A little off track but...............................

rsp1068

Is it just me being anal, or are there other people who give a rip about the "condition" of their gear?

I spend alot of free time "browsing" various spots (agon, epay, misc web sites) looking for bargains.

Quite often I read things like "gouge in faceplate, covered with sharpy, Doesn't effect sonics" or "missing grille pegs, but aren't they all"?

I think to myself, Hell No.......

Our kids are gone, we have grand kids, and when they come out, their parents keep a keen eye on them as to not touch grandpa's stuff. I have never had to say anything, I guess our kids have just learned to take care of their possesions, and let others do the same.

After the last one left the nest, her bedroom was donated to all the boxes and manuals for all the new goodies I was able to aquire. If I were to move everything would be put back in its original packaging to ensure safe arrival to its new destination.

I had beater tunes when our kids were younger, in anticipation of kids will be kids, parties happen when mom and dad are out of town, etc.... I remember being a kid. (Shoot, I am only 45)

I see varoius posts of people asking "is it ok to stack my xxxx on my xxxx", to which I think, sure, if you dont' care about its astetics.....

Just a little rambling here this morning, but I come accross people who appear real non-chelant(?) about their gear, and ask myself if I am just that anal.

No RSP1068....you are not alone.....I am the same way and recently talked with someone else on the forum in a pm about the same topic. I know accidents happen but some of the equipment you see is completely trashed. I do think there are those who only care about the sound of their equipment but have never even bothered to dust it off. I guess the whole musical experience is important to me...the sound...the room..properly displayed equipment...cleanliness.... especially if you use vinyl as a source. I usually feather dust once a week and keep an air cleaner with hepa filter going when Im not playing music. I am getting ready to polish the chrome base on my horn monos as we speak. I also clean the heads and tape path on my reel to reels each time I make a recording. I don't know if all this makes a difference but I have equipment from the 70s and 80s in near mint condition. One of my Teacs was purchased in 1973 and looks almost as good today. Keep in mind that I don't have children and no one has ever smoked in our house.

If this makes us anal then I know there are at least two of us. Good post!

Chuck

Hell No, your not alone..................I really don't want other peoples scratches, and dings..........some will tell you it adds character, whatever, if it gets scratched, I'll scratch it......................ANAL some will say that's my middle name.........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldbuckster...what gets you up so early on a saturday morning? All this talk about audio art? Character.....no thats for historic houses. Just recalling a song by a guy named Joe Smothers who played with Jack Lawrence and a particular line about an old guitar "this old guitar of mine..its been a friend...for a long long time...its made me friends and paid the bills sometime...I love this old guitar of mine" The next line "this old guitar you see...every scratch and scrape was kissed by me...like a child that fell and skinned his knee....I love this old guitar you see". I have similar feeling about equipment and try to avoid adding character. I agree with you...I don't want to buy anyones abused equpment. If you want to decrease the resale value of your equipment...then don't take care of it.

So there....as we often say down south.....I am probably preaching to the choir.

Chuck

TAR, I've been up since 4:00 am.................I don't know how to sleep, unless I'm watching a movie..........I take care of everything I own, it took years of hard work to get it, and so little to destroy it.................YUP, the Choir hears Ya'..................

I would venture that most of here are in the respect the goods camp. From an economic view your equipment usually represents units of labor performed in order to obtain, plus the cost of choosing to buy this item instead of either something else, or investing the amount. A rational human therefore takes care not to diminish the value of what represents their output.

You are right on man. I'm anal and I want it just right, it gives me pride of ownership. Having said that I've bought some used gear over the years and I'm only comfortable if I carefully inspect the item. I know most people are not as careful as me but I do expect a flawless face plate and a clean top. If it has minor scratches on the rear panel or somewhere I don't see it, that's OK if the rest of it is looking good. Vintage equipment is a different story, it's hard to go 30 plus years without some cosmetic damage, in those cases I think about what the damage is and can I live with it or not. If it looks reasonable for it's age, yes I might buy it.

On the other hand, I don't feel like my firearms are truly mine until they have the wear of a used but well cared for piece. Well polished magazine lips, powder stained cylinders, well mated parts. My cars are the same, I try to keep them like new but if there isn't a little rubber in the wheel wheels, the leather seats aren't creased just right, and the disc brakes aren't scored then it's not a car I've used and enjoyed.

Thanx, Russ

I hope that my RF-7 auction didn't drive you over the edge to cause you to post what you did. If it did, in my defense I'm selling the speakers in 100% of the same condition they were in when I bought them.

