Smilinwall's on the way home, Thanks to Tom, Dean, and my extended Klipsch Family

smilin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're welcome Steve! A big honorable mention has to go to Dennis (DJK) who gave me the low pass filter for the dual TADs.

Tom say's they are the BEST speakers he has ever heard.

I told Tom to tell you that so you wouldn't be overcome by Audionervosa.:) Seriously, that top section does it all -- it'll sound dynamic and open at low volumes and split the atom when you lean on the volume. Don't expect an overhung fat sloppy bottom from these, the kind that makes your pant legs flap. I imagine the sound will be more defined -- tighter with good control. To get them to hop, you'll need them within a foot of at least one wall. Loudness is often used to overcome the lack of dynamics and openess found at lower volumes, but I think with these you'll find you don't have to listen very loud to get that 'all there' sensation. Lower volumes also have the advantage of taking more of the room out of the equation -- usually a good idea.

yeah really, what good is 'silky, transparent highs' when you're listening to a Les Paul through a stack of Marshalls or a terribly overdriven Hammond B3 organ/Leslie cabinet combination. I want speakers that make the grit and grime of Rock sound REAL baby!

GAWD those are gorgeous. Now I'm jealous! [:$]

Colter, I was referring to my cornwall's honkiness, and grain, at higher spl's, I can definately live without that, These should be better, at higher volumes, with the open baffle of the tophat. I may even put another ribbon tweeter on top, to get more air, around the notes.....I want grit, and grain, when it is in the recording, but, not the type that bothers MY ears.[:P][H]I had tom use special wire for internal connections, and add a switch on the tophat, s I can just flip it to go frm 2 channel/HT. They are also n SS rollerballs, for ease of moving, AND better sound reproduction.[D]yaman, me be rocking soon[;)]

I told Tom to tell you that so you wouldn't be overcome by Audionervosa.:) Seriously, that top section does it all -- it'll sound dynamic and open at low volumes and split the atom when you lean on the volume. Don't expect an overhung fat sloppy bottom from these, the kind that makes your pant legs flap. I imagine the sound will be more defined -- tighter with good control. To get them to hop, you'll need them within a foot of at least one wall. Loudness is often used to overcome the lack of dynamics and openess found at lower volumes, but I think with these you'll find you don't have to listen very loud to get that 'all there' sensation. Lower volumes also have the advantage of taking more of the room out of the equation -- usually a good idea.

Awesome review. I'm really interested in the review you come up with once you've heard them, if you ever do.

I have a good idea of what the bass sounds like because I've had several discussions with Tom about it along the way. I know what the midrange sounds like because it's the same driver and horn I listen with everyday, and the JBL tweeter is similar to the Beyma which I use. I'm glad you enjoyed the review.

There is an art to writing a review, and not everyone can do it. I know I can't. If you'd start with a few paragraphs about your audio philosophy, add a few paragraphs about totally extraneous things, and talk about your favorite wine, you'd not be out of place in any audiophile publication.

Can one of you guys tell me which JBL mid driver was used. I've been looking at alot of them lately and think I have what I want narrowed down. I would just like to know which one you chose, and both crossover points if possible. Thanx for any info you wish to offer. BTW they are beautiful. We may need to have a Illinois/Wisconson gathering at Steve's [:P]

Jeremy

Jeremy/Lisa,

The mid drivers are JBL 2470's with original phenolic diaphragms. The low pass for the network is set to 500Hz with zobel. The high pass is the original ALK and includes a pair of Al's attenuators for the JBL 2404 tweeters.

Jeremy/Lisa,

The mid drivers are JBL 2470's with original phenolic diaphragms. The low pass for the network is set to 500Hz with zobel. The high pass is the original ALK and includes a pair of Al's attenuators for the JBL 2404 tweeters.

And the woofers are TAD 1601A's. 26 lb alnico magnets, and Fab ulous sounding bass/mid bass, in fact I discovered Tad woofers shoe in the pioneer/tad room with 50K speakers, I felt the bass was the finest, at the show.....[Y]I just had to have em.

There is an art to writing a review, and not everyone can do it. I know I can't. If you'd start with a few paragraphs about your audio philosophy, add a few paragraphs about totally extraneous things, and talk about your favorite wine, you'd not be out of place in any audiophile publication.

From the desk of "Certified Recorded Audio Products". or CRAP, Our Audio philosophy is always that PINK and or WHITE noise is the best music to listen to for hours n hours....n hours on end. And our readers agree. And always of course.... to you our readers of this fine CRAP publication the louder it is .... the better... So every speaker I.. I mean every one we make for you right here in my garage.. (a hem) our worldwide manufacturing facility...... Yes the "world headquarters" when done... and the glue and spray paint from ace hardware dries.... IT IS THEN and only then... "certified" by me of course... I record the speaker in the books as pretty darn good. And remember at C.R.A.P. Audio, we also change drivers and x overs all the time cause when we find parts cheaper... to use on the insides...It is always better!! We even veneer em up to look pretty.... so it has to make some kinda impression on you as well as your neighbors when they come over n hear em...

