Your Other Hobbies!

PhilMays

colterphoto:

Well, I record the vinyl from an old crummy Kenwood linear turntable with a new 32 dollar Audio Technica cartridge thru a Radio shack preamp/mixer with, a JVC JX-S700 distribution unit, then to the computer motherboard 8 channel input using ASIO drivers and Sony Sound Forge 8.0d with the remote menu set to 44.1 (have too or you can't burn it to disc). I clean the record prior to playing then play it thru one time which seems to help performance before recording. I set the levels on the Radio Shack mixer to about -8db down from 0db. Then record each track and process one at a time. First operation is to delete the "thump" in at the beginning and end of the recording, then highlight the end and beginning and insert silence to eliminate the record grove sound. Then I use the Sony Click and Crackle remover ( in Forge) set at default and if necessary apply it again to remove all the crap. Next I "normalize" the entire track to "-8.0" db---brings the level up to peak bursts, and sometimes have to balance each channel separately. Then I play it through with the live preview on the graphic equalizer in Forge and slowly manipulate the freq response usually increasing the bass response almost 12 db in steps (can't exceed 0db so you have to bring it up maybe 6 db then lower the level of the entire track to -8 db again) (remember this just takes seconds to process) . If the record "High end" is lacking you can also boost the hell out of it with the equalizer at the same time you are doing the low end. It's all by ear with the sound system that is on your computer so it must be pretty good quality or you get into trouble when you play it back on a super good system. (and remember my ears cut off at 12.5 khz dramatically). If there are any really bad glitches on one channel you can replace it with the "overrite" option or the "replace with other channel" option. Sometimes there are some questionable peaks and I will run the "clipped peak restoration". Also the "Noise Reduction" can be used if needed. All of these options can be applied to the entire track or a small expanded highlited area. You can also "redraw" the waveform on the expanded timeline by hand drawing tool. The noise reduction is good for removing high frequency noise or hum but must be used sparingly as it will distort the sound. After all the glitches are removed I then normalize the entire track to "0" db on both channels. Then burn the first track to disc, then delete or save that track to the hard drive depending on what you want to do. Then record the next rack and start all over. If you have a good mic you can record an intro to the track if so inclined. When you play the CD back on your super system you will know how well you did and realize that your computer speakers are not cut out for this and you have to allow compromises because editing on your main super system would be a problem to set up. Normalizing will bring up all levels the same amount and will not destroy the dynamic range of the vinyl level wise but the frequency response changes will. Some recordings do not work well by boosting the bass. You can't make something out of nothing but sometines you can. There are numorous options in Forge some of which I have never used. You can add echo, numorous chamber and concert hall dynamics, voice reinforcements, etc.

And of course it is all supossedly illegal.

JJK

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oldbuckster:

All of the processes are accomplished in "seconds" so the longest part of it is actually listening to the track which may be many times over. Is it worth it? Depends on if you don't like to hear pops and crackles. The 44.1 burn sample rate probably should be 144.1 or 1000. But it is amazing how much you can alter the tracks to your tastes. The purist vinyl people probably couldn't even imagine anyone doing this to screw up their vinyl reproduction.

JJK

Well, not so much here, but I love firearms as well. We can't have any here in England. I have a conceiled weapon license, and absolutely love to shoot. It used to drive my wife crazy, because I wouldn't leave the house without my H&Kusp conpact. (40 cal) Oh, I love that gun! We were living in a rough part of town when I bought it. It's a little much for her, but I had her put about 500 rounds through it just to get used to it in case, God forbid, she ever had to use it.

Other than that, I love cars as well. Once again, not so much over here, as we only have one car. It's a little hyundai tiburon, but it's so slow theres no point in even trying to make it fast. We have a '00 cavalier Z24 back home. It's all motor, no turbo, and can get 14.87 in a quarter mile. It dyno'd at 206 HP to the wheels. I was going to turbo it, but it was going to be about $4000 installed. I can get two engines for that much. I couldn't justify me buying it. But she runs pretty quick. It will out run my mom's Z28. It's stock though. Not even a K&N drop in filter. I really miss driving that car. My dad's taking care of her right now. Oh, I really miss pickin on those little Honda boys. It's strickly for racing though. It's wayyy too loud to drive on a daily basis. There's no "bump in the trunk", as that just adds weight to the car. It's not lowered, or any of that "pretty" stuff either. Stock rims, nothing cosmetic. It really fools a lot of people out there on the streets though. She doesn't look quick til it's too late!

Working Dog training (Schutzhund/IPO and agility) I wish we
had access to a Mondio Ring field and decoys but the sport is still too
young and not very widespread.

Anyway our working dog of choice
is the Belgian Malinois. If this works here is a pic of our two
dogs. The older one is now retired but titled in Agility, the
young dog is training in Shutzhund/IPO. Were getting two more pups
in about a month. This stuff is more an addiction than hobby.

post-14277-13819329584352_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

colterphoto:

