Colter's Road-tripping

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael.. Those high horns with that magnet..... I am sure will beat out a BOSE cube system SPL wize?

The 4xK55 is supposed to be around 90 pounds. This in incredibly heavy, even without the cabinet!

I wasn't kidding about the coffee can size of this monster, whadya think 3- 4" voice coil?

post-10755-13819326546386_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hey BOB C- this cap was in the MSM cabinet hooked up to the 16 Ohm Gauss H4000 driver. Looks like 40 uf to me. Should I give it the 'sniff' test?

Michael,

Do not sniff that cap, the label say right on it that it has the E coli bacteria in it. There might have to be a nation wide recall of caps. Apparently your caps got to close to some Jack in the Box beef. You need to be careful and practice safe cap handeling techniques. Never use a knife on your caps and then use the same knife on chicken. Be sure to wash your hands after touching beef before you touch your Khorns.

Travis

Roger came over this afternoon, we disassembled the MTM tweeter packs and got the buggies and dust out of the piezo horns. Plugged em in and they are very low output (or I'm deaf above 5k). Suspect a leaky cap in the built in network. It sports a couple resistors, a choke, transformer and 8uf cap. One has oil all over the inside of the cabinet. Interesting wiring layout, I can't figure quite how those 5 are wired together at the block but we made a diagram.

I scrounged up an old EV15L and got it in the bass bin, and we setup one stack in the driveway. Listened to Who are You by The Who, which I recall as the first song I ever heard on MCM stacks- at Calliope Audio, not Indy Pro Audio. It was on a Nakamichi Dragon cassette at the time. They sound stupendous, this with just the 10" running full range, a single 40uf cap on the high horn and no eq at all.

Then Roger put on Dire Straits and we cranked it up (ok, as much as I dared at 5 pm on a Sunday evening)- GLORIOUS, just awesome effortless, not beamy at all 90 degrees or so with nice smooth fall off as you got to the outside of the coverage. And this was just running my Yamaha home receiver at about -30 db! I'm just trying to imagine these BEASTS running full bore under Crown power and properly tri-amped. wooohooo,

Roger and I just got back from pizza dinner. I'm chilly, sunburned a bit, tired from the weekend but deleriously happy.

Michael

Michael.. Those high horns with that magnet..... I am sure will beat out a BOSE cube system SPL wize?

The 4xK55 is supposed to be around 90 pounds. This in incredibly heavy, even without the cabinet!

I wasn't kidding about the coffee can size of this monster, whadya think 3- 4" voice coil?

4xK55 sounds like the option of having 4 K-55 drivers going into one mid horn. That looks like a single, but rather large midrange driver. I would guess 2" voice coil.

Here's a picture of my mids.

Greg

post-11090-13819326564296_thumb.jpg

Greg, just plug em in and GO man!.

Does your MSM bin have side doors so you can get to the drivers? On mine you have to disassemble the whole cabinet to get to the driver. It's surely an early design. I wonder which sounds better? That horn only runs from 1K to 6K, but that is critical bandwidth.

Looks like mine has somewhat passives built in, no wonder the guy didn't have the rack mount units. I think they had blown the Gauss drivers a few times, but that would be easy to do with only a single capacitor as protection. We wired them all up straight today and they still sounded great.

Michael

• Moderators

I would have posted earlier but when I seen the pictures , I didn't know what to say ! [:o]

This now moves you into a whole new league of sound, even for you, too big for a house ! [Y]

Ok the next step is to get one of those enclosed, weatherproof trailers.

Next get all the amps and gizmo's needed to set them up and running easily with little trouble.

Next put out fliers in all the "Female" college dorms in Indy that you do parties ! [<:o)] I'm sure DrWho will be willing to help, music and females, Doc will be there, if at all possible ! Now that could produce some stories and pic's for us old buzzards here on the forum ! [:D]

• Moderators

but Dtel, I AM an old buzzard. I got no business on a college campus. [:S]

Maybe we'll just have a backyard barbeque...

It's all in the attitude and hair, you got it covered ! Them young girls will love wild man Colter, I watched you for a week, It would work !

OK you may have to buy your diet rock star by the case to keep up, but it will be worth it , at least for a while. [Y]

Now DrWho will win them over with that baby face ! Now don't be mad DrWho if it works it works !

Backyard barbecue, your neighbors are not going to be happy !