Mark - You were right these Tekton Fostex 4.5 inch speakers are the 'Bomb' - My best value in audio in 30 years!

Cut-Throat

I have owned both versions of the Tekton -
wide side mounted and narrow. I think there is a very subtle
difference, and I prefer the wide-side baffle. In fact, I'd probably
prefer the widest baffle possible for any given volume. But, the
difference is very small. I think the wider one has smoother response
and projects a bit better. Small difference.

Mark,

Thank you as well for sharing your experience.

Also, for Kudret, et al-I had an exchange w/ Eric regarding the orientation and decided on the wide side.

Here's what he had to say:

"Regarding the driver
> mounting, if we do the driver on the wide panel,
> there is a very slight 1db bump in output between
> 600Hz-1200Hz (basically mid-range)."

Hope this helps,
Paul 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've got the Misses interested in these as replacements for the KG4's once we get the new wall unit set up. They're smaller and prettier, which means something to some people. Namely, the person that I sleep with every night, so it's kind of important. She has no idea what the response or imaging means, so that's a freebie for me. Heck, if I could get these upstairs, start collecting KG4's for an HT setup downstairs, then go for some Horns for the listening room, I think I'd be set.

Except for the garage

And the deck

And the dock.

And the boat

It never ends, does it?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just pulled the trigger to give these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250096964285&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting a try. I have a standard pair of 4-1/2 and a 4 inch pair with center and sub. Now I'll try this pair with a pair of filtered inputs on them. Not sure what the filters will do, but it will allow me to try them direct or with the filters.

post-12826-1381932966559_thumb.jpg

Interesting speaker - seen a number of these single drive units but this is the first with such a small driver. Would love to hear one and at this price it is worth buying simply to have.

As for subs. Yes - the Rel Strata 3 is about the most musical, least boomy sub commonly found. I adored mine when I ran it with the Heresy's.

I only changed it out when the Heresies went. It is a very fast sub but wasnt quite fast enough for the speakers I built.

In the end I went for one of these :http://www.backesmueller.de/index.php?CNT=PROD&ID=SUB2&LANG=DE

But good luck finding them - they appear to be rarer than hen's teeth.

Not the prettiest item in the world either - but by God they are musical.....

sub_2.jpg

Mark-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

. . . or anyone, what are the dimensions of the Tekton enclosure and what are the diameter and length of the port? I've attached the Fostex plans used for the single driver rear horn enclosure I built. They also have the plans for a small ported enclosure. How do those dimensions compare to the Tekton? I will soon build a pair of similar enclosures to try with my second pair of RS 40-1197/FE 103s. It will be interesting to see how the small vented enclosures compare to the rear horns.

• 1 month later...

I took the plunge on a pair of the 4" versions. I need something small that will fit on my desktop. The 4" are the only ones that are that small. I listen to the stereo in my office for 8 to 9 hours a day so I need a decent system. I am using a 19 year old Denon receiver and JBL speakers right now. I picked up another Panasonic SA XR receiver this week for the office. Should be a nice system.

• 2 months later...

I threw-in a low-ball bid for a pair of 4.5 (narrow baffle) and won a pair for $187!

I've been looking at these speakers for a few years now and am glad to finally own a pair.

Good Buy! - I'd use mine for firewood before I'd sell them for $187! - Are they basic black ?

Yeah, they're basic black.

It would have been out & out highway robbery if I had picked-off a pair of these in bubinga or bamboo at that price.

Like I said, I've been watching these speakers for a while on eBay, I think they were originally only offered in red, I recently purchased a Trends TA10.1 amp, truly a thing of beauty, and I think these Tekton 4.5 will be a perfect match. I'll probably use a Dell DJ Jukebox 20GB as a source for a sweet little set-up.

I have a pair of Bubinga 4.5 mint. Only used for 3-4 hours I'd be willing to sell for $280 + shipping guaranteed in new condition. I'm selling because I bought the Dodd preamp from Harry and I need to recoup my spending[:|]

Edit: Sale over, tried them with my new tube amp and they sound better than my Heresy's[:$]

The bubinga is SW-EET. What were your listening impressions?

They are very transparent and the stage presence is awesome. My problem with them is they are a little too bright. I just need to break them in properly.

Eric told me to put them face to face 1/4" apart and hook them up out of phase, then run pink noise through them covered with blankets for two days. I don't know how my wife will like that idea.

In fact, today I hooked them up with my new little Sophia Baby and I'm having second thoughts of selling them.

Eric told me to put them face to face 1/4" apart and hook them up out of phase, then run pink noise through them covered with blankets for two days.

That is the funniest sh#t I have heard in quite awhile.
Does Tom Sawyer have to show up afterwards to wave a dead cat at the moon or something?

Just messing with you, there might be some relevance to it, it was just the blanket thing that set me off.

Eric told me to put them face to face 1/4" apart and hook them up out of phase, then run pink noise through them covered with blankets for two days.

That is the funniest sh#t I have heard in quite awhile.
Does Tom Sawyer have to show up afterwards to wave a dead cat at the moon or something?

Just messing with you, there might be some relevance to it, it was just the blanket thing that set me off.

I think the blanket thing is to keep peace in the abode.[:)]  Same with the out of phase and 1/4" dealie.