I personally value my gear very highly and can truthfully say that everything that I've sold audio related has been sold in the same condition I purchased it in, whether new or used. If damage is to occur to an item, is someone supposed to just throw that item away? There is still value in something that is cosmetically not perfect.

I go either way. I am extremely careful to maintain the condition of most equipment I have, but I'm not terribly fussy about buying something that has cosmetic issues if it sounds great and saes me a bunch of money. My Mc30s are rough looking but I got them in good operating condition for under $1K shipped. Not all that long ago, either. That said, if my wife or someone rubbed lettering off trying to polish them, I'd go through the roof.

It's really a shame that some people don't make a reasonable effort to take care of things. It's not that hard to maintain condition. People that ding car doors and don't put CDs in their cases just don't deserve what they have.

One slight exception to me is the gradual wear (like the creases in leather and scored discs mentioned above) that constant use of some items brings. A well used guitar is as (or more) beautiful than a brand new one.

I hope that my RF-7 auction didn't drive you over the edge to cause you to post what you did. If it did, in my defense I'm selling the speakers in 100% of the same condition they were in when I bought them.

I personally value my gear very highly and can truthfully say that everything that I've sold audio related has been sold in the same condition I purchased it in, whether new or used. If damage is to occur to an item, is someone supposed to just throw that item away? There is still value in something that is cosmetically not perfect.

Nah, it's not about anyone, it's a GENERAL statement..............period.......and a bunch of anal guys.................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gear only comes second to one thing! My family. (wife and 6 month old son) I absolutely cherish my gear. I think it's because growing up, I always told myself that one day, I would have a "respectable" system. I never saw it happening though, but now it has. I have put wayyyyy too much money (considering my income) into my system for it to get neglected or damaged or anything. I guess some people just don't know how to take care of their stuff. I understand that accidents happen and all. My wifes friends come over with their kids all the time. If they don't say anything to their kids about not touching my gear, you better believe that I will! Maybe everyone should enforce the you break it you buy it rule!

You guys fit right in with some of the audiogon ads I've seen, where there will be a perfect unit except for a 1cm scratch at the back by the power cord, and the guy will knock the condition down to 8/10.

It's not much different than cars. Some people wash them every week. I used to wash mine only if I was ready to paint it, but now I wash it once or maybe even twice a year.

You guys fit right in with some of the audiogon ads I've seen, where there will be a perfect unit except for a 1cm scratch at the back by the power cord, and the guy will knock the condition down to 8/10.

It's not much different than cars. Some people wash them every week. I used to wash mine only if I was ready to paint it, but now I wash it once or maybe even twice a year.

I am more in the camp with Buckster and Tommy....if you work hard for something you tend to take care of it. I bought my first car in 1966, a red Triumph TR-3, by working at the A&P for $1.00 and hour. I washed and waxed it regularly and maintained it as well as I could on that little bit of money. Other more affluent friends had parents that bought them brand new cars. I saw so many of those friends wreck there cars, never clean them out, or generally abuse them knowing dad would buy them a new one.

A 1 cm scratch on the back of a piece of equipment would not bother me....water marks from wet glasses on the top would. Magic marker art would. Dirt and grime would.

Anyway....thats enough ranting for this morning.

Buckster....sleeping in this morning?

Nah, not sleeping in, watched a show on IFC about the Boston Red Sox, my baseball team, and the heartbreak of the 03 season, the game 7 ALC vs. the Yankees.............but, we took care of the curse the following year, and they won the World Series on my birthday.........Go Figure.........

Buckster....my first baseball bat when I played little league at age 8 was a Ted Williams autographed model...had it for several years and then broke it on an inside fastball from Bruce Fleischer who went on to play some pretty good golf on the PGA and now senior tour. Williams put up some pretty good stats.....

Chuck

Nah, it's not about anyone, it's a GENERAL statement..............period.......and a bunch of anal guys.................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You OB, my sentiments exactly.

Nah, not sleeping in, watched a show on IFC about the Boston Red Sox, my baseball team, and the heartbreak of the 03 season, the game 7 ALC vs. the Yankees.............but, we took care of the curse the following year, and they won the World Series on my birthday.........Go Figure.........

Cool! I try to watch the World Series every year on a pay-channel. My boss doesn't agree, because it means I hardly get any sleep for a week. [|-)]

I've gotta let my wife read this thread. She thinks I'm completely nutz the way I obsess over the audio stuff... I even made a little wooden jig so that I could align all the same-size components in the rack! And, for some reason, I found it necessary to paint the insides of my Klipscjorn top hats flat black... like someone's going to be looking in there!

Maybe she's right! [:$]

Dang, Tarheel, I always wanted a TR-3... stlll do!!

Rob