Mark - You were right these Tekton Fostex 4.5 inch speakers are the 'Bomb' - My best value in audio in 30 years!

Cut-Throat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I apologize to the people that are interested in the 4.5's. I have a new found love for these speakers after connecting them to my tube amp. Therefore I am keeping them for a while.

There are a very few audio products that I just will not sell. My Bubinga Wood Tekton's are one of them. At $500 for the pair they are a steal. Selling them used I could get a few hundred bucks. Big Deal! - I'd much rather keep the speakers. They are that good and never cease to amaze the folks I have over.

Some day 5 years from now, I will probably wish I had bought 5 pair of them - For gifts or to Sell on Audiogon.

• 4 weeks later...

I've set up a little system in my office using these. Tonight I've been listening to Johnny Cash American IV: The Man Comes Around, which is all unplugged. wow.

They really are sweethearts. I just got the plain Jane black cabs. This is Eric's pic.

post-11993-13819343716516_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have mine hooked up to a Fisher 500B that I finished refurbing with Craig's help. I was 'testing' the receiver out and turned the volume up with the Bass boosted too much and the little 4.5 inch driver freaked out a bit. I had a discussion with Erik on the phone a couple evenings ago and he confirmed this. They are great little speakers, just don't turn the Bass up![:D]

I have mine hooked up to a Fisher 500B that I finished refurbing with Craig's help. I was 'testing' the receiver out and turned the volume up with the Bass boosted too much and the little 4.5 inch driver freaked out a bit. I had a discussion with Erik on the phone a couple evenings ago and he confirmed this. They are great little speakers, just don't turn the Bass up!Big Smile

Have you tried any of your 45 amplifiers with the little Tekton/Fostex speakers?

That would seem like quite the euphonic match-up.....maybe not.....

Have you tried any of your 45 amplifiers with the little Tekton/Fostex speakers?

That would seem like quite the euphonic match-up.....maybe not.....

Oh yeah.....! - Right out of the Box, I hooked them to my Welborne 45 StarChief amps They really did a nice job with female vocals. They really impressed me. I was always under the impression that you had to have a huge sized speaker with a 45 amp. But someone could be very happy with these Tekton's and a 45 amp in a small space like an apartment.

I finally removed the REL sub totally from my Tekton system yesterday, and banished it to the garage. They sound exquisite with no sub. The sub completely destroyed the musical balance of these guys no matter how I arranged the sub levels.

So Kevin, did you actually blow the driver out?

Mark,

No, I did not blow the driver. What I heard was just like an amplified spark! - I thought it was the Fisher 500B, so I hooked it to my Khorns and did not have any problems. That is when I called Erik and asked him about the Fisher 500B and Tekton 'mismatch'. - What he told me was that the Bass Boost of the Fisher (I had the loudness switch engaged) and the high power was asking the little 4.5 inch driver to reproduce bass notes it could not. So what I heard was the voice coil being slammed into the back of the driver frame. - I shut it down immediately and Erik said that I probably did not hurt the driver. They seem fine and I don't push them with the Fisher's 30 watts per channel anymore.

I am surprised that you could not integrate the Rel (was it a Strata III - like mine?) with the Tekton. - I have used the Rel with the Tektons and many other speakers and have had no problems getting them to fit seemlessly with them. You do have all the documents to 'tune' the Rel - right? Rel does stress that you do it by 'ear' rather than by specification. You know a good Sub should be seen and not heard!

Fini and Dee,

On page 4 of this thread I described the filter that I’m using with the Radio Shack 40-1197 versions of the FE 103 driver (made for RS by Fostex) as, ". . . a 10 ohm resistor and a 2 uF capacitor wired together in parallel and then inserted into the positive lead to the speaker." I believe that's similar to what is used in the Tektons.

Next summer I plan to make bass reflex enclosures and get a pair of new Fostex 103s from Madisound to compare the rear horn enclosures to the bass reflex and to compare the RS 40-1197s to the FE-103s.

In another thread Mark described the dimensions of his Tektons: "Mine are 11"W x 17"H x 7-1/2"D. A 2" dia round port pipe that is 2" deep."

Thanks, Neil. I just re-read the thread, this time with my eyes open...

So, are people preferring the 4.5" or the 4"? Mark, which one do you have?

As a woodworker, I think it might be fun to make a pair of these out of solid stock, perhaps with dovetailed corners to match my BBX.

Thanks, Mark. I like fiddling with the wood more than the electronics. I wonder if Eric would sell sort of a kit, minus the box...

Gregg said "fiddling with the wood"...tee hee...[:D]

I know from what Eric has written that he prefers premium grade MDF, and not the cheap particleboard slabs from Home Depot either. Not being a woodworker, I know not if the really dense MDF can be found at lumber yards, but he does believe cabinet construction with high quality MDF is better than plywood or other hard woods as far as resonance is concerned (although he will custom build any size cabinet out of any wood a customer asks for as an option). Just thought I'd throw that bit of information out there...

• 2 months later...

I would love to hear the six inch speakers. Have been listening to a pair of the 4.5 inch drivers in my office and have enjoyed them. However, I was pretty surprised when we powered up a pair Tony Reed built with the 8" 206E (I think) which we are using for A/V duty at church. Wow, the 8" drivers sound really good and more authority than with the 4.5 little guys. I'd guess the 6" drivers would do quite well in Eric's cabs.