POLL: What Will Craig Do?

meagain

Progress report, Well 3 days have passed since the amps arrived at Craigs. I sent 47 emails (many today with my brilliant epiphanies). :) I contend the 2 requested pictures I sent of my wall rack & bias meter shouldn't count! Craig has sent 35 plus perhaps others that I trashed, and I have spent about 2 hours listening to Craig share the secrets of the universe & plate dissapation on the phone.

125.5 Pond On Peace Out

Have you asked Craig to put any bright blue lights on the amps? [;)]

Oh I received all kinds of special requests via little sticky notes all over amps and tubes. I promptly thru them all in the garbage [;)]

LOL

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I received all kinds of special requests via little sticky notes all over amps and tubes. I promptly thru them all in the garbage [;)]

"I WAS KIDDING ABOUT YOUR LITTLE LISTS I STILL HAVE THEM."

Craig - just send them back. Send me a bill. Keep the meter.

Here they come

Here come the b*stards

I heard it from a confidant -

Who heard it from a confidant

They're definitely on their way

There's one with this idea

Something about a hammer head shark

Nosehairs and flatus

Best keep your distance because

Here they come here come the b*stards

Bury your head deep in the sand

Anonymity is a virtue in this day and age

Amazing hand dexterity

Flagrant misuse of security

Better run, run, run, run, run

Run run run run, here they come.

She keeps raising her bill for pain and suffering to compensate for my pain and suffering bill. No end in sight for this one[;)] Besides she pissed off now ........... she think I really tossed her little notes away.

Craig

Oh poor Lisa can't take a joke...

Maybe it wasn't funny -- might be better to keep your business and/or frustration with a customer/friend private instead of turning it all into a big joke at their expense and publically embarrassing them. I'm not slamming you, but try to put yourself in her place.

I friggin' put one note on each amp to tell you as much info & history about them as possible and included another in the box of fuses. To do anything less would have been inefficient and non-helpful. I've not added calculated, but I suggestion a nice chunk of emails were me defending myself for various interesting reasons.

I did everything right by these amps. We treated them very well and moved them once from their positions. Never uesd cleaners or even water to clean them so IDK why the hole pins were oxidized. Those amps were tested/biased on average every other day. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes mid-day, sometimes at night. Sometimes each day. Sometimes twice a day. This is not a fun task for me cuz I HATE BIASING. They were kept on a tight bias reign big time. Yes, there are things being presented to me that I am having logic issues with and don't swallow hook line sinker. And sometimes apparently if you don't do that...... or don't blindly agree............. boom.

Oh poor Lisa can't take a joke...

Maybe it wasn't funny -- might be better to keep your business and/or frustration with a customer/friend private instead of turning it all into a big joke at their expense and publically embarrassing them. I'm not slamming you, but try to put yourself in her place.

Dean mind your own business my note comment was a joke and I thinks its funny. You on the other just shoved the old knife in again Thanks old pal.

Lisa,

You don't have to swallow anything hook line and sinker. But don't ask for help and advise then treat the person your asking for help like he is trying to fool you or something. You are not my customer you have never purchased an amplifier from me. I've bent over backwards trying to help you. The amps are 100% healthly you have managed to burn up 2 quads of output tubes and various rectifiers and YOUR THE ONLY ONE DOING SO. Dean had a problem and the source was household electrical issues and 24/7 operation he also had similar problem with various other tube amplifiers over a 5 year period. You refuse to except that you have some variant of the very same problem. Not much I can do to convince you. I still say the best course of action at this point is you simply sell the amps and be done with it. I have entered my last piece of advise on this issue. The amps work perfectly.

Craig

Lisa--

I still am of the opinion that a power regenerator will solve ALL of your problems. I know they are expensive, but they WORK. And you obviously have SERIOUS issues with voltage. I know this can be a huge problem, as I went through similar fits with voltage that was WAY too low--sometimes dropping to as low at 104-105 volts.

Alan - the lowest I've read my voltage was 121.?. The highest WAS at 124.8 ish. That's a small flux and I feel should be handleable. Within the last few days I feel my town has upped the voltage (perhaps a Spring thing). And I'm getting a high of 126.?. There is a draw on this circuit that when running (24/7 during Spring/summer), brings it down to 124 range. I could see this being an issue if I biased every 4-6 months or so, but I bias constantly and never let these tubes run away. Nor have I seen them run away. Trust me, I'm all over the bias thing.

Yes, I question having to spend $475 plus on a regulator just to run the amps with those numbers. Plus, it's a leap of faith "try this" purchase, hence a potential cash toss. And I question if my voltage swings above are the sole issue, why doesn't the issue come higlety-piglety (while running)? Why would that only cause it to happen somewhere between turning off/on? What is it about off/on only that's causing blowing? These are things I question.

Amps test perfect. Not a thing wrong with them. The pulsing indicator light on one is due to my wall voltage too. I guess we're done. Thanks Craig for your help, shoot me an invoice. If the meter arrives in time, just toss it in a box. Thanks!

"Yes, I question having to spend $475 plus on a regulator just to run the amps with those numbers. Plus, it's a leap of faith "try this" purchase, hence a potential cash toss."

What regulator are you looking at?

"And I question if my voltage swings above are the sole issue, why doesn't the issue come higlety-piglety (while running)?"

When your light bulbs blow do they do it on turn on or during normal running? Turn on is a tough time for pretty much any equipment. Capacitors need to charge, heaters are nearly dead shorts...etc...etc.

*IF* you wanted to try something instead of a voltage regulator you might consider a variac. That would let you turn up the voltage to the amp much slower then just flipping the switch and at the same time allow you to lower the wall voltage if needed. But if biasing an amp drives you nuts you probably wouldn't like dealing with the variac either since you would basically need to roughly set the voltage every time you turned it up.

Or just sell them and move on.

Shawn

Lisa lisa lisa................ voltage is not the only issue at hand here. you know and I know but you seem to refuse to believe it. I mean your home still has the old glass screw in fuses........... Your running large pond pumps on the same circuit as your audio system.... Many things can be wrong with AC electrical wiring besides voltage you could have a current issues also starving the amps for current and then quickly delivering it. Remember the flicker on/off light you reported that works perfectly here??? wake up to the facts your home has electrical issues and one way or the other your going to have to address them sooner or later. Your other vidio and audio gear is going to end up showing this in time. A house that old could easily have a serious wiring errors or flaws just from the age of it. The first thing FHA would demand if the house was sold with FHA finaincing would be all new service and electrical inspection because of the age of the wiring and those ancient glass fuse box. Factor all these funky electrical gremlins in with leaving the amps on either 24/7 or 12 to 16 hours a day equal quick death to tubes and fuses. Really with that type of hourly usage it really isn't all that quick a death to boot. On the bright side the amps work, test and sound just like the day I built them... I've cycled them on/off hot, cold, left them on over night you name it not a single issue so far.

Craig

Amps test perfect. Not a thing wrong with them. The pulsing indicator light on one is due to my wall voltage too. I guess we're done. Thanks Craig for your help, shoot me an invoice. If the meter arrives in time, just toss it in a box. Thanks!

You mean the one that only flickers on your home electrical system............ yup works perfect here.