How did you get to where you are today?

Kain

Thanks, Phil! You've come up with some good ones, too!! I'm surprised this one apparently went over many folks' heads. I thought it was one of my best (if I do say so myself). Sorry for the li'l bit o' self-praise. At least I'm not just whoopin' it up about my post count...

It's not that it went over a bunch of heads, it's just that most of us chuckled but refused to comment further. Sort of a ten foot pole effect, which, when placed erect, oh never mind!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a degree is important, whether you use it in the field you were degreed in or just to show that you had the fortitude to complete college. Employers do look for this as a plus. I have a AA in business management and a BA in Marketing. However, it took me almost 10 years before I really used my marketing degree. I spent the last 17 years in the media industry from tradeshow marketing to television (currently). My field has allowed me to earn enough to keep 3 kids in college, a bad habit (audio) and still have some fun in life.

scooter

YES to the first statements. Especially your first few jobs, employers will look to see what type of person you are, if not directly at your coursework. And for many of us there is not a direct correlation between field (s) of study and selected occupation until later in life, if at all. The point is to better oneself, to be at least on par with the majority. There are also some social skills learned at University (not counting beer pong), that serve well later in life, as well as the network of friends gained by living through the same struggles as a young adult. I strongly urge anyone considering college to travel away from home. I attended our local branch of IU and don't feel that I came away with nearly the same education that my peers did who lived on campus.

Michael

After two years partying in a liberal arts college a friend said something about pharmacy school. I liked math, science, biology and chemistry so I thought what the heck. I didn't really know what a pharmacist did. Took one more year to get prerequisites done and grades up enough to get in. Did pharmacy school, and right before graduation when home to 5 yr class reunion. Saw the girl that I went to Jr prom with, she got drunk, picked me up and the rest is history. She was in med school so when I finished pharmacy school I got jobs to follow her around for her residency. Now we have two kids, I work part time and I am mister mom rest of the time. She now supports me in the manner of which I wanted to become accustomed. So just lucky I guess.

At one point during college I was working on freight docks midnight shift. I thought about dropping out and taking a full time job doing that. Glad I didn't. Dealing with people in the pharmacy can be a hassle at times, but still not as bad as breaking freight out of the front end of a trailer when it is 90 degrees out or when it is 15 below zero. I don't love pharmacy but I can tolerate it. It pays well, I work inside, I get to help people and at 50 my back isn't giving out.

How did you get to where you are today?

Ummm.... i drove here... and will drive home later. [:P]

Typical

engineering degree... did my last exam on a friday, started working on

the monday and haven't stopped since. A lot of people in Canada

have college and university degrees, so the "degree" isn't quite as

valuable in a monetary sense... but for me it represents more of a

personal satisfaction in what I do, and in the knowledge I have

gathered.

ROb

By working hard,doing my job well on time each time when humanly possible,building a vast customer base who send me so many customers each day is a busy day. Well not today...so much snow it is not ideal to drive anywhere unless you have to. I propose solutions ,build/configure big PC systems,servers install them. Quite a full time job,65 hours/week work.I enjoy what I do and in turn it helps with my audio sickness.

Oh yes I do this for over 10 years now,started part time 14 years ago.

Yes a college degree is important,unless you are crafty and smart..plus have the right connections...to sneak in a well renumerated position. Anything less and life can be unforgiving.