Well, I record the vinyl from an old crummy Kenwood linear turntable with a new 32 dollar Audio Technica cartridge thru a Radio shack preamp/mixer with, a JVC JX-S700 distribution unit, then to the computer motherboard 8 channel input using ASIO drivers and Sony Sound Forge 8.0d with the remote menu set to 44.1 (have too or you can't burn it to disc). I clean the record prior to playing then play it thru one time which seems to help performance before recording. I set the levels on the Radio Shack mixer to about -8db down from 0db. Then record each track and process one at a time. First operation is to delete the "thump" in at the beginning and end of the recording, then highlight the end and beginning and insert silence to eliminate the record grove sound. Then I use the Sony Click and Crackle remover ( in Forge) set at default and if necessary apply it again to remove all the crap. Next I "normalize" the entire track to "-8.0" db---brings the level up to peak bursts, and sometimes have to balance each channel separately. Then I play it through with the live preview on the graphic equalizer in Forge and slowly manipulate the freq response usually increasing the bass response almost 12 db in steps (can't exceed 0db so you have to bring it up maybe 6 db then lower the level of the entire track to -8 db again) (remember this just takes seconds to process) . If the record "High end" is lacking you can also boost the hell out of it with the equalizer at the same time you are doing the low end. It's all by ear with the sound system that is on your computer so it must be pretty good quality or you get into trouble when you play it back on a super good system. (and remember my ears cut off at 12.5 khz dramatically). If there are any really bad glitches on one channel you can replace it with the "overrite" option or the "replace with other channel" option. Sometimes there are some questionable peaks and I will run the "clipped peak restoration". Also the "Noise Reduction" can be used if needed. All of these options can be applied to the entire track or a small expanded highlited area. You can also "redraw" the waveform on the expanded timeline by hand drawing tool. The noise reduction is good for removing high frequency noise or hum but must be used sparingly as it will distort the sound. After all the glitches are removed I then normalize the entire track to "0" db on both channels. Then burn the first track to disc, then delete or save that track to the hard drive depending on what you want to do. Then record the next rack and start all over. If you have a good mic you can record an intro to the track if so inclined. When you play the CD back on your super system you will know how well you did and realize that your computer speakers are not cut out for this and you have to allow compromises because editing on your main super system would be a problem to set up. Normalizing will bring up all levels the same amount and will not destroy the dynamic range of the vinyl level wise but the frequency response changes will. Some recordings do not work well by boosting the bass. You can't make something out of nothing but sometines you can. There are numorous options in Forge some of which I have never used. You can add echo, numorous chamber and concert hall dynamics, voice reinforcements, etc.

And of course it is all supossedly illegal.

JJK

If you own the LP it shouldn't be illegal at all. You can make as many copies you want, in any form you want, for your own personal use.

Travis

• Moderators

Well, not so much here, but I love firearms as well. We can't have any here in England. I have a conceiled weapon license, and absolutely love to shoot. It used to drive my wife crazy, because I wouldn't leave the house without my H&Kusp conpact. (40 cal) Oh, I love that gun! We were living in a rough part of town when I bought it. It's a little much for her, but I had her put about 500 rounds through it just to get used to it in case, God forbid, she ever had to use it.

Other than that, I love cars as well. Once again, not so much over here, as we only have one car. It's a little hyundai tiburon, but it's so slow theres no point in even trying to make it fast. We have a '00 cavalier Z24 back home. It's all motor, no turbo, and can get 14.87 in a quarter mile. It dyno'd at 206 HP to the wheels. I was going to turbo it, but it was going to be about $4000 installed. I can get two engines for that much. I couldn't justify me buying it. But she runs pretty quick. It will out run my mom's Z28. It's stock though. Not even a K&N drop in filter. I really miss driving that car. My dad's taking care of her right now. Oh, I really miss pickin on those little Honda boys. It's strickly for racing though. It's wayyy too loud to drive on a daily basis. There's no "bump in the trunk", as that just adds weight to the car. It's not lowered, or any of that "pretty" stuff either. Stock rims, nothing cosmetic. It really fools a lot of people out there on the streets though. She doesn't look quick til it's too late!

Tommyboy,

That is interesting on firearms in the UK. I knew handguns were a big no no, but I have been invited to go bird hunting in the UK several times, so I know they have shotguns, and there are several shot shell manufacturers in the U.K. Can you buy a shot gun there? What all was involved in getting your CWL there?

Travis

• Moderators

Well mungkiman is not online. Last active: 03-25-2007, 1:39 AMmungkiman I have tons of Pic's and I love diving so much that I became a instructor. I have benn diving for around 17 years and teaching for 8 and still love it.

Thank you colterphoto1 is not online. Last active: 03-25-2007, 12:06 PMcolterphoto1 for the good words on my Pic. Coming for you it ment a lot. Thanks.

Wrench,

Where did you get the turtle photos?

Travis

Surfing ,

Here's 3 of my 5 boards .

Sunburn,

That photo really made me miss surfing. From nearly every day for 15 years to nada, almost got to the point of not thinking about it, until now.

Travis

Sorry about that Travis but you know it's never too late to pick it back up .

You still remember those dawn patrol sessions right ?

"Morning paddle out , Folly Beach SC ."

post-18289-1381932960862_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Surfing ,

Here's 3 of my 5 boards .

Sunburn,

That photo really made me miss surfing. From nearly every day for 15 years to nada, almost got to the point of not thinking about it, until now.

Travis

Sorry about that Travis but you know it's never too late to pick it back up .

You still remember those dawn patrol sessions right ?

"Morning paddle out , Folly Beach SC ."

Now you are really starting to pi$$ me off. What a beautiful shot.

Travis

I actually got my CWL in Arizona, before we moved here. They are wierd about guns over here. I think the way it works is that you can have shotguns, and 22 cal rifles, single shot, but you can't have them in your home. I guess you have to keep them in an armory or something. I'm not sure if you can buy a shot gun over here or not.