Colter needs Tubes

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you talk Mark into letting you take that Cayin KT-88 home he demo'd for us and see how it sounds on several pairs[;)]

I'd second that suggestion.

This is also an excellent candidate for a current manufacture unit. Current manufacture is an idea with merit on it's own, too.

Somthing must be wrong with your HK-430, mine is very quite and sounds wonderfull on my 84 k-horns. I have a scott 299b restored by Craig and it has plenty of power for my k-horns and sounds very nice.

Alan,

Just curious, which one sounds better to you and why?

BTW colter, if you do decide to go with a Scott amp, don't worry if it doesn't have a case with it. arfz28 builds some killer custom hardwood covers for the Scotts.

Colter,

Do yourself a favor and call Craig at NOSValves.com for some good advice. 810-287-6135

Here's a Scott 299D that may be worth bidding on and sending to Craig for a rebuild. I used to own a 299D but I F'd up and sold it when I decided to go seperates. In hindsight I should have kept it. It was that good. I am disgusted that I sold it to my neighbor. Now he won't sell it back to me. [:@]

Here's a 299A and a 299C on eBay. Scott integrateds are one helluva an amp for the money. I have owned the 299D and 272.

That 299D looks exactly like mine. The silver face may not be as fashionable as the gold face, but with a Craig rebuild job, that amp would sound great with your K-horns or Cornwalls (I use mine with my Corns).

The 299D has the advantage of a headphone jack (a real bonus for me since I have young kids that retire early), and the phono stage is very good for an integrated amp.

The HK430 is nice, it just has some buzz/hum on startup and I can hear it at the ridiculously low levels I keep in that room. We talked about doing a cap swap kit for the HKx30 series a while back but it never materialized.

I am just feeling that electronics should be my next step. Being me without at least an experimentation into tubes would be like being a photographer who'd never stepped into a darkroom.

M

From what OB and many others have said it sounds like a Scott is really good for the price ? Almost everyone who has sold them says they were sorry.

Audio Flynn, was it the " Legend " Cd, it's one of my favorite Bob Marley recording ?

Yes

I had the first CD issue and it was only OK. Remastered version is far more dynamic.

Michael,

I'll bring over 3 tube units if you wish. I'll bring a 14 watt per integrated, 30 watt per EL34 newer amp, or a pair of 75watt per monoblocks. I'll bring over a couple of preamps also. Your call buddy. You can judge for yourself. Give me a call

HarryO

The HK430 is nice, it just has some buzz/hum on startup and I can hear it at the ridiculously low levels I keep in that room. We talked about doing a cap swap kit for the HKx30 series a while back but it never materialized.

I am just feeling that electronics should be my next step. Being me without at least an experimentation into tubes would be like being a photographer who'd never stepped into a darkroom.

M

It sounds like you ought to at least try some SET amps. If you listen at extremely low levels, you might seriously like some 2A3 or 300B amps. I'm not kidding. They really excel at that, and will still crank it up on occasion. I think 3.5 to 8 watts would be good for you.

Bruce

i have three three stereo rigs But I'll comment on two of them. Sytem 1 Thiel 2.3 spealers, Cary SLI signature amp and an Apollo cd player.

System 2 a Scott 299c rebuilt by Craig as NOS Valves, Klipsch Fortes I's and a 25 year old Kyocera cd player.

I played a variety of music, but the real test was the 4th movement of Shochocvich's 5' symphonay with wild dynamics and lower and highs at the limits of ordinary hearing. The 9000.00 system is upstairs and the vintage 900.00 system is downstairs. My wife and I and a number of friends listened to both systems playing the same Cd's. After an hour they said lets stay downstairs. I agree it sounded better, more musical and life like. I have to admit system I had more bite and attack in the highs, but there was no comparison in the Dynamics. Mid range equal in both. Bass better and chest pounding in system II.

Vintage systems have a lot of clout and really give the best bang for the buck.

Just my two cents worth

Larry