Just ordered a Trends 10.1 Class T Digital Amp - A whopping $130

Cut-Throat

This is one of those teeny weeny digital amps that are supposed to sound pretty good for about $130, like Deano uses!

Could not resist this one as it won an Amp shootout with Amps costing up to $2 Grand! I'll post my opinions of this thing after I hook it up to my Khorns.

I dumped the Monarchy Amps on Audiogon this week!

Shootout Link

Cute little bugger the size of a Wall wart!

frontback.jpg

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Kevin, at a $130, I think I'll order mine tomorrow. They didn't exactly use the best speakers to evaluate the low powered versions.

I have no problem getting a clean 100dB steady state in my room -- but my room's itty bitty and I'ze got real big speakers.:)

I and/or we (The Misses and I) need to get down to your place for an evening. Yesterday she asked about what could be done if we get our new entertainment center in the living room for something simple and unobtrusive. I believe her words were "A boombox you can't see that has a remote."

This Digital amp, with a cd player, with some of the Bobinga Fostex speakers, could be the ideal answer, assuming the cd player has variable output.

Hmmmmm.......

Is there a time soon upcoming that I could invite ourselves to your place for an audition? Keep in mind, there is a 7 yr old daughter that would likely tag along.

I hope it works out well for you. I finally got my AC adapter for my Sonic Impact T-amp today and spent a little time listening to the setup. Unfortunately its my wife's TV night and she has all her stupid shows she needs to watch. [:@]

Amazing, I ordered one too yesterday afternoon! Looks to be the best implementation of the Tripath yet (underrated specs, DC offset adj, upgraded parts, DIY friendly board) -gonna be fun!

Reviewer said the thing sounds great with Klipsch LS... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10_3.html

From the 6 moons Feb 2007 review of the Trends TA10 Tripath amp "The La Scala is perhaps one of the most perplexing, unexplainable mysteries in the audiophile world. When I looked at its specs on paper, I almost didn't want to listen. Who is willing to waste time on a frequency response of 53Hz to 17,000Hz +/-4 dB these days? But when the music came through those horns, I was flabbergasted for the second time. These big boxes could image. Not only that, they made sound in such a warm, airy, expansive and relaxed manner that the listener became totally absorbed in the music. With the La Scala, you don't think in HiFi terms. My earlier concern about frequency response had melted away by the refined sound and the spontaneously natural timbre... The La Scalas have their own way of conjuring up the magic of music. They are so un-hifi that you won't bother to look for the pin-point imaging or high resolution layering - and yet nothing is missing from the total sonic tableau. You are listening with your heart rather than with your ears."

The Trends TA10 just won a 2007 "Digital" Amp Shootout (the TA10 is not digital, it's pulse width modulated analog)http://www.stereomojo.com/SHOOTOUT2007INTEGRATEDS.htm

I and/or we (The Misses and I) need to get down to your place for an evening. Yesterday she asked about what could be done if we get our new entertainment center in the living room for something simple and unobtrusive. I believe her words were "A boombox you can't see that has a remote."

This Digital amp, with a cd player, with some of the Bobinga Fostex speakers, could be the ideal answer, assuming the cd player has variable output.

Hmmmmm.......

Is there a time soon upcoming that I could invite ourselves to your place for an audition? Keep in mind, there is a 7 yr old daughter that would likely tag along.

Almost any time except Wednesdays and Saturdays would work for me. Just send me an email and give me a day or two notice and we can work something out. During the day is fine, as I can arrange to be home.

Be careful though, you might end of with a Pair of SET amps and a Pair of Khorns!beer21.gif

The CD player would not even have to have a variable output as the Amp has one built in.

These darn little dig amps are so cute. I loaned a pair of Cornwalls to a friend as well as a cheapo Yamaha pre & Nak Stasis amp that came with my khorn purchase. I've yet to hear that Nak amp and if it didn't rock my world, I can sell it for $500-700 bucks. Basically, I'd like my Nak back and I'm wondering if one of these types of T/Dig amps would be suitable for this friend to run Cornwalls with properly. They have to sound good and be able to go to some volume though when needed. The volume thing is what's concerning me. I see the shootout mentions that it can only go to 75-ish db but the speaks weren't Corns. I wonder if there's any way to deduce & zero in on a model/brand of these things that would indicate if they can do volume cleanly? I also want to understand why these things are so liked. It's hard for me to grasp that something could sound really good at such a price point.

Be careful though, you might end of with a Pair of SET amps and a Pair of Khorns!beer21.gif

That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing!

The CD player would not even have to have a variable output as the Amp has one built in.

I noticed that when I reread this thread this morning. I think the Makers Mark was catching up with me last night. [:^)]

I asked my wife about next weekend, she's thinking we'll be "wanting" to be out working then but that we'd discuss it tonight. I'll know more tomorrow.

Over the years my non-audiophile friends have joked about the size and complexity of my equipment suggesting it was part of the hobby. I always replied that if I could have a little box with one knob that would do the job, I'd have it. Strange how these things can come to pass...

