DOORS REMASTERED

IB, NO Neil is not, was not, a great Guitar player.....but, he's the only one that can play his music, the way he wants it played. Great singer, again I'd have to say, NO........but....Don't we all get in a mood from time to time, and Neil Young is perfect for that mood.......My comments were strictly about marketing, not his talent, but I don't think it came out that way.

....................Don't we all get in a mood from time to time, and Neil Young is perfect for that mood.......

Well yes. Those moods when I want to kill myself![;)]

tc

"I write the songs that make the whole world sing......." sincerely Barry Manilow![:D]

What I call proper place and time, and yes, even Barry gets a little love once in a while.(self confession) ---- but not often and not ALONE (lol)

Seems poor Neil has a hate/love relationship........love his compositions, but not his musical talents, very much like I view Bob Dylan. Hell, life would be quite boring if we all liked the same thing, now wouldn't it?

The record company and any current living doors members are dogs because they waited til now to release these remasters they could have remastered and released years ago.

Jim faked his death, just waiting for this moment.... ruthless hippie turn business types, you really gotta watch'em. [;)]

RIP PAUL....

post-12381-13819329867418_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Now that I think about it, even on vinyl, I've never heard a bad sounding Doors album, always great sound. It might be time to go through my Doors, and restock.......Strange Boy that Jim Morrison.........Elektra was the original label they signed with, and their recordings, be it LP, or Tape, were always well done, quality sound..............

Glad to hear about the remaster, but I heard there was a lot of new stuff, as many as 10 bonus songs on one of the CD's, an early take of Strange Days that was omitted from the LP, only to be the title of the next LP, etc. I am curious to hear what they sound like. As of now I prefer these, 7.5 IPS original Reel to Reel tapes. This is my back up set, all still sealed, which I keep around in the event I wear out one of my working copys. While I agree with Gary, the red label Elektra's are nice, these blow away any vinyl copy I have ever heard.

Travis

post-15134-13819329927608_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Another shot. Yes Virginia, there was a time if you were an Audiophile you went with tape instead of vinyl and looked down your nose at folks with lp's. One generation closer to the master, no eq. back and forth, and no issues with trying to get more out of the grove wall. Alas, the evil record companies started going to high speed duplication at only high speed, and the quality suffered, and the poor R2R nearly became extinct. Here is another view of what they looked like:

post-15134-13819329930868_thumb.jpg

I had L.A. Woman and Morrison Hotel on reel to reel.............your right about Reel to Reels instead of LP's...played that game myself, expensive back then.........Just before DOLBY Noise Reduction hit the market........Cleanest sound for the times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the sound of the tape. Question is, How do I properly store my tape to keep it from going bad. I still have a good collection of tape from the 60's and early 70's. Most has been played but I still have quite a few sealed up. I've always kept them away from my speakers, upright, dry, and handled the boxes carefully. What else can I do. I was the only one of my small circle of audio friends with reel to reel. I sold my last deck a few months ago and I've missed not having it around. It got little use, but it was always a "Part of the Family" so to speak. The system just seems naked without it now.

HarryO

Don't laugh at this, but I can remember people recommending for long term storage of tapes, use the refrigerator, keep them cool and dry. I have never tried it, refrigerator was always full of Beer, no room.............I would say, a cool, dry room would work..................

OB,

Understand that! I remember always keeping an "Eye open" for a working fridge for the garage for storage on the tall brown bottles. I never thought about storing tapes that way. But then again, the fridge was always short on food and long on "necker storage" Even cut a few holes in the door for "KEGGER" access.

Thanks for the tip, but I'll hold off on this one until it is confirmed. I can't imagine losing a couple of shelfs of beer storage just for my tapes at this point.!!!

HarryO

• Moderators

Love the sound of the tape. Question is, How do I properly store my tape to keep it from going bad. I still have a good collection of tape from the 60's and early 70's. Most has been played but I still have quite a few sealed up. I've always kept them away from my speakers, upright, dry, and handled the boxes carefully. What else can I do. I was the only one of my small circle of audio friends with reel to reel. I sold my last deck a few months ago and I've missed not having it around. It got little use, but it was always a "Part of the Family" so to speak. The system just seems naked without it now.

HarryO

Never, and I mean never, store you tapes in a refrigerator. The humidity is usually way too high. The ideal storage is vertical, in between 60 to 70 degrees, with 50% humidity or less. For more information the National Archives has commissoned studies on tape life, best conditions, etc. There website has tons of information on this along with the results of the studies: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub54/5premature_degrade.html

Short of a climate controlled room, you want them in a dark closet, stored vertically. If your home has AC, and not prone to big temp varations of 15 degrees or more, they will be in pretty good shape if you keep your house at around 70.

Hope this helps.

Travis

I picked up the Doors "Waiting For The Sun" remastered CD from Costco yesterday for $8.99.   While I'd agree that all of the Doors stuff sounds good I am especially pleased with how this one plays on my system.  I should have picked up a CD I already had and compared the 2 renditions.  But these are at Costco for quite cheap if anyone is interested.