The things I do for my country!

tommyboy

You are the Man. My son in law will making the same type of choice you have had to do very soon. He is at Pope AFB in the middle of Fort Bragg. He has a feeling he will be sent to Korea if he re-ups. He has been to Saudi and well I called it Car-jack-a-stan in the last few years. Later Bill

tommyboy

doesnt the air-force and army still have the blue to green agreement..........my son-in-law took this route, kept his rank etc..., he seems about as happy in the army as he did in the airforce, still doing the same job basically

i personally did my stint in the service a few years back (could have retired by now had i stayed in,.......okay alot of years back[:S]) the sacrafices you discuss are felt by many and rarly spoken of, it is without a doubt a thankless job, but it does have some benefits that translate to the civilian world when you leave.............discipline, work ethics, loyalty, self confidence, and honor to name a few that are severly lacking in the workplaces i have been involved with lately...................

Joe

I got it all sorted out. I re-enlist on Monday!!!! [Y] No bonus, no special deals, nothing. I guess I'm just a dedicated troop!

My heart goes out to you!! Gotta love them.... I know exactly where you are coming from. The troops are never told the big picture until it's usually too late... I was active 1969-1985 (my draft number was 3... Had a year of college, no money, no scholarships, father would not help with a student loan, etc.); did my duty (had tons of fun!!); just made E-7 list, language skills, etc. Walked in to re-enlist, figured finish up with 20, get out go back to school, start a business, etc..... Re-enlistment guy says, "OBTW, we are required to tell all Vietnam veterans that you must understand that you will lose your GI Bill (the old one $450 a month) December 89?". With my assignments, only chance I ever had a chance to take a shower, let alone go to college while on active duty, was "slim and none". Oh well... Took my 120 odd days terminal leave, interviewed with a number of reserve/guard units co-located with universities; picked one, and re-enlisted in a reserve unit for a couple more years, applied for and got a reserve/guard and a regular ROTC scholarship, finished college as fast as I could. Back then if you had over 10 years active federal service, you were not required to go active again. So I just stayed IRR, never looked back, except for Bosnia in 1996-1997 to wrap up the "experience"....

It's certainly a long range decision. If your current job will let you go to school in the evenings, etc., DO IT, it will be well worth it when you "retire" after 20 years or so. Education = money (officer/warrant candidacy), promotion points, retention, and really cool jobs.

Rigger? Hooyah!! Pack them well and save your 550 cord scraps for around the house!!

Good luck and stay safe.

• Moderators

I got it all sorted out. I re-enlist on Monday!!!! [Y] No bonus, no special deals, nothing. I guess I'm just a dedicated troop!

Tommyboy,

It sounds like things worked out a little better than you thought when you originally posted this thread. Re-enlisting is better than what you were looking at????

Best of luck and thank you for everything you do for all of us everyday.

tommyboy

I want to say Thank You for choice to continue serving in the Air Force! I know how hard it is to make that choice.

I did a year remote in Hofn, Iceland and came back to Bergstrom AFB back in my home and managed to be around my family and friends again for the first time in 4 years so I decided to get out back in 1987.

Thanks again and also tell your wife Thank You! To me she are is a big part of the military also and her contribution to our country should not be overlooked.

Just so people not in the military understand what a remote duty assignment can mean and why they can be so hard on families, this is where I lived for a year when stationed in Iceland.

post-13699-13819330592556_thumb.jpg

tommyboy

I want to say Thank You for choice to continue serving in the Air Force! I know how hard it is to make that choice.

I did a year remote in Hofn, Iceland and came back to Bergstrom AFB back in my home and managed to be around my family and friends again for the first time in 4 years so I decided to get out back in 1987.

Thanks again and also tell your wife Thank You! To me she are is a big part of the military also and her contribution to our country should not be overlooked.

Just so people not in the military understand what a remote duty assignment can mean and why they can be so hard on families, this is where I lived for a year when stationed in Iceland.

that's kind of funny. There's a guy in my shop, and his wife is definitley NOT military wife material. Long story short, he wants to do at LEAST 20 years, but she's not feeling that, so they're getting divorced very shortly. It's like they say. Military wife, hardest job in the military.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Your welcome for doing what I do. Gotta pay for this audio habit somehow, right???[*-)]

Just a word here about military spouses. Unaccompanied tours are hard on the service member, but at least we know our spouse/kids are back in the US. Few people outside the military appreciate what it is like for a spouse to set up housekeeping overseas. Military families do not usually live in American style suburbs. Often they have rental housing that exploits the so-called rich Americans. On-base housing is usually nothing to cheer about, although it is usually more secure. Throw in the language differences, the social differences, the different food-buying habits, and having kids in school and here is a monumental challenge.

My mother did this twice, once in Japan during the occupation and once in France when France condescended to be part of NATO.She also had a baby in France-me.

I'd love for military spouses to get more recognition and support for all they do to keep our military sane and effective.