Quitting Smoking

woodsman

Right now I have 3 cigs left .

Don't know if I'll quit for good but I will for the next month at least .

Going to Costa Rica for a surf trip June 1st . Gotta get my wind back so I don't waste my time down there .

"Actually I wish I had 10 left so that I could make myself sick , that allways helps ."

• Moderators

Well day 1 down. It sucked, but honestly not as bad as I thought it would. I just tried to stay busy all day at work, then when I came home, did a bunch of stuff around the house. Hopefully today will be a little easier!

I'm right behind you Tommy Boy. Go Boy go, Keep it up.

• Moderators

My wife and I are going to try Chantix as soon as my prescription arrives. She already has hers but will wait for me. With us it's all or nothing. If one of us cracks, it's all over. We have neighbors who have been smoking 2-3 packs/day for 40 years and are on week 7 of Chantix. It's working great for them.

My problem, other than enjoying the hell out of smoking, is having the Dr. ask if I was a runner the last time I had a stress test/chest xray. Not what you should tell a smoker. Also, my grandfather smoked a pipe (inhaling) for over 60 years and lived to 95 with no related health problems. Both great excuses to keep smoking.

I did one of those tests recently also, in December, and tested in the 90th percentile in all catagories. It even went beyone a typical stress test, on bicycle, with breathing tubes so it tests effeciency of the lungs relative to the heart. But I sure don't feel like I am in 90th percentile anymore. I hate to think how I would feel it I hadn't of been a swimmer. What is the story on this Chantix? What does it cost?

Travis

I'm no doctor Travis but from what I'm told, Chantix releases the pleasure endorphins(sp?) (or whatever) from the brain and replaces the need for the nicotine. You still need to figure out what to do with your hands I suppose. The first week you take a small dose in the morning and keep smoking. You quit on day 8 and increase the dosage and continue for 82 more days. If you need more after that, your doctor can give you a refill. I suppose it's up to the individual how long you tke the stuff.

As far as cost, I have no idea. We use Caremark mail order for our prescriptions and haven't got our bill yet. I'm not sure how much, if any, is covered by insurance. I'll let you know when I find out.

Edit: Just got a call from my Doc. He says Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain. He asked if I was really sure I wanted to do it and it's no magic cure. You still have to want it.

Pfizer pharmaceuticals developed and manufactures Chantix.  They offer an assistance program for those unable to afford the product for whatever reasons.  I do not know their criteria but here's the info for any who are interested.  The web site is:  www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com and the telephone number is 1-866-706-2400.  I do not know if this is current but hpoefully it is.

• Moderators

I'm no doctor Travis but from what I'm told, Chantix releases the pleasure endorphins(sp?) (or whatever) from the brain and replaces the need for the nicotine. You still need to figure out what to do with your hands I suppose. The first week you take a small dose in the morning and keep smoking. You quit on day 8 and increase the dosage and continue for 82 more days. If you need more after that, your doctor can give you a refill. I suppose it's up to the individual how long you tke the stuff.

As far as cost, I have no idea. We use Caremark mail order for our prescriptions and haven't got our bill yet. I'm not sure how much, if any, is covered by insurance. I'll let you know when I find out.

Edit: Just got a call from my Doc. He says Chantix blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain. He asked if I was really sure I wanted to do it and it's no magic cure. You still have to want it.

Well if you look at the stats on the Pifzer site it looks like it is well worth it, assuming they are only half way accurate. Compared to Zyban (Welbutron) and placebo people were much more sucsessful in staying quit after 6 months with the Chantix. The study group was, on average, a 43 year old who had smoked more then 10 cigs a day for 22 years. Not light weight smokers by any means. Which means, on average, they started smoking when they were 23. They better fire Joe Camel's *** cause he isn't working on the high school kids.

I am going to get some and start one week before my quit date which is the Friday of Memorial day.

Thanks for that Gary, I can use every little bit of help.

Travis

Well, hopefully its smooth sailing for me now. 2 days down, but so far today is a cake walk. Yesturday SUCKED. I mean real bad. Good thing I don't have my ration card any more, because I definitely would have broke down and bought a pack. I took some sleeping pills last night because I couldn't sleep. But all was worth it, as so far today it's easy sailing. Last time I quit on the patch. But this time cold Turkey. If you guys got it in you to do it cold turkey, I would do it that way. It's only day 3 for me now, and it's already getting A LOT easier! Good luck to everyone of ya'll. This is a terrible addiction to have. It's like you don't realize how bad this addiction is until you try to give it up, and realize that it's got ya buy the balls.

• Moderators

Sunburn - Congrats!

Tommyboy - Excellent! I think cold turkey's best else it just gets dragged out longer.

I'm thinking for me, perhaps May 7th is my day (pending which way looming disasters go).

Tommy Boy and Sunburn,

Keep up the great work, makes me want to quit and suceed even more.

Travis

Good to see a lot of participation from so many folks. I thought this would be a good thing to get started. Once it is going, we can turn to others for support. Believe me, we will all need it. Just take it one day at a time, on some days, an hour at a time. Believe in yourself and stay with it. I have made it through some very stressful times in the last couple of months. But I knew picking up a smoke was not the answer to solve any of them.

When you really have a bad urge. Put on your favorite song, sit back and the urge will pass. Music really will help you with quitting. You put a lot of work into putting that system together, now make it work for you.

It gets a little easier every day.

Good luck to all who have quit or are about to.

Jeff

WEll, it's Thrusday morning. Haven't smoked since Sunday night. Getting easier and easier. Believe me guys. those first couple of days are going to suck. But if you start on a Monday, just look forward to Friday. By then, the nicotine fit is very mild, and very easy to control. I think if you can make it through those first few days, you'll be alright.