Your neighbors will hear em make some noise..... and they will say something profound after a lot of drinking..... WOW>... they sound great with the pink and/or white noise too!!!!??? cool beans!!!!! (Told you it would be profound!!!) As they look at you, "like.... your a audio GOD," Of course you are to these uneducated audiophiles that live next to you.. or work in the cubical next to you... they are of course..... utterly not as intellectually constipated as I am, and you are, the proud owners of CRAP speakers. We know you, are readers, find at over 30 years old Japanese comic books thrill you ... and as such, you are too.. uuber intellectually constipated as well in a under appreciated and miss understood world you have to live in.... I mean our type of music choice of pink and or white noise... This is the best music as we hear it... Played through our CRAP Speakers product we can all agree on.... that it just sounds like no other non CRAP product out there.... There is nothing like our CRAP... I stand behind it.. and that is no foul bad hot air too.. ..... So how did we start??? You ask.. we stretch the truth... a lot.. Heck we even get magazines to print our stories of real CRAP truth by advertising in them too.. and we always get great results.. I mean reviews.... on our CRAP speakers too. Imagine that?

We use 43 drivers of all sizes and point em every which where we can to fill up your room in a octagon well most of the time 8 sided shaped speaker.. Why? Because we determined that different sized speakers work well, so get over it... there is only so many parts and electronics you can find in dumpsters... We also design our own crossovers not even borrowing from the best out there.... I mean why pay any attention to acoustic physics... We let them worry about that. Thats why we can also print our own graphs too.. Graphs always tell the story.... right... yep.. I hear the pink white noise.. it shows it right here....on paper.. take that BOSE!!!! OUR graph goes from here... to there.... ththththththtththththththththt

Did I mention 42 audio drivers is too few, and 44 is too many, in this CRAP philosophy too? It just happens to be 43 is right. I think I got it from the inside of a Bazooka Bubble Gum wrapper as a kid... BTW for you culturally here still reading this.... I as at the local liquor store and with my buddies just sitting in the parking lot.... While sipping some New Vow Blue Jolet wine.... I always suggest getting it in July, after it has set on the shelf a bit and deep discounted... Remember, too, corks always need to be up so it can dry out some too... Kinda like my philosophy in audio... Screw what everyone else thinks.... I know I am right.. Just listen to this CRAP!!

So my loyal readers, I was sitting at my work bench listening to pink and / or white noise.. hearing of course like all of you do too... the Orchestra before me.. and hearing it all so clearly in my head trying to dissipate the noise from the hiss and to the core or any music lovers pure love of the tone itself... Within the tone of Pink/ white Noise is how I came about at 130 decibles...my own philosophy of course the egomaniac man that I am... and you, my loyal publication readers who trade audio ideas much like your shallow approach to women.. OFTEN, without much appreciation or success.. but this is the Philosophy at Certified Recorded Audio Products.. or CRAP. You love us cause I don't give a ........ too!!

So my fine under circulation of 10 readers of this fine publication our 1st annual readers poll conducted by myself.. on myself, draws to an end.. I suggest you get the big Ole CRAP Speaker before we go broke trying to do the right thing, one person at a time, and bring it to the masses, at best buys, and Wal Mart near you....... Just remember you could have gotten your CRAP first before anyone else has too.

SINCERELY<

I Be Crappy... Editor, chief, CEO, X Over designer, wood veneerer, miss speller and Speaker wire chooser... and tester of CRAP Speakers... Worldwide!..

OK Paul.. Did I get close???

ONE disclaimer.... Smillin your speakers look and I am sure sound awesome... I am having fun with Paul..... And some others..

...While the Merlot has a slightly nutty finish, I find the Colby delish'....

Bill

Well , I'm no expert but a merlot should finish with supple tannins and a hint of black fruit . A nutty finish would suggest aggressive use of new oak and not properly toasted at that .

But what do I know ..........

Wow, thanks for all the kind words guys.

Amazing how much a guys life can change in a year and a half.

Scott, yes, that's most of the wood for your Belle there. I'm hoping to get the finish samples done tomorrow, sent out to you.

I offered to build a Belle for Scott to match his Lacquered Oak Khorns. He got me some good pics but having seen how small differences in materials and technique can affect the finished look I'm sending him some samples.

Steve has been very patient with me while I struggled with finish issues. That veneer is classified as a highly figured Cherry, no stain, just a wash coat of shellac to seal the wood and and several coats of crystal clear high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer followed by a couple light coats of semi-gloss to soften the effect a little..

I swear I'll never offer to veneer something that big again. The bass bins are 26.5" wide, 23" deep and 50" tall. the uppers are 26.5 x 23 x 12". Whole thing ends up being like 62.5" tall. There's a lot of wood in the bass bins, panel bracing and deadening. They are about 170lbs per, uppers are about 60lbs per. 230lbs per side. That's nutz. He said he didn't like listening to cabinets..... :)