholland. She performed the premier of one of his pieces a year or so ago...

Posted Image

Rob, here are some of the photos that we took on Sunday. Your workmanship is exquisite! These may be the best looking Khorns on the planet!

David...

Thanks a g'zillion for posting the photos! I can't thank you enough for all your good work. By the way, have you had a chance to listen to the Janis Ian "Breaking Silence" LP yet?

Rob

RFP,

Thank you very much for the insight! Its always a wonder to be able to rub shoulders with some of the greats of our time :)

Now, knowing her love and passion for the heart and soul of the music, what does she have to say about Klipsch brand speakers? I may be going on a limb, but I think, if she's like me, she might rather perform it than listen to it.

Now, knowing her love and passion for the heart and soul of the music, what does she have to say about Klipsch brand speakers? I may be going on a limb, but I think, if she's like me, she might rather perform it than listen to it.

el J...

Interesting point. I can not recall a single instance when Linda stopped, sat down and just 'listened'... certainly not like I do. She absolutely loves the Klipschorns in the Music Room, but never - and I mean never - turns that system on... I'm not sure that she knows how, and I am sure that she in intimidated by all those tubes. On the other hand, she frequently turns on the system in the den and enjoys the Cornwalls... but virtually always while she is doing something else. I joke with her about her preference for 'sonic wallpaper'... Of course, she's all over me for having to hear every little note and whatever! Now, to be fair to her, her years of musicianship has taken a high toll on her hearing.

Are you also a pianist?

Have a great weekend!

Rob

Rob...looking at your speakers again this morning I noticed the plant on top of the right speaker...reminded me of my McIntosh ML1Cs I bought in the early 70s..put a plant on top of one speaker....and you guessed it....the water wicked through the ceramic and left a nice white circle on top. I finally restored those Macs 2 years ago and they now sit second chair to my hybrid LSs. Actually I had glass tops cut for them and am using them for end tables in my music room where they rarely get played.

I read your comments about Linda's intimidation to use your equipment to my wife since the same thing is going on here. I use to have a Pioneer SX-1280 and a ss Denon cdp and Julia used it regularly. I then went to tubed horn monos, tubed preamp, and tubed cdp and she has not attempted to turn on the system since. Must be a girl thing!

Chuck

Rob...looking at your speakers again this morning I noticed the plant on top of the right speaker...reminded me of my McIntosh ML1Cs I bought in the early 70s..put a plant on top of one speaker....and you guessed it....the water wicked through the ceramic and left a nice white circle on top. I finally restored those Macs 2 years ago and they now sit second chair to my hybrid LSs. Actually I had glass tops cut for them and am using them for end tables in my music room where they rarely get played.

I read your comments about Linda's intimidation to use your equipment to my wife since the same thing is going on here. I use to have a Pioneer SX-1280 and a ss Denon cdp and Julia used it regularly. I then went to tubed horn monos, tubed preamp, and tubed cdp and she has not attempted to turn on the system since. Must be a girl thing!

Chuck

Happy Saturday, Chuck...

The 'plant' on the right speaker is 100% genuine plastic (!) You can bet that no water will ever get near those tops... and all the doo-dads that sit on the speakers are well padded on the bottom with those little stick-on felt pads. We have also talked of having glass cut for the tops, as you did for your ML1Cs... probably will. For what it's worth, the tops are not hard-secured to the top hats. There are just two dowels - one on each side of each speaker top - that fit into holes in the side panels. This way, I can lift the tops off easily whenever (if evr) needed, yet they stay in place very will.

Linda remembers the night when I turned the phono stage OFF before turning off the power amp... the little (?) 'spike' that was fed to the power amp instantly vaporized a plate resistor and thoroughly rearranged the insides of one of the 6550 output tubes (and not in a good way). So, with that misadventure in mind, she's happy to play the Cornwalls.

Have a great weekend!

Rob

Rob, here are some of the photos that we took on Sunday. Your workmanship is exquisite! These may be the best looking Khorns on the planet!

David...

Thanks a g'zillion for posting the photos! I can't thank you enough for all your good work. By the way, have you had a chance to listen to the Janis Ian "Breaking Silence" LP yet?

Rob

Rob,

Yes, I finally got a chance to that LP yesterday. It sounds fabulous.

Chuck

I don't know. My wife didn't mind using the tube equipment in the house when it was either use it or not listen to music. All I had to do was show her the sequence to use so something wouldn't blow up. Did have a babysitter set an lp on top of the Dynaco one night. I used to keep the cage on it while the children were real small. I can't even remember what lp it was now, since it was over 20 years ago. Then again, the house was often full of recording gear, microphones, amps, etc., as friends musician friends were always over at the house.