...when your fridge sounds like a teapot? Usually, when I close the
door, it sounds like the fridge is sucking the air out of itself. Now
it sounds like a teapot, and I bet it is the compressor motor/fan. Any
thoughts?

A few years back, a receipt was sucked in
the bottom and rubbed against the fan blades, with much the same effect
as putting a card in your bike spokes! This seems to be a different
problem...

This was posted a year too soon as I look forward to learning about and becoming a certified Teapot repairman in the future.

All I can say is run if it starts to boil over....[:P] Refrigerant does make a noise sometimes but I'm not sure what causes it.

Is it old?

I've got a Whirlpool that's a few months old. I'ts always made that sound. It's sounds like it's pulling a vacuum on itself. My theory is that the magnets that hold the doors closed are compressing the air out of the weatherstrip when the door is closed. I could be way off however.

When a frig or especially a freezer door is opened, room temperature air rushes into the storage compartment. When the door is closed, the fixed volume of air is cooled. Pressure drops below atmospheric pressure, resulting in a partial vacuum. Re-entry into a freezer cabinet can be quite difficult until internal pressures are returned to atmospheric pressure. Some high end units have a pressure equalization mechanism. Without a pressure equalization mechanism in tight, cold, and well built units, it can take several minutes before the door can easily be reopened. Just a thought, but maybe that's the whistling you hear.

When a frig or especially a freezer door is opened, room temperature air rushes into the storage compartment. When the door is closed, the fixed volume of air is cooled. Pressure drops below atmospheric pressure, resulting in a partial vacuum. Re-entry into a freezer cabinet can be quite difficult until internal pressures are returned to atmospheric pressure. Some high end units have a pressure equalization mechanism. Without a pressure equalization mechanism in tight, cold, and well built units, it can take several minutes before the door can easily be reopened. Just a thought, but maybe that's the whistling you hear.

Makes sense.....really got a chuckle out of your signature.

Chuck

Tarheel,

That was Sputnik's famous defense teams closing statement! A little less popular than "if it don't fit, you must aquit", but equally huge in Montana. After the verdict a roar of celebration could be heard across the land as the Men of Montana celebrated, and the women did too!

A side note: A very good read is a non-fiction work called Ewe did it too me! is quickly becoming a best seller in the region!

also could be the discharge valve on the compressor, or a restriction of some kind in the condenser coil (or in the txv like i had said). It's not unusual for those small fridges to operate in a vacuum on the low side when they are cooling. It's just old man. That's all. I make all sorts of new noises too. It just happens. If your ice cream stays well frozen, it is doing the job. That is the ultimate test of the refrigeration performance since ice cream needs to be around 0 degrees to stay good and hard. Anyway, enjoy your vintage fridge. It's a good one albeit a little whiney.