Colter's Road-tripping

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a whirlwind trip. Left at midnight, Uhaul about 8:30, did some talking and testing, high-tailed it home about as fast as you can with a trailer, got here about 9 and Roger, my driving buddy Matt and another friend helped unload the MONSTERS.[:o]

Super tired, got a couple of pix and tales from the road. It was a beautiful day for a drive and we had a great time. Thanks for the offers of hospitality and terribly sorry to have to be in a rush on this trip, but 21 hours at a go without any shuteye just didn't allow any quality time for visits. [:|]And I hate to listen and run.

More in the morning, I'm hitting the hot tub and the SACK!

Nighty night [|-)]

M

Here's the rundown of the incidents and hallucinations of the journey:

Came home from another day at Klipsch and got things ready for the trip. I didn't really know the condition of the MCM drivers except that the K43's had been used in another project. I'm travelling a bit lighter but being an astute speaker shopper, I packed my tool kit with:

small Yammie receiver

CDwalkman (I know, no ipod, yet),

DeWalt drilldriver, cables and some basic tools (to take a look-see)

4-pack of the drink of succesful road warriors DIET ROCK STAR,

8 bottles of water,

packet o' paperwork (mapquest, MCM spec sheets, Uhaul confirmation, printout of email threads)

one pair of clean white socks

travel humidor,

half dozen mixed Cd's

big wad-o-cash

Buddy Matt was my road companion, mostly cause he has the BIG TRUCK, Chevy Z71 with dual cab, 6 foot bed, cap, and MONSTER ENGINE. Some of our mutal gang of buddies were placing bets on which one of us would return alive. Like brothers, we bicker and pick on each other a bit and have the few occasional eccentricities that the other does not care for. More on that later.He also is an occasional cigar smoker and had just obtained some fresh Cuban Cohibas.

My cell phone went off at 11:30 Friday night and Roger called just after that to awaken me for the journey. Thanks for all the well wishes gang. Matt arrived precisely at midnight and my gear was in the drive awaiting. After a brief check of gear and cigar cutters we lit up and headed out. Matt drove the first leg cause it was his truck and I settled in to listen to his music (the popular nicety is that driver gets to choose, right?). He had a new stereo in the truck, Bose speakers unfortunately, but had the XM radio and iPod setup so there were plenty of tunes to go around. He started with his iPod and pleasantly surprised me by putting it on shuffle but skipping past all his rap and hiphop tunes in favor of playing Bob Segar, Creedence Clearwater, and other more AOL rock tunes. This was going to be okay after all.

We drove through Louisville and Nashville and it was my turn at the wheel. I haven't driven a BIG truck for a while and Matt has the uber-blacked out windows so it was a bit spooky getting used to this rig at night. He had recently had the rear window of his cap replaced and they used limo tint and some other tint. The effect of which was that looking in the rear-view mirror showed not white but RED headlights, so it looked like a bunch of vehicles following us in REVERSE! [8o|] After a couple hours I got used to it though. I got us through the curvy roads of Chattanooga and towards Atlanta where we made the first stop at Uhaul only 6 miles from our pickup point. It was 8:30 am and we'd driven all night. [O] We'd been on the road 8 hours and no one had gotten hurt, yet.

Luckily the Uhaul guy was nice enough to call the night before to confirm our reservation. In discussing the trailer size, 4x8 floor sounded fine because the bass bins are 68" x 44" x 32" h. I discovered that the door was too small to fit the bins. So I upgraded to a 5x8 with the bigger doorway. I knew that the height wasn't sufficient for two bass bins, so one would rest in the back of the truck (barely fitting) while the other and all the mid/high horns resided in the trailer.

I'd brought about 5 trailer balls of various sizes in preparation for anything, but forgot to include my wiring harnesses, so it cost another $16 to rent the round 6 pint to flat old-style Uhaul light connector. But Safety First [8-|], and you definietly want to make sure you have working lights.

I'd called ahead to check in and Sammy, my seller was at home and calling his bro-in-law to help with the loading. We arrived at his magnificent home and went straight to the garage where they sat as shown in the photo above.

Hang on**** BSButton just phoned in, he's about 10 minutes from picking up some LaScalas in Illinois, isn't this exciting? I'm glad that he got a good weather day also. Funny how the sun usually shines on me when I'm buying Heritage speakers. ***

I got my little test rig put together and unscrewed the jack cup from the MSM, which is supposed to house 4x K55 drivers manifolded into a single horn. Must to my surprise, I was greeted with this [:o]: (photo to follow- I'm going out in the garage to do some disassembly to show you guys what I got) Needless to say, it took a call to Trey Cannon do determine whether this could be original Klipsch equipment or not.[*-)]

To be continued...

Personally, I love stories like this.. Part audio journey.... part fanatical Klipsch road trip stories....

To some, they may or may not care...... but to me and I know Michael, it is cool to know the stories behind the speakers we have bought. I said it before, some of you will not drive 20 miles for audio speakers you even say on here you lust after... And that is a shame! There are a few of us that will not stop at anything because the passion to enjoy our dreams with "xyz speaker set up" just makes it that much more fun.

Needless to say, if Mike ever wants to do a outdoor event.. He can DEF do it now!! hahahahahahaaha

The owner had mentioned that they'd painted the cabinets in flat black a few times, but I hadn't counted on the silver paint on the aluminum. It was pretty flaky, but here's a test section on the MTM tweeter cabinet. Those are 5x piezo drivers, intended for short throw use. Greg's setup has the MTTM which is 2x drivers into two horns for medium and long throw applications.

Here's a shot of a before/after with just a sanding pad with 150/320/400/scotchbrite to scrub the paint off.

post-10755-13819326535572_thumb.jpg

So when will you hook these up for a audition? I am drooling here....

Gotta get 4 x K43's first for the MWM bins. And build passive networks or do a lot of wiring on the amp rack. I think I have enough power for these, lessee...

MWM rated for 300 wpc would get the MicroTech 1200

MSSM mid base unit rated 150 wpc could use the QSC 1400

MSM high horns at ??? could get the Crown DC300AII

MTTM rated at 35 watts could use the BGW 150

Yup, that'd do it! But my Rane Xoer is only three way stereo! I'm thinking go three way with the tweeter networks doing their own filtering. There are also caps! in the MSM horn units, the original long can type like in an AL xover WTF??? Did these have their own protection circuit also??

WHEW, took a lot of work to get you guys this photo, but I managed to muscle the horn/driver combo out of the MSM high horns- MASSIVE, eh? I think the diaphrams are pretty rare for these so I'd better watch my power/clipping and buy a diaphram if I can find one. Thought I saw one last night, but was pretty foggy after the drive.

post-10755-13819326536002_thumb.jpg

Here is Sammy, the original owner of these babies. The band bought them new back in the 70's. After breaking up, Sammy (the drummer) got possession of these speakers. His wife was happy to get them out of their garage! A great guy- Hey Sammy, if you're reading this, know that I'll take very good care of them!

post-10755-13819326536912_thumb.jpg