Your Other Hobbies!

PhilMays

James - That is one stunning car!

Fini and James - making me wish I'd have kept a couple of the old fountain pens in my Dad's / Grandfather's old desk. I really only vaguely remember a couple. One had a little lever pump and the other unscrewed and then would pull the barrel open to load with ink. I always thought they were pretty cool. I used to have a couple of cheap (Parker?) plastic fountain pens that used ink cartridges (orange and dark blue) back in high school I think that used ink cartridges as I thought they were kind of cool to write with though a bit of pain in the rear.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to have a couple of cheap (Parker?) plastic fountain pens that used ink cartridges (orange and dark blue) back in high school I think that used ink cartridges as I thought they were kind of cool to write with though a bit of pain in the rear.

Maybe a Parker 51? Very popular pen, for quite a long time!

ref.996-parker.jpg

I was looking at Waterman, Cross, Pelikan, to name a few

Tom:

Here's a link to a site that will give you a pretty good overview of what is available on the market today

www.fountainpenhospital.com

Not really sure what to recommend in modern pens, I'm mostly interested in the vintage stuff... Other than a couple Namikis & a Pelikan, the only modern fountain pen I've had was a Waterman - had to send it back twice - never did work worth a damn. I can forgive a lot of hiccups from my 75+ year old pens, but a brand new pen that doesn't work is inexcusable.

James

Oops, you said it used a cartridge. Maybe a 45. Also quite popular. Introduced in 1960, about 5 bucks.

parker45-boxed.jpg

Nope that's not it. Available in the late 70's for about $5. Really chintzy compared to this example. I think I still have one lying around home somewhere. Wish I'd have kept the ones out of Dad's / Grandpa's desk [:'(] as they we're kind of cool though I'm sure very run of the mill... may have them in some of my stuff but suspect got trashed as I probably wasn't smart enough to squirrel them away, sold at Dad's estate sale, or might still be in the desk I last remember them in as my brother still has the desk and might not have ever cleaned it out.... have to ask him if I can take a look next time I'm visiting.