I've been digital for much of my listening now for 2 years. Seems the forum interest comes and goes, but is growing again. Seems many simply refuse to believe that there is no natural correlation between cost and performance...innovation does not know any rules. We cannot even rule out some sort of air motion transformer (yes, I recall the Heil, but I mean something even more radical) or way to modulate walls directly may produce some method of transducing that could make our big ol' horns obsolete.

Even the LP could change. I can envision a scanner or HD camera simply grabbing a very high resolution of a record, then processing it through an algorithim to "play" it. Nothing theoretically unsound about the idea...

Personally, I have pretty close to 0 resistance to technology change, even though I am getting a bit long in the tooth. I hope that never changes. My signature reads "If it sounds good, it IS good" and I am stickin' to it.

BTW, is the 130.00 each or per pair? Given these are small batch for a small audience, even at 130.00 each you can imagine just how cheap they'd be produced by the thousands. I still expect to see PC soundcards before long with 6X100wpc amps on board for 100.00.

"The times, they are a'changin'..."

Dave

Dave,

"I can envision a scanner or HD camera simply grabbing a very high resolution of a record, then processing it through an algorithim to "play" it. Nothing theoretically unsound about the idea..."

Ever seen the ELP laser turntable? ;)

"I still expect to see PC soundcards before long with 6X100wpc amps on board for 100.00. "

That you might have to hold off on for awhile. Even at 90% efficiency you would need about 660w of power... tough to do that with the 300-400w or so power supply in your average PC. Maybe with an external PS or something but then you get to the point of being better off getting it all out of the electrically noisy PC for better performance anyway.

Shawn

I bet they would perform even better bi-amped and active xover... A cheap experiment at least. I am thinking of trying a pair as I am curious.

Plenty of people doing this. The company also has a forum and some people are modding their amps. I mostly want it as a conversation piece. The tiny little amp sitting on the floor between some enormus Khorns! Price is $130 each.

hero_2+dared+batteries_2.jpg

Dave,

"I can envision a scanner or HD camera simply grabbing a very high resolution of a record, then processing it through an algorithim to "play" it. Nothing theoretically unsound about the idea..."

Ever seen the ELP laser turntable? ;)

"I still expect to see PC soundcards before long with 6X100wpc amps on board for 100.00. "

That you might have to hold off on for awhile. Even at 90% efficiency you would need about 660w of power... tough to do that with the 300-400w or so power supply in your average PC. Maybe with an external PS or something but then you get to the point of being better off getting it all out of the electrically noisy PC for better performance anyway.

Shawn

Actually, I followed the ELP through every owner over its 15 or so years of development. Good concept, but way too expensive. I suspect a deep pocket could make this work. No real reason for the arm itself to cost much more than a good CD player. Of course, no real money in it so no real money will be spent on it.

As to the amps, my Pany is 6X100wpc, weighs 7.7 pounds and puts out almost no heat. The vast majority of that 7.7 lbs is in the controls, case, and all sorts of thing unnecessary on a PC card. Even then it IS a bit of a stretch, but I am not too far off on the cost (I paid 127.00 for the Panasonic used) and it could be a special form factor to fit in a custom media computer housing. I suspect I could dismantle the Pany and get it to fit a media computer case right now. I built my first HT PC about 6 years ago and had to do a bit of customizing...but it worked. Still does.

Dave

The Trends TA10.1 is rated at 10 watts into 8 ohms and reported to put out about 6.25 watts of super clean clear power with the 12V power supply. With high efficiency speakers the volume and sound have been reported as excellent. See the 6 Moons review where it was put in front of the LaScalas! This gain is the proper spec for this Tripath chip unlike some other implementations by other manufacturers driving about twice as hard with more distortion. The Trends' designer/manufacturer follows the DIY community closely and the TA10.1 is an upgrade of the TA10 based on the DIY folk's tweaks of caps and filters, etc. The amp has a jumper block inside that allows the thing to either use the volume knob a la integrated amp or bypass the volume circuit so it may be operated as a pure power amp driven with a pre (as in tube pre!). Since it only has a single input, many will want to use a preamp to support multiple source selection, and if the preamp has multiple outputs (like mine) one may drive multiple TA10's as dedicated amps a la monoblocks. DIY folks have discovered an undocumented tweak whereby one of the jumper connections allows the thing to operate as a mono amp. Everyone seems to love the adjustable "bias" (DC offset) to dial in the most noise free output.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1082237 This is a 40 page thread for DIY enthusiats following the last couple of years of activity about the Trends TA10 and 10.1...

The shootout site is really worth a reading - the Trends won beating out some $2K contenders in a carefull blind series of tests.

I tried the Teac Tripath amp a while back and although nice it did not really do it for me. The Trends amp is really astonishing folks, especially those that have experience with other Tripath implementations - people are actually tossing their other chip amps and putting their big iron up for sale. I'm looking forward to receiving mine someday next week.

post-16099-13819330194658_thumb.jpg

For the same price I like the look, size of these more than the Sonic-T's[:o] Casings look to be made by the same company that builds the Creek stuff[^o)] So I'm assuming if one of these works well with LaScalla's 2 might really pump that 3.5 watt out[:P]

Not to mention that they bested them in the Amp Shootout I posted.