What are used La Scalas going for??????

homemadeheresy

Am Bidding on a pair on Epay, 10 minutes from where I work. Wanted a guesstimate of what there are worth so that I don't get carried away....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-La-Scala-Floorstanding-Loudspeakers-LS-BLS-GOOD_W0QQitemZ270093598429QQihZ017QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Currently I am the high bidder with a low bid just to keep tabs on them, am going to go check them out Saturday after work. Will follow up with then..

Birch Lacquer's... that's what mine were (mine were a mess) before Q-Man restored them. He said it took him 8 - 10 hrs to get the Lacquer off them, and would never go thru that again. :-)

Hard to say on that pair, but if you like what you see on Saturday, you can't put a price on the convenience of just throwing them in the back of the truck and taking them home with you. I would say about $800 - $900 for that pair without seeing them. They certainly look a lot better than the pair I bought for $875 back in '02.

Good luck,

Mike

lascalas are great speakers. I purchased mine about 2 years ago for 1150. They are 1996 models in factory walnut oiled. Don't see many of them. To me these(ones on ebay) aren't worth more than about 800. Patience is a virtue... but thats just my diluted opinion..

Dave

The tops have to be bad... 600- 900 tops./..no more... (U can kinda see it too.. ) Water damage, better make sure no seams are warped..

If your good with wood closer to 900, if not, and your going to want someone to do it.. figure 200 per speaker.. probably.. so 600+ 400 to get them really really nice.. So your up to 1000 for them.

Now when they are a debatable a 8 - 9+ speaker... they would be worth 1200- 1400 to the right guy who wants them. We have all seen people in here with wonderful results after a lot of elbow grease!!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

"Not sure where you got those figures, but I have 86's and wouldn't let mine go for less than $2K with ALKs and BEC tweets."

I am always more than happy to explain my opinions.

The question was what were good price ranges...assumptions is unmodified OEM stuff.

I bought 3 pairs in the last year for 500 - 600 bucks a pair.

We've had a few forum members also buy some for 500 bucks.

Plain vanilla 86's are not worth more than 750.   If you ever decide to sell your modified 86's, you may need to put the OEM stuff back in and sell your mods seperately to re-coupe your costs.

Folks that are paying 1000 for 70 - 80's models have just not been shopping around.

I certainly would not pay 2000 for 86 LaScala's....wouldn't even pay that for 2004 models....paid 1750 for as set of 2004's.

Plain vanilla 86's are not worth more than 750. If you ever decide to sell your modified 86's, you may need to put the OEM stuff back in and sell your mods seperately to re-coupe your costs.

I certainly would not pay 2000 for 86 LaScala's....wouldn't even pay that for 2004 models....paid 1750 for as set of 2004's.

I wouldn't exactly call mine plain vanilla 86's. They are drop dead gorgeous, and were restored by a very accomplished cabinetmaker. They have a beautiful golden oak stain with 3 coats of lacquer on them, along with veneer edge banding all along the fronts. As I said, if you want mine you will have to pay what they are worth...

Mike

post-6388-13819325716362_thumb.jpg

"I wouldn't exactly call mine plain vanilla 86's."

yeah, I know, question was about OEM LaScala's and what would be the range to bid on them.

I can only report past buying successes....for me, to buy 30 year old LaScala's for 1000 bucks, then have to put tweeters, xovers, and work on refinish, I'd consider that a failure...not a buying success.

Too many 500 - 700 dollar LaScala's in the NE.

• Moderators

"Not sure where you got those figures, but I have 86's and wouldn't let mine go for less than $2K with ALKs and BEC tweets."

I am always more than happy to explain my opinions.

The question was what were good price ranges...assumptions is unmodified OEM stuff.

I bought 3 pairs in the last year for 500 - 600 bucks a pair.

We've had a few forum members also buy some for 500 bucks.

Plain vanilla 86's are not worth more than 750. If you ever decide to sell your modified 86's, you may need to put the OEM stuff back in and sell your mods seperately to re-coupe your costs.

Folks that are paying 1000 for 70 - 80's models have just not been shopping around.

This is great stuff to archive when it comes time for a member to sell his LS's. [:P]

Speakerfritz, keep in mind you live in a major metropolis surrounded by numerous major citys. LS's probably come up for sale there 10 to 1 or 20 to 1 compared to where our good friend in WV lives. He could be dead by the time he sees a pair for $500, the good news is they are almost big enough that he could be buried in one and have one left over to give to his kin for a center.

I have seen one pair come up for sell in Austin in the last year (Pop. 1,000.000 metro area). Its all supply and demand, I would not be surprised if you can find them for $500 in LA or NYC on a regular basis. Out here in the sticks they are basically $1,000.00. The diferrence being whether you can live with lesser condition in order to have the sound right away, or if it is worth the wait, and it can be a long wait, to have better apperence. Others have already talked about the convience of having them ten minutes away. That alone is worth 200 to 400 depending on the value of your time, etc.

Last spring I put my 1990's (factory was unsure of manuf. date, 90 or 91) up for sale on the forum for 950, together with extra set of brand new K-400 horns, they were in average condition, couple of water rings on top, and even offered to deliver to Hope Gathering if someone wanted to pick them up there. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/753583.aspx Only got one inquiry, and they wanted more like mint condition. So I put them up on Craig's list for $1,150 and they were gone in a day.

I do agree with what everyone has said on here, from what little we can see, they do appear pretty rough. GIven my limited time and lack of woodworking/refinishing skills they would probably be a pass for me. However, if you are handy with those things, have the time, then $700, plus $200 for having them in your back yard makes em worth $900.

The best part of all of this is that they can be viewed with no muss or fuss, and a determination can be made whether they are worth the effort or not. If there was any kind of seam split, water damage, etc. I would pass in a heartbeat.

However, enough of that, I see this as a great opportunity to make some money. I think we should have a pool, 5 bucks a man, sorry meagain, person, whoever comes closest to the final selling price wins the pot.

Travis

Travis

• Moderators

Homemade,

Not sure if I am allowed to do this, but here is what the Audiogon "bluebook" says about value. I have found their bluebook to be very low on other items, but this should give you some idea.

Klipsch Lascala : Pricing info

New $2800.00

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

$1720.00 High

$1040.00 Last

$550.00 Low

Used $910.00

Jan 00

Sep 06

Klipsch Lascala released 1963, pr, 15in woof, horns, 250 lbs

• Moderators

Homemade,

Not sure if I am allowed to do this, but here is what the Audiogon "bluebook" says about value. I have found their bluebook to be very low on other items, but this should give you some idea.

New $2800.00

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

$1720.00 High

$1040.00 Last

$550.00 Low

Used $910.00

Jan 00

Sep 06

Thanks for posting that data. I paid $450 for my 76 Lascalas (black in just "decent" shape w/ blown tweeters). Based on local availability, it seemed like a pretty good deal, but maybe not outstanding.(tweeter diaphrams from BEC were only $48 though THANKS BOB!)

I've often wondered about the Blue Book on that forum. Is it based soley on sales from THEIR site, or is someone feeding it sales info from other sources (such as eBay auctions etc) Just curious

WOT

Homemade,

New $2800.00

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

apt_dot.gif

$1720.00 High

$1040.00 Last

$550.00 Low

Used $910.00

Jan 00

Sep 06

I paid $1300 for my '86s, then put in new crossovers and some of Bob's tweeters. Although I think they are a great improvement, I could have skipped the tweeters. I STILL think it was a good deal. It was only a couple years earlier when I could have purchased a local pair in the $500 range. I am STILL happy with what I got. It is all about what you are willing to pay when you finally want to buy.