How did you get to where you are today?

Kain

• Moderators

Well, my life has been quite the roller coaster with most of my time on the low end. I made some very poor choices that entitled me to be a ride along with the plummer. At 30 I finally pulled my head out of my *** and went to trade school(electrician), but I was tired of working on homes that I could never afford. I was laid off and now I am in college for the first time at age 35. Quite the accomplishment considering I never made it through the 9th grade. I have made the presidents list every semester to top it all off. I tell kids to go to school and hang with the winners.

Good for you X, that's something to be proud of, your doing the right thing. 35 is not a bad time to go back to school your still young, keep up the good work. In my daughters graduation class to be an RN they were people in there 50's, made my wife want to go back to school at 48.

Good luck in school and with the new wife, you won't be sorry.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a degree in History, minor in Geography, and earned a teaching license for the state of Indiana.

Now I'm in Marketing for an Audio Company.

[:|]

Until we are ready to pay our teachers what there worth, then that will continue to be a common story. Our old Nanny just graduated college with a teaching certificate and after one year is considering changing fields.

• Moderators

That is very true. In my case though, it wasn't the pay that turned me off... The fact that I wasn't qualified to coach football was my biggest hurdle. I suppose I should've majored in English or elementary ed, but it just wasn't my thing.

As someone who has looked at many resumes and made offer/no offer decisions, let me tell you that the type of degree is often less important than having a degree of any type. Having a degree in anything shows that you have the self-discipline, perserverance, and sheer patience to stick it out. Unless you have long experience in a very rare specialty, you need a degree to even be considered for an offer. The school from which you get the degree is often critical. Many recruiters/managers outside the northeast are put off by Ivy League, unless you are applying to a firm that has Ivy/Seven Sisters connections. By the same token, degrees from notorious party schools/diploma mills are not good either. Thats when you have to work harder to set yourself off from the herd of resumes.

Here's little tip: Use thicker than normal paper for your resume. It creates a memory in the people who touch it, and makes it easier to find in a stack. Never, I repeat, never use colored paper. It is seen as frivolous and un-business-like.

Detroit, good for you! Its all worth it in the long run. Its all about motivation.

I was a Ramp agent for almost 10 years for a major airline in my 20's. Decided it was time to do something with my life, at the age of 30 I quit and started flying as an Instructor. I am now mid 40's with 11500 Hours of flying time and Captain on a 90 seat , state of the art $35,000,000 Jet.

If you want it bad enough...it will happen.

Chris.

I think a degree is important, whether you use it in the field you were degreed in or just to show that you had the fortitude to complete college. Employers do look for this as a plus. I have a AA in business management and a BA in Marketing. However, it took me almost 10 years before I really used my marketing degree. I spent the last 17 years in the media industry from tradeshow marketing to television (currently). My field has allowed me to earn enough to keep 3 kids in college, a bad habit (audio) and still have some fun in life.

scooter

• Klipsch Employees

Whe I finished High School I went to Klipsch in Hope looking for a job...that did not happen. Then I went to school again. That lasted 1/2 a year. I went back home and started work again. Installing audio in cars, construction, audio sales, meat packing plant, truck driving, bakery, fast food, not fast food, bike shop, live sound eng, shipping and a few things that I won't post about [:$].

Then, at 33 or so, I went back to school. I received an AA in electronics and was added to the Klipsch team (17 years after the first try)

So, I have done tons of different things over the years. It took more school to get me into Klipsch...been here 7-8 years now.

Oh, thank Roy......i think.

2nd time around AND THE LAST........WOW, that covers a lot of history! I must give credit to the MILITARY, since they are the ones for getting my head out of my *** at an early age

Basically, out of military, graduated college on GI bill, and applied for local job working in Logistics Department in the Corporate Office @ Perdue Farms, Inc.

A few bumps along the way, but right back where it started in 1986.

Thanks, Phil! You've come up with some good ones, too!! I'm surprised this one apparently went over many folks' heads. I thought it was one of my best (if I do say so myself). Sorry for the li'l bit o' self-praise. At least I'm not just whoopin' it up about my post count...