honest answer needed....

InVeNtOr

hey guys and girls,

i need an honest question answered. the speakers i have are in my sig, are they good, bad, okay, needs desperate improvement? i would like to upgrade, they sound good to me, but i really don't know better. if i were to upgrade which choice would be best or should i let my ears decide for me?

I'm not familar with those particular speakers but let me try to give a general opinion that might help. You can assemble a satisfing music system with almost any collection of half decent components, it's all up to you. If you like what you have and just want to slowly try to improve or change something, you can start with upgrading the weakest link, buying cables that help with the systems weakness and gererally tayloring the system to your liking. Just remember there is no perfect system or one perfect solution. Just decide what you like and don't like and try to improve it. I still have some cheap *** systems that are just plain fun to listen to. Remember, have fun, play music and enjoy the sounds. I use my critical system less than any of my other systems, sometimes I just want to blast some tunes and bounce around to the beat, other times I want to hear the lips pressed tight against the reeds and the breath blow across the flute holes, it's all good, just enjoy.

Thanx, Russ

If its any help, for somewhat older components, that is a pretty nice system. I have 8 of the KSB1.1's, have compared their tonality (in a volume matched test) with RB3, RB5 and KG4 and they did quite well. Used to have them in my gallery and really like them.

The KSW12 was my first sub and it serves me well some 7 years later as the sub for my Ref system and sometimes used for rear sub for the main system.

I don't have any experience with your front lineup other than to tell you it's a matched system. All in all, looks pretty good. You don't have purpose built side surrounds, so depending on your setup, it could be quite serviceable. One concern might be the efficiency discrepency, you might have less of the surround effect or have to turn your mains down, I'll look up the specs for ya tomorrow.

Michael

hey guys and girls,

i need an honest question answered. the speakers i have are in

my sig, are they good, bad, okay, needs desperate improvement? i

would like to upgrade, they sound good to me, but i really don't know

better. if i were to upgrade which choice would be best or should

i let my ears decide for me?

Well, first, they only need to please you. It doesn't make a hill of beans what we think.

Since

you don't "know any better", go listen to other high-end

speakers/systems and learn what supposedly "better" speakers sound like

(and cost). After a while, you'll know whether you really want to

ungrade.

I'd point out that you have quite a number of speakers there. Upgrading and keeping that number is going to be very expensive.

I'm a fan of big horn systems. However, during the gatherings at Indy, Klipsch demo-ed a progression of systems starting from small budget models to bigger systems. I was most impressed at just how good the smaller ones sounded. So I'd think you're pretty well off.

You should consider attending this year's convention in Indy. That is certainly the best way to get an idea of what is possible. Plus it is very good time.

Somewhat off topic. People often find very big rewards by tweeking speaker placement and room treatment. There are no pat answers on what to do and it depends on your situation.

Gil

If you want to upgrade, I also recommend going with the reference line. But as already said, it is gonna be very expenive for you to upgrade. Your main's have 2 8's in them, so you'll need at least the RF82's, which aren't exactly cheap. But if you can afford it, or don't mind going piece by piece, and upgrading one speaker at a time, then more power to ya. Personally, I've been saving up for about a year now, so when I upgrade, I can do it all at once. I had to do my current setup piece by piece, and on my pay, it took about 3.5 years to do it. Good luck. [Y]

• Klipsch Employees

hey guys and girls,

i need an honest question answered. the speakers i have are in my sig, are they good, bad, okay, needs desperate improvement? i would like to upgrade, they sound good to me, but i really don't know better. if i were to upgrade which choice would be best or should i let my ears decide for me?

I like the 10.5, that's a nice speaker.

I see it like this. All you realy need to do is upgrade the sub. The rest of the system, if in good shape, will do a fine job. Are there other upgrades you could made? Sure. It's all about how you use your system. If you need more volume, get a bigger speaker system and amps. (just like in cars, if you want to go faster, get more HP.)

KSF 10.5 Floor

KSF-C5 Center

KSB 1.1 (4ea) Surround

KSW 12 Sub

All Canare Cables

Everything thing else is junk....for now.

well the answers seem consistent. thanks for the input. i was just wondering because i have had these speakers for 9 or so years. i bought them in germany when they first came out.

yes i do need a sub bad! don't get me wrong, i love mine, i just need a good front firing one! (at least i think i do).

jet, i think i have my eye set on outlaw, for now the 990 and i really don't know about the amp. my speakers have low watts so i don't need the power house amp, but i might want the "balanced" amp.